Labrador Loop

xjaugie

Adventurer
Great write up looks like a great tour. Looks like I've just added aother must do to my travel list. Add some trout fishing and it would be the perfect trip. :smiley_drive:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Great pics and great write up!!! This epic trip is up at the top of my list, your report makes me want to hop in the truck and make the trip from Ottawa TOMORROW!

Great looking van too.

stace88xj

Hey did you guys pass though london this summer if not
Somebody else has your rig. 🍻if that was you love it

96Delica

Adventurer
Thanks guys!! It must've been someone else! I think there's a couple guys with Delicas there, Bonsai Rides imports them so he was probably truckin' around in one for the summer! Bushcoat, doooo it!!! At least there wouldn't be any bugs right now!

Bakounine

Northern Explorer: I read your thread a couple years ago and found it extremely inspiring.

96Delica: You just gave me the impetus to actually do it. I will do this trip next summer. :beer:

Question for both of you: did you ever use 4X4 on the gravel portions of the Trans-Lab Hwy or anywhere else? I was thinking of getting a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari for the trip. A cargo version would be easier to convert into a (minimalist) camper but cargo-awd vans a rare and those in good condition and for a reasonable price even more so. So, it would probably end-up being a RWD cargo or a stripped-out passenger awd van. RWD cargos are a dime a dozen and easy to find, AWD are a bit rarer and most of the time a bit more expensive. Which would you choose?

I used to own a Jeep XJ and even though 4X4 was not absolutely required on gravel, I thought it was still nice to use on twisty gravel roads as it made the handling a bit more neutral and I could therefore go a bit faster with confidence. Not sure how the Trans-Lab is in that regard in the real world.

96Delica

Adventurer
Right on!! When you go, PM me and I can give you exact locations of where we camped if you want. We found some nice little places.

I didn't use 4x4 once. Depending on the speed you wish to go, any vehicle can make it. We even saw a Sprinter RV and quite a few cars. That being said, if you have AWD I'm sure it would be nice on the gravel. I left mine unlocked and was usually doing about 80kph on most of it and still was being passed by every pickup that came behind us. I only had one or two pucker moments!

They grade the highway religiously, we passed two or three a day, there are absolutely some soft spots and some potholes but they aren't the worst I've ever driven through. The worst part of the road is when you get to the coast of Labrador, it's (was) pavement. It's now swiss cheese and makes driving very unpleasant and slow. The road varies between fresh asphalt, perfect gravel, and FSR quality road, nothing a honda civic couldn't do.

I would go the cheap van route (or buy a Delica!) and just take your time on the road. The one time I thought I may need 4x4 was when I pulled off the highway onto an old staging point to set up camp. The ground was very soft, but there were other opportunities that I could have taken I'm sure.

Anyways, anything else just let me know!!!

Bakounine

Thanks for the quick response and for the offer! I will certainly pm you later on that. Good to hear you didn't feel the need for 4x4. That'll make my research easier.

The Delica looks like a pretty cool ride, but I'm in Qc, so plating it would not be possible, unless I find one already registered here (not easy). Did you worry about parts availability while in the middle of nowhere? This is one of the reasons I am considering an Astro/Safari. The other reasons are: truck chassis (tougher than other minivans), slightly better gas mileage than a full size van and easier to park in the city, if needed. Last but not least, I think I can fit a queen size mattress on a platform in the cargo version (or passenger version minus interior trim).

Do you have more pics of your van and your interior set-up? I am always looking for inspiration. :)

96Delica

Adventurer
For the inside, I removed my third row seating and built a permanent platform back there, covered in outdoor carpet. When I go camping I fold the middle captains chairs flat and I have a platform that I put over top. It gives about 18" of space underneath. My rubbermaid totes are 16" so it's perfect. The rear shelf stays in all the time, my Flickr account isn't working right now but when it stops being a jerk I'll PM you some pictures. You should sign up for the www.delica.ca forum, some guys have done some really cool things with the inside on their vans. If you do, let me know and I'll send you the thread links! A van is a van after all!

Yeah, you guys kinda get screwed with the import laws eh?

Parts availability I wouldn't worry about, once you're on the trans Lab, Labrador City is a good size, so is HV/GB. You would be able to get most parts. There's dealerships and whatnot there too. I'm sure parts prices are at a premium though.

atarijedi

They made LHD L300 Delicas for Taiwan. Just need to find someone who will import one. Pretty sure you could plate one of those in Quebec.

96Delica

Adventurer
They made LHD L300 Delicas for Taiwan. Just need to find someone who will import one. Pretty sure you could plate one of those in Quebec.
I think the issue there is the quality of the import. Japan is the best because the vehicles are in almost showroom condition. Apparently it's near impossible to get a decent one from anywhere else for a reasonable price. Or else they would be here already.

redruby

GREAT REPORT, I DID THE NFL AND LABADOR A FEW YEARS AGO AND PLANNING TO DO IT AGAIN IN 2015. THE DIRT ROAD TO INUVIK ALSO DID A NUMBER ON MY TRIALER, BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.

CLynn85

Explorer
Oh, and totally agree on the ferry, if we ever do it again it'll be in a berth, those reclining seats just didn't do it for me!

On that note - what was your experience with Labrador Marine? Ours was, umm, interesting to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles