2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looking good there Mr Customize. Incredible how much Fruad garbage you have to remove to make an otherwise great Dana axel work. Cheers, Chilli...:)

jbain

This is a very cool build and from what I can tell very close to what I'm building. I'm building a 70 K10 sitting on a 2002 2wd frame with a 2003 6.0 4l80e. I'm going with a double triangulated 4 link front and relocated 63 inch spring in the rear. Hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions, here's my junk.

17626658_388341268214250_725563447643953335_n.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
This is a very cool build and from what I can tell very close to what I'm building. I'm building a 70 K10 sitting on a 2002 2wd frame with a 2003 6.0 4l80e. I'm going with a double triangulated 4 link front and relocated 63 inch spring in the rear. Hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions, here's my junk.

Not at all, in the end I'm hoping to have a go anywhere, do anything capable rig, especially with my camping trailer behind it. I would have loved to start with a bit earlier sheetmetal, but I already had the truck, the 67-72s are some of my favorites!

jbain

Right on, I really appreciate it. Wow, so where to start....

1. It appears that your using a 2wd frame and since I see no sleeves for a steering box that this truck also had rack and pinion? I read you plan to move your axle 4 inches forward and it appears you planning on Hydro assist from the pics, how do you plan to handle the steering box? I'm considering a mid 80's forward swing Ford F150 box to allow room for the stretch.

2. Any chance you know your current frame and axle side hole to hole numbers for your link mounts? I'm hoping to achieve at a minimum of 6 at the frame and 9 at the axle.

3. I'm looking forward to the coilover setup, I'll be interested in how much lift you plan to run and what spring rates you end up on.

I'm sure I'll have a thousand other questions and I appreciate you taking the time to answer these.

Jerry

mccustomize

Explorer
Right on, I really appreciate it. Wow, so where to start....

1. It appears that your using a 2wd frame and since I see no sleeves for a steering box that this truck also had rack and pinion? I read you plan to move your axle 4 inches forward and it appears you planning on Hydro assist from the pics, how do you plan to handle the steering box? I'm considering a mid 80's forward swing Ford F150 box to allow room for the stretch. Basically I'm going to move the steering box forward 1" and plate the inside of the frame. I was fine with the stock box with the axle moved forward 3 inches so moving the box 1" should be fine.

2. Any chance you know your current frame and axle side hole to hole numbers for your link mounts? I'm hoping to achieve at a minimum of 6 at the frame and 9 at the axle.I don't remember them offhand but I can measure one evening for you.

3. I'm looking forward to the coilover setup, I'll be interested in how much lift you plan to run and what spring rates you end up on.I'm shooting for the same lift height I have now, 5 inches +1 inch bodylift. which on 40s should be a really ecent compromise between belly height and low CG. I cannot remember what springs rates I ended up with but I'm sure I will end up changing them at least once to get where I want to be. I used FOAs app on my phone to calculate the rates.

I'm sure I'll have a thousand other questions and I appreciate you taking the time to answer these.

Jerry

Not a problem Jerry, these questions are what keep us moving along on our builds!

jbain

Thanks for the information, any input going in will save me tons of time. I noticed you have the same frame side engine mounts as I do. They hang about an inch or so below the frame rails. To keep them from interfering with my upper I was planning to run my upper on the outside of the frame rails. I also considered cutting them higher, is your current setup outside the rails? From the pics it looks like your lower is mounted on your crossmember.

mccustomize

Explorer
Thanks for the information, any input going in will save me tons of time. I noticed you have the same frame side engine mounts as I do. They hang about an inch or so below the frame rails. To keep them from interfering with my upper I was planning to run my upper on the outside of the frame rails. I also considered cutting them higher, is your current setup outside the rails? From the pics it looks like your lower is mounted on your crossmember.

Everything is inside the frame rails, it's tight, but it works. the frame has a pretty significant kick up in the front so it won't get into the motor mount like you think.

mccustomize

Explorer
New deadline on finishing the truck, some of the things I wanted to get done will have to be moved to the future, but this new timeline takes precedence! Anybody got any ideas?????

IMG_7003_1.jpg

Parashooter

Dammit, there's no more to read. Lol. I read the whole thread tonight. You have an awesome rig and skills. I'm slowly fixing up my 09 duramax 4x4 to make it better offroad, trying to get my kids outdoors more. Can't wait to see any updates. Cheers

mccustomize

Explorer
Well plans have shifted a little since I made the dirty dozen. I am going to use the frame that is already under the truck, with some modifications of course. So sunday night I started with the rear and got it in place and the frame shortened.
IMG_7018_1.jpg

Ordered drop in 1550 series axle shafts for the front axle, all 35 spline, these things are beef.
IMG_7020_1.jpg

IMG_7019_1.jpg

So far I blew through about $4200 since sunday ordering parts, tools and materials...

Tube bender
Tube notcher
14" cold saw
2011+ F250 rear axle with E-locker
Spartan front locker
2"x.25" wall DOM
1.75 .120 wall HREW
1.5 .120 wall HREW
Artec coilover towers
Artec upper link mount
Barnes offset heim joints
Coilover tabs
Rear shock tabs
Matching spare wheel

Now on to a lot of work, and some stressful waiting to hear if I made the final cut!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to seeing you put 4K worth of parts into your rig McCustom. I think you are going to have a lot of fun. Cheers, chilli..:)

mccustomize

Explorer
IMG_7071_1.jpg

Made some good progress, got the leaf mount all burned in and axle is located 11.5 inches forward of the factory position.
IMG_7158_1.jpg

A true to size 40" tire does fit inside Bushwacker cut out flares as well :) That's good to know. The rear is sitting about a 1/2" from full bump in this picture, the flare is lined up with the bodyline so without massive reconstruction on the body this will be full bump.
IMG_7157_1.jpg

Also got my rock sliders started, I will finish them up this week. I re-did the kick out tubes from this picture to stick out another 2 inches.
BGAJ2343_1.jpg

New fuel tank is in, more capacity and more ground clearance. I will be adding a cage to the bottom to protect it as well.
IMG_7060_1.jpg

Made some customs leafs from a mixture of the stock 1/2 ton pack, and a light duty 3/4 ton pack, with no overloads but a small, short spring to help prevent the bending in the main leaf associated with extreme inverted chevy 63" springs.
IMG_7072_1.jpg

Cleaned the frame off in prep for the roll bar/tube bed
IMG_7079_1.jpg

We have rain the forecast for several days so I made room to work on it in the garage, somewhat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior