The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge A100 build

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I pulled the heater when I re wired the van last summer. I put it back in today after a thorough cleaning. It's a simple unit and has no valve. Works well and again, rock simple. Need to wire it still.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381981136.340133.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381981154.231145.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381981169.080725.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381981190.832114.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381981220.381301.jpg

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
I mounted it on an umbrella stand and used it on the Patio this past winter for a couple parties, and it throws out a lot of heat. Also burns charcoal exceedingly well. I can throw 20 briquettes in, and it will produce steady heat for several hours with it damped. Here it is with my Slat bed I had just finished.

Please be VERY, VERY careful with charcoal (and even wood to a lesser extent). Charcoal produces plenty of Carbon Monoxide, it's a silent killer, and stoves are famous for leaking exhaust gasses. Make sure to install a carbon monoxide detector before you fire it for the first time in an enclosed space. I knew a guy who had that exact same stove installed on his boat, and he nearly died, but fortunately a friend found him and took him to the hospital. Another few minutes and he might not have made it. Otherwise, cool build, the old slant 6 was one of the best motors ever made, and are almost impossible to kill. Enjoy, but be safe............Arctic Traveller

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Thanks for the warning, very aware of the risks. I have plan for both the alarm and a positive pressure intake so I can maintain a good air flow in, when buttoned down. I have 3 cooling fans from a 1U rack mount server that I am installing inside the fresh air vent. Combined they can move about 90CF M, and that should keep the stove nice and happy

bdog1

Adventurer
I love milk crates. A square 5 gal. bucket. They work for everything!

Sent from my weak AT&T iPhone

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Got new locks for all the doors from eViLbay. Not so easy to find, but when I did, they only cost $10.00 each. Need to get them re keyed to match ignition, but so worth it. None of my 49 year old locks work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382116250.708196.jpg

Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Went for our first camping trip in the van. Spent two nights at the La Jolla Indian Reservation, Palomar mountain, San Diego, CA, for the 10th annual Decompression Event "Youtopia", where I help run a bar.

The Van performed flawlessly on this 140 mile round trip, and camping in it was fun. Had a very unlevel spot, so the ghetto bed was great as I leveled the bed with blocks and made it more comfy. My honey was happy for the hard shell and that it was warmer than renting. Still, I really need to get to work on insulation and paneling the interior, get building on the accommodations.

This was kind of a homecoming for the van too, as it spent 40 years just 14 miles from the campsite

a9atypab.jpg

ruzagusa.jpg

that's my honey under the giant pile of blankets... It was pretty chaotic in the van...

bdog1

Adventurer
No lava lamp? Really! Great to see the van in use. What's the interior plan? Retro?

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Well right now, it's "early dumpster"...

I think I'm going to go Swedish modern though, and call it "Norwegian Wood"... In true shag wagon form 8)

bdog1

Adventurer
Good excuse to go paneling, barrel chairs and a cartwheel chandelier.
Those 70's theme vans were pretty fun. Tuff to even find many pic' s nowadays.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
But this one is a '64, so I want to go 60's modern, hence the Danish mod deal. Blond wood, hardwood floors, clean and simple and functional.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Yeah... That's a travesty... The blue is nice, but ****** about the wood? Terrible!

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Big plans this weekend, going junkyarding to look for Miata seats and maybe a conversion seat from an Astro, going to patch and re install the heater, and I finally got a period correct 14" rim for a spare. Going to clean it up and Rattle can that. Also ordered the window seals this AM, so if there is still time, am going to start stripping out the donor back doors.

Wiener Dawg approved.
etypeny7.jpg

bdog1

Adventurer
Cool deal. I swapped wheels myself lately and went with Mrs. approved 31". Then found a matching spare. Built a basic back rack. Sold my 33's and my "street tires" for a little cash back!
na8u4use.jpg
4a6ytyse.jpg
4u9agyny.jpg
epa5e8e3.jpg

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Love how you hid that AC unit! I want to go with bigger wheels and tires but not until after I tackle the front disk brake conversion, which is still in the future. Have to source a bunch of parts first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94