86' Pajero/Shogun project

jamesfuller

Observer
Hi everyone. My brother in law has recently bought a mk1 swb Shogun. One owner from new and 80k miles, it has been stood unused for a few years now though so we will be doing a light restoration over the next few months.

We picked it up using our old tipper truck, we got some weird looks! I'll put some pictures up soon of progress.

jamesfuller

Observer
Its a 2.6 4 cylinder petrol with fuel injection and manual box.
I've attempted to get it running but the fuel lift pump isn't working so waiting for a new one at the moment.
The body and paint is like new, not even any rust spots on the wheels. No sign of rust underneath either.
I'm hoping to get it running, give it a full service inc. changing all the fluids then work over the brakes and wheel bearings.

jamesfuller

Observer
Nice find, did the previous owner do the FI conversion?
I don't know to be honest, I thought it was FI from the factory but I don't know much about these trucks yet i'm still learning.

When I get time to do some work on it I will get some more photos of the engine.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
From the factory, the 2.6's were carbureted using a Mikuni carburetor. It uses a complex feedback system so it will like a rat's nest of vacuum lines. Don't just start undoing them or you'll screw it all up. Note do inspect the individual hoses for leaks though as the lines do eventually fail and will need to be replaced.

Also the most common problem on these engines is a head gasket or even head failure due to the owner allowing the cooling system to get clogged up thereby allowing the engine to overheat. Be sure before you start taking it around you check the cooling system out and have it properly flushed if it's even remotely suspect... (i.e. you're not sure... then flush it!).

Other than this though you have a pretty reliable block although it may not produce enough HP if you're expecting to drive it like a more modern SUV which has far more HP than this older 4 cylinder engine. If you wan't more power though consider a turbo swap with a Mitsu 2.6 turbo found in Starions/Conquests. Not sure if they were ever sold outside of N.America since they were US built Mitsu's.

jamesfuller

Observer
From the factory, the 2.6's were carbureted using a Mikuni carburetor. It uses a complex feedback system so it will like a rat's nest of vacuum lines. Don't just start undoing them or you'll screw it all up. Note do inspect the individual hoses for leaks though as the lines do eventually fail and will need to be replaced.

Also the most common problem on these engines is a head gasket or even head failure due to the owner allowing the cooling system to get clogged up thereby allowing the engine to overheat. Be sure before you start taking it around you check the cooling system out and have it properly flushed if it's even remotely suspect... (i.e. you're not sure... then flush it!).

Other than this though you have a pretty reliable block although it may not produce enough HP if you're expecting to drive it like a more modern SUV which has far more HP than this older 4 cylinder engine. If you wan't more power though consider a turbo swap with a Mitsu 2.6 turbo found in Starions/Conquests. Not sure if they were ever sold outside of N.America since they were US built Mitsu's.

Thank you for your advise. I will flush out the system as soon as I get it running.
The low power isn't a problem, it will just be used for trucking about, nothing serious.
I don't even know if the engine is any good as we have not yet heard it running. It was a pure coincidence we saw it for sale and got it for a very good price, my idea is that if I cant get it running I will fit a 2.5 td from a newer shogun as the rest of the car is mint.
The starion was only available here for a very short time in the early 80's and I've never actually seen one. This engine is very rare here and hard to get parts for. In the UK most common is the turbo diesel followed by the V6.

GrassCat

Adventurer
It uses a complex feedback system so it will like a rat's nest of vacuum lines. Don't just start undoing them or you'll screw it all up. Note do inspect the individual hoses for leaks though as the lines do eventually fail and will need to be replaced./QUOTE]

It's has a fuel injection system. What's with this comment? Are you getting to old to read? Maybe glasses would help.

Nice truck James.

jamesfuller

Observer
I got a couple of hours free last weekend so we went to the barn where we store it and got some work done. First of all, to clear up the mystery, it has a carburetor not FI. My mistake, I had looked at a lot of cars that day and I was obviously thinking of something else.

So, we fitted the new fuel lift pump with nuts from a scrap Hyundi (the previous owner lost the original ones and the japs use some very weird sizes that are hard to find here)
A new battery and a can of petrol. After about 20 seconds of cranking it fired up on all 4 with no rattles. I couldn't ask for more after being stood for three years.

After letting it warm up I tried to get a gear. The clutch is seized. I turned the engine off and it went straight into gear, restarted it in 2nd gear with the brakes on and it let go. I gave it another check over for leaks etc then drove it out into daylight.

We went for a 3 mile drive along some dirt roads and it was pretty hard to fault. Just one sticking front calliper and a slight exhaust leak from the rear silencer. Very happy.

Some finishing off next week then hopefully get it tested for road use.

jamesfuller

Observer
A full service and change of all oils and coolant, new brakes and she is on the road. Will get some pictures in a couple of months when it stops raining. most of the roads here are 2 or 3 feet deep in water or just mud. Will get some photos of my mk2 shogun at the same!

jamesfuller

Observer
Update. My Brother in law decided the Shogun was not the car for him (his first 4x4) I swapped my Audi S6 with this, so now it is all mine.
I love it, it has real character and is great fun to drive. It is just used for weekend trips with me and my friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz