Pulled the trigger and joined the fridge/freezer club

madmax718

Explorer
Found a great deal on a dometic cf-18! Too bad its becoming winter here.

I fully blame all of you. :ylsmoke: I was all good with MRE's and dehydrated foods.... until you'all said you can have ice cream 2 days later.

According to the spec, they say the unit draws on average 35 watts. What does that mean anyhow? Is that peak? or average when running?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Found a great deal on a dometic cf-18! Too bad its becoming winter here.

I fully blame all of you. :ylsmoke: I was all good with MRE's and dehydrated foods.... until you'all said you can have ice cream 2 days later.

According to the spec, they say the unit draws on average 35 watts. What does that mean anyhow? Is that peak? or average when running?

Typically the rating is for full draw when powering on, but running amps is usually much lower. So 34 divided by 12 gives you just under 3 amps, which is not much.

madmax718

Explorer
I had a more or less specific size requirement- if you don't have one you may have more options, but since I sleep in my jeep, I needed a specific size that can be tucked between the two front seats and sit on the arm rest. (12" max base).

I really wanted a danfoss compressor, after reading every thread on fridges here, in terms of power use and durability. I missed a good deal because I was wavering, for a dometic coolfreeze 25 (27 cans?) for 324 + 30ish for shipping off ebay, brand new, and they had 4. It appears that some RV places have been liquidating their freezers in stock, because nobody wants them much in the winter time.

I missed a local Craigslist by a few days for a coolfreeze 18 for 220. That sucked.

The cheapest coolfreeze 18 was from adventure rv. They want 324 + shipping (and tax if your in fl or something).

The deal on ebay I found was for a "used 3 times" coolfreeze 18, with the insulating and protective cover, shipped, for 289.

I estimate it to be about 100 off the cheapest I could find anywhere (when factoring in the cover, and shipping).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94