Offline apps for Android?

zuren

Adventurer
I was surprised to not find anything during a search. What useful offline apps (do not require cellular or data connections) are people using? I know most games don't require a connection but I'm talking about more useful applications that a traveler might use.

I'm revamping some portable electronics in my home. I have 2 deactivated Android phones and an iPod Touch 8GB. I like Android better than iOS, so the Touch is going on ebay. I converted the Androids into 32GB "iPod Touch-like" devices that can do music, games, WiFi, GPS, can place a 911 call (if signal is available) and each will live in my 2 vehicles. I'm just wondering if there are particularly useful/interesting apps that I load on them that would be functional when no data or cell signal is present.

Thanks!

burnoil

Adventurer
GAIA GPS, Backcountry Navigator, Orux Maps are all what I am experimenting with now on a 7 inch Android Galaxy tablet. I have found GAIA to be a little slow to move the map around, but it has a lot of nice features. Orux and Backcountry Nav have been the two that I tend to use the most for app responsiveness and features. They all do offline well.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Backcountry Navigator is nice and you can cache the maps for offline use. I run it on a 10" Galaxy tablet on a Ram mount (my old eyes couldn't see enough detail on a cell phone sized map).

JimBiram

Adventurer
Plus one for Backcountry Navigator. Used it the past two weekends with Samsung Tab 3 7" with a bluetooth gps puck. Tab has a gps but not sensitive enough behind Land Rover wired windshield. Very accurate and many free maps to download for off and on road use. Put a 32gb chip in Tab fir storage of maps.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4

ert01

Adventurer
I personally like to use Orux but it took a while to get it all figured out and operating the way I want it to. I cached all of Alberta, most of BC and Idaho, Oregon and Washington from Google maps topographic view at the highest resolution and it all fit on one 32gb SD card with plenty of room to spare.

Edit:
Correction, I did zoom levels 1-11 as Google maps road view and then zoom levels 12 - 15 in the topographic view. The nice thing about orux is that you can set it to change map sets at a specific zoom level so I zoom out and have street navigation and then zoom in and get the Topo details.

This is on my Samsung Tab 2 7.0 using the factory GPS internal antenna.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
One more vote for Backcountry Navigator PRO. You can download the 'tiles' you need ahead of time so it works great.

esh

Explorer
The new beta version of GAIA is looking good. It is being developed separately from the current production app. Last I updated they didn't have offline mode in use, but the zoom transitions were astonishing.

Caching maps offline shouldn't be a nice feature, it should be a requirement. And the download area should be massive.

MikeJj

I can recommend Navitel Navigator GPS & Maps ( you can find it here: apkbird.com/en/search/1?query=navitel ). You can install it, download all the needed maps and after use in the offline mode.
Of course, maps are kind of 'heavy' and you should be ready for this, but the app, in general, is quite nice and saved me many times :sombrero:

maxi450x

Mapsme works great in Argentina, for paved and unpaved roads, used ir on muy way to cachi and iruya and offline was great
3fbba7f17f61b820d84513fd867f7133.jpg
88c25b47612c1e7a8cb85155b0625e0a.jpg
e087fcc46709a960a7d6b7b532826a1e.jpg

Enviado desde mi S60 mediante Tapatalk

A_anu

https://www.instagram.com/descubiendourantia/?hl=e
hello I used map.me for android, now it seems that it has a hard rival, OsmAnd. Greetings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles