"Flushable" portable toilets - Brand preference?

craig333

Expedition Leader
•Environmentally friendly, landfill-approved WAG BAG waste bags can be disposed of in trash with regular garbage. Thats from REI.

Captm

Adventurer
•Environmentally friendly, landfill-approved WAG BAG waste bags can be disposed of in trash with regular garbage. Thats from REI.

Sure the bags are landfill approved but they wisely neglect to mention whether the "contents" are. :confused: Not all landfills are equipped or allowed to accept human excrement.
Cheers

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Sure the bags are landfill approved but they wisely neglect to mention whether the "contents" are. :confused: Not all landfills are equipped or allowed to accept human excrement.
It's not exactly "human excrement" any more. The trick to the bags, and the reason they cost what they do, is that the "Poo Powder" absorbent surrounds the waste and encapsulates it into a gel, and then there's a catalyst that helps it decay and become non-contaminating, and more stuff to keep it from smelling. Mysterious science at work. All in all, if there's poop to be disposed of without a sewer or septic system, this is likely the most environmentally friendly technique.

Freebird

Adventurer
So you toss your environmentally friendly "MAGIC BAG" into the trash can or dumpster. Most places compact their rubbish anymore, so likely the bag ruptures before the "Magic Happens", so the feces is smashed out into the rest of the trash, right?
Net gain?? Or just expensive nice try? Maybe, in some situations, the best alternative?

Cassette toilets dump where you decide to dump them. That can be any rest room/water closet/out house/toilet that is handy/available.
Obviously it is nice to have a hose handy to rinse a couple times, then send the rinse water into the same sanitary place, but it is not a necessity every time. Alternately, rinsing water can be carried in your camper or fetched from a non-potable source, and it doesn't take very much water for a couple quick rinses (rubber gloves are a nice touch for this process, but with practice, not necessary).

Cassettes may not be to everyone's liking, but they do work well, are cheap (after initial purchase) and reasonably convenient.....

Dumping, rinsing, and replacing seems to be a male function (at lease in our camper..:).)

Fb

Additional: We only use the house cassette toilet typically for night time (urine) use if in a campground with sanitary facilities-unless the facilities are unusually rank. If we are dry camping we have a second cassette to fill, then it is dump time.

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
happy times

I was going to hug a tree, but a dog left his calling card. Then I crossed the fields and step in a cow pie. WOW

Last edited:

Freebird

Adventurer
Critter feces DO contain micro-organisms that can cause illness. That is why we do our best to keep flies off of our food with screens, wash our hands before we handle food, etc.
Human feces can carry human specific illness and diseases that are then more transmittable person to person-more likely to become a public health issue/problem than critter feces caused illness/sickness.

It is NOT a sanitary world. NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT. There are good reasons to strive for a "best practices -within reason" philosophy.
The higher the population density of any/all critters (including humans) the more important "best practices" becomes.....

If you intentionally don't follow "best practices" in the Public Health arena (wash hands after restroom, etc) (unless you are many miles from where other humans are-and will be), you roll the dice-and other people get to take the chances.....
In my estimation a considerably "less than noble" attitude, and practice, for a human with reasoning ability.

Fb

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Cassettes may not be to everyone's liking, but they do work well, are cheap (after initial purchase) and reasonably convenient.....
I'm a big fan of cassette toilets and have had many, and I didn't mean that Wag bags were superior to them or Porti-Pottis. But since they're emptied into sewer or septic systems, I wasn't thinking of them as a true wilderness waste system. Plus they're kind of tough to use backpacking, kayaking, etc.; that's where the Wag bags and equivalent seem preferable to alternatives.

Please excuse my poor attempt at clarification.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
There is really nothing better than finding that perfect dry camping spot, only to find that somebody dug a shallow hole and dumped their Porto waste in it. I have seen this many times... Neither system is any better than the other Shen it comes to dump time if you don't follow good practices. I have had a Porto leak twice now. I use the luggable loo these days...

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Freebird

Adventurer
Maybe, in some situations, the best alternative?

I was allowing for those situations-or attempting to. Typically in life no single method fits all situations......?
Admittedly I had vehicle based TC or trailer camping in mind at the time.....

Fb

Stereo

Adventurer
Ammo-Box toilet

While researching our options, we were very drawn to Eco-Safe's toilets because the Ammo-Box model could have lived in an area near the door of our small pop-top, slide-in camper. We talked with users of the toilet (river runners) who said it's great and very easy to empty. (They are expensive, though.) However, we decided against the Eco-Safe because the seat has to be removed and the tank sealed when in motion. We decided to go with a "flushable" model which remains untested due to the early arrival of frigid temperatures. Time will tell whether the ready availability and improved psychological and physical comfort will outweigh the hassle of moving it around inside or out of the camper.

I do know I won't miss trying to dig a decent cat hole in our Rocky/rocky mountains. In addition to the rocky soil, it's often hard to dig near screening trees due to the roots so the hole sometimes ends up more in the open. We can go hours without having any "traffic," but when I'm taking a dump, invariably someone rounds the corner. The last straw was on a recent trip in the Snowy Mt. Range outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming, an area with few trees but where they allow a healthy pull-off from the road for dispersed camping (though I always try and drive where there is pre-existing damage). I dug a nice hole with shrubs between me and the road and crouched over to do my business when the light changed and caught a rock structure on the horizon that looked a bit out of place in the natural landscape. After covering my stuff, I grabbed my binoculars and discovered we were in direct line of sight of a tourist overlook - complete with spotting scope! :D

If you do use a cat hole, PLEASE dig it deep and preferably cover it with a good-sized rock when finished or my dog will find it. Bleah! And pack out your used TP.

smithjosephine

Hi, Stereo

I read your post and did some survey on latest flushable portable toilets with all the amenities that you have asked for in points. I came in contact with the company named as the portable toilet company of Australia, which is counted in one of the leading suppliers of portable toilets. If you want, you can contact them for more details.

Last edited:

StanleyThomas

You can find flushable portable toilets on Fence Factory Rentals website. They are offering all the features, that you are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz