2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

mccustomize

Explorer
Since you are going full custom for this endeavour, you might want to consider the OUO ALAs. The give the ability to fine tune fore and aft position, as well as adjust caster angle.

519_OUO_ALA_.jpg

I've got them on my new truck. Additionally to the geometry setup, they allow for freer articulation because of the high misalignment angle rod end used.

I am cutting everything off the super duty axle, my current 3 link will replace the radius arm design. Radius arms have an inherent bind in the system that does help reduce roll in go-fast and street scenarios but my 3 link with a properly tuned anti-rock will outperform the radius arms on the trail. The 3 link is the clear choice for what I want to accomplish.
IMG_5127_1.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have always ben impressed:drool: with what your truck can do Mr Custom. I am sure the rig will be wicked after the install. I cant wait to see the pics of your new build. Cheers, Chilli...:)

mccustomize

Explorer
Well with some help from a buddy we got some very important stuff done while I was on vacation, frame is cut short and new front hangers are located. The final verdict is 13 inches shorter wheelbase from stock. I will be pushing the front axle forward 4 inches so overall it's 9 inches shorter. The rear will have less overhang as well. On to the good stuff...

IMG_5632_1.jpg

IMG_5633_1.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
IMG_5665_1.jpg

Going to have to move the hanger back some just didn't have time to grind down the factory crossmember, but I might have to back half it anyway due to some frame dimensions over the rear axle and the larger, flipped U bolt plates.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks awesome Mr Customize! Good looking fab work. That truck will be a beast in the bush with those new dimensions. I cant wait to see the progresion. Keep posting them pics as there are lots of us following. Cheers, Chilli...:)

mccustomize

Explorer
so if I understand correctly....this will be and extended cab with 5'8" crewcab bed? GM produced a few of those in 2005/06

Not exactly, it is 13 inches shorter now than it came from the factory, and the rear will be bobbed as well. so more than likely about 20 inches shorter overall length.

mccustomize

Explorer
IMG_5928_1.jpg

IMG_5924_1.jpg

IMG_5923_1.jpg

Got the rear hangers tacked on, added some plates on the frame to strengthen that are up a little and provide a thicker place to mount a bumper, also got my rear shocks in, F-O-A 14" travel 2.5 smooth bodies.

mccustomize

Explorer
Does your freinds Mickie have a build on any forum of his dmax?

He sure doesn't however it's pretty simple, WFO kit, stock T case, stock front driveshaft even, small lift blocks in the rear and airbags.

I will have some progress to report this weekend, cleared out some side projects to get mine back in the garage.

Picked up a K5 Blazer 31 gallon fuel tank that I will mount in the rear of the frame. Also got my gears/install kits in as well.

mccustomize

Explorer
A little bit of news to report, AE finally sent the missing hardware for my wheels so I can mount the other two. I started taking apart the existing suspension to pull the axles and drivetrain as well.

Lots and lots and lots of grinding dust!
IMG_6651_1.jpg

Starting to look like it's ready for proper links.
IMG_6669_1.jpg

I also had some logos made up for a youtube channel/stickers/avatar/whatever, what do you guys think?
IMG_6609_1.jpg

IMG_6610_1.jpg

IMG_6611_1.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
Got the super duty axle completely rid of the brackets finally, quite a daunting task. Ready to start hanging it under the new frame and setting up some good link numbers this week!

IMG_6775_1.jpg

IMG_6772_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12