The Dawgvan: 64 Dodge A100 build

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Thought I would start a thread here on my camper conversion.

The Dawgvan is a 1964 Dodge A100 with a 170ci \6 and 3 on the tree. First year of Production, number 5510 of an estimated 200,000 unit Production run. It has an interesting history, the first four years being a Ma Bell van, and then being sold to the Palomar mountain Observatory in San Diego, where it was the painters van for 32 years, never leaving the mountain top compound. It 2000, the Engine and tranny were rebuilt for the first time, and then driven about 8000 miles before the the wiringharness mostly fried, and it got parked except for occasional garbage duty. I have a Binder it came with detailing all work and maintenance, with receipts, all the way back to 1969.

I worked at the Observatory for 2 years and managed to purchase the beast for $50.00. The reason it is called the Dawgvan is because, slowly, over the years, letters kept falling off the back until it said D o g. I came along and got my hands on it with just the G left, but I found the D in the trash in back.

I had earned my nick of Dawg long before as well, so it was Kismet.

The day I brought it home
64dodge-640x480.jpg

So I basically sat on it for 2 years, until i decided to tackle the fried harness. I found that OEM harnesses are unavailable for this beast, and I spent 6 months trying to find someone to do a custom wrap, but nobody wanted to touch it for less than 1K$. Too rich for my blood!
I found a Ron Francis, "Classic Mopar harness, and modified it to fit. Even though this is a simple machine, It was a royal pain to wire as my 64 manual wiring plan was not like the OEM harness, or like the RF harness. I also cut off every crimped connector, and soldered and shrink-wrapped with brass terminals as I don't ever want to do it again. All things considered, it took me a month to do the harness.

Bracket and hole were the main ignition ground, note the bare hot wires that were in contact there.
uqevu9es.jpg

Enough grease off I can see what I'm doing now.
anurutet.jpg

Other things I have done over the last few months include:
New shocks, Went through the brakes, which needed nothing but adjustment.
Rodded radiator
New water pump, Thermostat, Water temp sensor, water temp gauge.
New Fuel pump and all fuel lines.
New Old stock BBS carb.
Painted the Engine Dog house covers.
Replaced rear windows with venting windows.
Added Aux. 14" Cooling fan.
Added a second 14 circuit Fuse panel for "House wiring".

More on those in a bit.

Plans:
Since the last 6 months were dedicated to making it a runner, the next 6 months are dedicated to interior and exterior upgrades and cosmetics.

I am going to build in a "Rock and Roll" Style folding bed as my next project, line all the interior walls and roof with Reflectix and panel, add a storage cabinet on the passenger side back end, setup a 136AH SLA battery bank and charge controller for my 220 solar array that will be roof mounted, Build the roof rack and new crash bumpers with a hefty front brush guard, add a receiver hitch and start knocking out the dents. I am going to paint the whole van later, but this first phase is for rust protection. I also want to throw a Lock rite in the axle

The following projects are long term, but I am motivated. Add a Pop top, and convert to 4wd. I can see the pop top happening in a year or so, and the driven front axle in the 2 + year future. I'm a little hesitant, as It gets 22MPG now, and adding another axle and Diff, is going to cut that a lot.

Enjoy!

Pic from a month ago:
ydubydum.jpg

Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Finished the fan install. It was wired as a pusher already and does move a lot of air.

Panel wired, 12 gauge to an 80 amp breaker on the battery. Note the red tape for the live surfaces...
3yrudu5y.jpg

Switch wired up
yna3e4en.jpg

Soldered connectors
segybuby.jpg

Installed
4a8yne4u.jpg

aredegev.jpg

bdog1

Adventurer
Kool project! Do those have a straight front axle? I remember lusting after a camper conversion one many years back.

Sent from my iPhone w/Tapatalk

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Summer Projects:

Had my instrument cluster gauges fail together and that may be the gauge voltage regulator. I could buy one of course, but hard to find, and aftermarket units are $29.00, so I went to RadioShack and got a 10uF cap and a 7805 voltage regulator and that gives me the high quality 5 volts I need. Didn't have a heat sink, but the chunk of brass should do.

8y2u8e3e.jpg

tubyhupe.jpg

So I got the 5 volt circuit working and installed, but managed to break my one spare temp gauge during testing. Rather than screw around with it I went for a temporary sorta "Tesla Punk" fix with a new electric gauge and sensor and an old skool volt meter I had laying around. I used copper as I had it and figured why not? I plan on having the originals all rebuilt so the spot I hacked in the dash was going to be used for a stereo at some future point,

Voltage regulator
ytesavar.jpg

za9anu6y.jpg

ama9uvym.jpg

Some Dremel work
e4eve6ez.jpg

Test fit
ade9etyv.jpg

Installed
erysugyj.jpg

The only sign left of its Pacbell origins
be9e7a8y.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Going on to interior and cosmetics :)

Last Wednesday, after jury duty I did this to the right front door, to slow the rust before rainy season. Grind out rust, wet-sand, Ospho, sealing primer. Going to come back to it for final body work later, getting the metal sealed is the goal here.

junavyzu.jpg

u2u2abyd.jpg

3u2ene5a.jpg

qu3u8uhu.jpg

pa7urage.jpg

ypadu8u4.jpg

8e7e4ude.jpg

Btw, the sand colored paint comes off very easy.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Lots of roof grinding over the last week. Got all the heavy rust ground out and treated with Ospho. There is no perforation anywhere, even the drip rails are clean of anything but surface rust. There is quite a bit of solid paint I left. I ended up grinding it out later.

My Minion...
tyby5aga.jpg

u4uve7am.jpg

abu5anep.jpg

y5une4eq.jpg

2ybumura.jpg

Everything got wet sanded and hit with a scotch brite before the Ospho. I'll let it set until the weekend and then rinse and on with the rust inhibiting primer.

The phosphatizing after four hours. Coming along well!
avuzegy6.jpg

a6y9umu8.jpg

Finished completely stripping the roof today. This last pic is one last Ospho treatment, which will require one last sanding I think, and then zinc primer tomorrow.

So that's a total of four of those 3M disks, one scotch Brite, 2 quarts Ospho, 6 sheets of 220 grit wet n dry paper.

muhyqumy.jpg

4yvydare.jpg

Here's a before pic:
ubeveqab.jpg

Final shots post 3rd and final acid wash and wet sand. Yes it has a flash rust of blush, but it looks much worse in the pic than it does up close.

Tomorrow we paint.
gasuta8e.jpg

ybugyma7.jpg

And Finally, Last Saturday morning, first coat:

vyqebyqu.jpg

ydy9upez.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
14 year old. Man-child. He just started his first metal shop class so is pumped. The local high school has a metals fabrication program that will give you a welder Cert with the Diploma and he decided to go that route for electives. I'm happy about that as maybe that will help with a decent paying gig while in college?

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

mgmetalworks

Explorer
My Minion...
tyby5aga.jpg

I can't tell because of all the hair but...

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses."

norm_abram.jpg
I don't do a single thing involving power tools without safety glasses. I nearly lost my good eye as a young, "it will never happen to me" kind of kid. Since that day I've avoided many incidents because I was wearing safety glasses... Just sayin'.
On another note, I put myself through engineering school working in a street rod shop. I highly recommend getting a lot of hands on experience while going to school. It definitely leads to an advantage over others post-graduation.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Yeah, safety third!

He was posing... The young ladies apparently love an action shot. His goggles were in his pocket.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

tommudd

Explorer
Nice one, I had a 65 back a few years ago that I let someone with a huge stack of 100s talk me out of . Still kick myself for that one. It had been a delivery truck for a small Mom and Pop grocery store since new. Around 53,000 when I bought it
Glad to see you doing this one the right way
Good luck and I'll be following along

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior