2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

mccustomize

Explorer
Here's a few photos of my swap so far, I still have a lot to go with the truck as a whole but I am on the down hill slope.

Picture 001.jpg
Chevy unit bearing hubs bolt directly to Dodge Dana 44 knuckles and stub shafts. With GMT 400 brake rotors you retain your ABS and retain the six lug pattern. I am by no means building a "rock crawler" simply a tougher backwoods rig and mild trail truck. So I stuck to 1/2 ton axles.

Picture 002.jpg
Frame stripped of everything GM. Ready for some custom brackets.

Picture 003.jpg
Axle located at full compression, clears everything, centered, and moved 2.5 inches forward of factory centerline.

Picture 004.jpg
there is a hump in the factory frame on the passenger side that was almost perfectly centered to clear the drag link at full compression.

Picture 005.jpg
since I was keeping it around 4-6 inches of lift I punched the stock ball joint out of the pitman arm and welded a sleeve inside it to run a rod end.

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg
Everything mocked up at droop, ready for final welding.

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg
Engine hoop has to be three pieces to snake it in tight.

Picture 016.jpg
Measuring for limit straps and clearances. Works like a dream and drives excellent.

I still need to re-gear my front diff 4.56 to match the rear. I also need to tune it to correct the tire and gear ratios and change a few parameters. the rear will be getting a deaver mini pak and air bumps as well to compliment the front. I am going to bring the front down about 3/4" and remove the body lift as well once I swap to hydroboost brakes to clear the shock towers. I have an ENGO 10k winch with synthetic line that will be mounted up front, 2 thomas compressors and 3 gallon tank for onboard air, fullsize spare and of course tools and storage to still finish.

The bushwacker flares are cracking and falling apart so I bought Fiberwerx glass front fenders and will be ordering the bedsides to match. Last piece of the puzzle will be new seat covers and headliner along with a little more audio and new aluminum wheels to replace the steel wheels.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
SWEET!!! I'd be curious to see some pics on level ground, looks great thus far! Nice work!!!
That's cool as heck that you discovered that the Chevy unit bearings bolt right up so you can keep your ABS and all! (and save some coin too!)

mccustomize

Explorer
future mods, that's a long list haha

selectable lockers front and rear
20" LED bar and 3" pods for the front bumper
3" pods in the rear bumper
new bumpers
remove body lift
extend rock sliders wheel to wheel
deaver mini pak
air bumps rear
new shackle hangers
re-do the seats
new headliner
bigger stereo
dual batteries
bigger radiator and fans from the 06+ trucks
fiberglass fenders and bedsides
front sway bar with quick disconnect
onboard air
storage drawer under toolbox
mild cam
aluminum wheels

mccustomize

Explorer
Most recent pictures I have, Just put my shorty headers on, awaiting a tune from Easy Performance. A good friend is coming down in a few weeks to help me do some wrenching on it and getting it closer to wheeling!

IMG_1777.JPGIMG_1775.JPGIMG_1776.JPG

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
This indeed is some well executed SAS. I think you are full of poopie though stating it's not for "rock crawling" followed by a super flex pic with the forklift. :elkgrin:

Why do you want to remove the body lift?

Looking forward to your continued progress.

I'll have my front D44 available for sale soon. Comes with extra flange reinforcement on the housing and 4.10 gear ratio b/c the offroad edition 2nd Gen Rams had these nuances.

IMG_20130514_135454_705_zpsdf5e9a63.jpg

cowboy63645

Adventurer
Truck looks great! I am planning on a SAS on my 07' classic CCSB soon. How much lift did you end up with overall? Anything you would do different at this point? Although I would like to keep my lift around the 5" mark, I know it will be a pain to deal with the clearance issues.

mccustomize

Explorer
Truck looks great! I am planning on a SAS on my 07' classic CCSB soon. How much lift did you end up with overall? Anything you would do different at this point? Although I would like to keep my lift around the 5" mark, I know it will be a pain to deal with the clearance issues.

I ended up right around 6" of lift and 5-6 inches of uptravel depending on where I set my bump stops and 8-9 of droop travel. You can easily end up at 5 inches of lift and have the clearance you need. I would have taken the cab off to gain access to the upper 3 link mount honestly, but I just didn't have the room to do that. I would have also went with coil overs, so much easier to setup and package. I would have also trussed both axles, which I will be going back and doing when I inboard the rear shocks.

I did end up buying these this weekend!

classic_lock.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Really nice looking sas there McCustom. Well fabricated work and the trucks looks mean! Ow, did I say welcome to the site!:)

cyclic

Adventurer
I drive by the "shop" in cove and see your truck all the time. Absolutely love it. I've had serious thoughts of doing my GMT400 99 Tahoe this way for awhile. You did a great job. I ended up deciding to build a 88 Burb instead, so the Tahoe will remain a DD until its ready.

What are you going to do with the old rims? What size are they?

mccustomize

Explorer
I drive by the "shop" in cove and see your truck all the time. Absolutely love it. I've had serious thoughts of doing my GMT400 99 Tahoe this way for awhile. You did a great job. I ended up deciding to build a 88 Burb instead, so the Tahoe will remain a DD until its ready.

What are you going to do with the old rims? What size are they?

Sell them I guess, 17" Pacer D-window, 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Thank guys! Like I said still a lot more to go but I will have weekly updates on the progress to finishing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles