The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge A100 build

gunnermoose

Adventurer
Subscribed. I want to take an old D100 and make an overland vehicle. I like the simplicity of the older vehicles.

I look forward to following this transition!

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I Scored this Dickenson Newport solid fuel yacht stove for $75.00. It's small enough to mount in the van and that might be fun...
jasehene.jpg

a8a2eryd.jpg

Test fire in the back yard, sucker drafts very well, the little tile slides down to close the hole too and it has some weird swing damper on the flue for safety reasons (I read)

ype2aruj.jpg

I mounted it on an umbrella stand and used it on the Patio this past winter for a couple parties, and it throws out a lot of heat. Also burns charcoal exceedingly well. I can throw 20 briquettes in, and it will produce steady heat for several hours with it damped. Here it is with my Slat bed I had just finished.
IMG_2706.jpg

So... Should I cut a hole in the roof and install this? I was thinking I could make it a thumb screw mounting so it could be removed easily and make a removable hatch, or even a vent assembly for summer and for cooking... I have a good spark arrestor, and extra flue pipe, which is all Stainless.

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Birthday present! Yeah, I know... Harbor freight is not the best, but I'm not in production and am going to be using it for body work and small stuff.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381556271.052322.jpg

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

tommonta

Observer
Cut a hole in the roof!

That stove brings back many fond memories. Almost 20 years ago my wife and I bought a 1980 Ford van. I installed a Dickenson wood stove that we found at a used sailboat supply store. When travelling, we would stop at construction sites and get wood scraps to feed the fire. Even in the mountains in winter we would have to open the windows every time a fire was going because the stove put out so much heat for such a small space. I cut a hole in the roof for the stove pipe and used high temperature silicone to seal around the flange. We made a cap for the top to use when driving and had a section of stove pipe to stick on top when we had a fire. The extension on top helped make the stove draw well.

I hope to see pictures posted of your installation.

arlon

Adventurer
It would have been easier and cheaper to start with a newer vehicle. That said, I'm just thrilled that this old dawg is going to bark again! I'll be watching!

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I don't know about that "cheaper" part... Or easier... This beast is rock simple, and parts are very cheap, plus, since it's so simple, I am not stuck buying factory parts.

I ordered all new door locks and 2 tires today. Tires are an issue as the size is hard to get. I will replace the two bad ones and work on getting some 15" rims.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Hole in roof?

This is really a fun project. Many ways to go- and, of course, your way is the best!

As to the stove, that little monster will likely heat you out of the van in all but the coldest weather. I would be inclined to try it out the back door first. Perhaps, remove a window, insert sheetmetal replacement, add stovepipe els, and have at it. If the back seems like the place for it, you might even open the door, place it on a little enclosed ledge and run the flue straight up.

Blank, sorta, slate.

Have fun.
Dale

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Ok, so I'm ending up going on a little trip this weekend and my girl doesn't want to sleep on the ground. Enter the ghetto CDX and milk crate Queen bed.

Strictly temporary, I promise!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381962857.485025.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381962878.059834.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381962900.762454.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381962928.985254.jpg

In other news, got new rubber this week some Chinese LT radials. Also picked up some parts for house wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior