1x9 tech question....

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I switched my CX bike to 1x9 on a flat bar, but I am still using my 105 groupo 10 speed compact crank and the inner ring. I am having an issue with cross chaining and the chain catching a tooth on the big ring and pulling up, over and off.

Do I need shorter chain ring bolts to remove the big ring and just run the small one?
Is it better to replace the big with a bash guard, if so, what size? the tooth number of the ring it replaces (ie big ring) or the one it covers (small ring)? I think it is 110 bolt pattern/whatever...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
In the past when I have run a 1x setup I always removed the chainring I wasn't using and replaced with shorter chainring bolts...but that was a long time ago...

G jeep

You need to replace your chainring with a single speed specific one using single stack bolts. Simple and elegant

4x4mike

Adventurer
If improving your chainline means moving the ring in, do it. Running one chainring requires some care to keep it on. Most run a chain keeper, not catcher, and or a bash guard to keep the chain on and in place.

4x4mike

Adventurer
Another thing I've done in the past that helped was running a short cage rear derailleur. If you don't already have one it might help.

p nut

butter
Just for clarification for archive purposes, but 105 cranks are 130bcd. You could get a bash, but not sure they're needed on a cross bike that will probably not see much chunky trail time and given the fact that cross bikes usually have high BB clearance already.

I've heard good things about Wolf, when paired with clutch type derailleur. Personally, I would run a Paul or MRP chainguide. Also, you could move a BB spacer over to the drive side to get the inner chainring more to an ideal chainline if needed. Or if you can get a triple crank, using the middle ring position would put you at a good chainline.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks for coming back and archiving great info! Just finished 12th week of racing, and only 2 more months to go ; ) I kept dropping my chain, so I put the FD back on. Glad I did, last two weeks, I have had to go big ring and have had my best finishes... I still like the idea of 1x_

p nut

butter
105's come in both flavors FWIW. I've got a buddy running a Wolf ring with an ancient Campagnolo 9 speed drivetrain, he's pretty happy so far. As far as bashguards it's pretty hard to beat http://bbgbashguard.com/ , size it to the ring it's covering.

Thanks for the correction, E.J. Never knew 105's came in 110bcd. Gives me some ideas on my MTB set up, as I like 5-bolt chainrings and the weight/stiffness of HT II design as well. Just need to make sure the BB is 68mm and CS clearance is ok.

And I agree with BBG bash. I run them on all of my MTB's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94