2003 TTR250, Big lights, thought I would be under current output but....

SixLug

Explorer
Quick rundown. (I am NOT an electronic guru, keep this in mind)
2003 TTR250. Mag output is 14V, 13.5 amps @ 5000 RPM. = 189 Watts. (Baja Designs website says 150W for the TTR) Granted thats wringing the engines neck a bit, but anway...
Comes stock with a 35W / 36.5W headlight and a 5W/12W tail light (or something close). Thats it as far as electronics sapping the charging system on these things.
I upgraded the electronics as follows:
Garmin Nuvi GPS as a Speedo / Odo / Nav aid...maybe a few watts??
Dual PIAA 6" 55W Driving lights as head lights
Thats it. Wired the lights with a relay....Stock switch activates relay, 12AWG running from the battery + to the relay, from relay to lights, and from lights to battery -.
55W x 2 = 110 plus the small draws from the tail and GPS. I figured I'd be under my limit, especially riding down the road.
Rode it for the first time today post dual light upgrade. Rode about 2 miles to a gas station to fill up, turned bike / lights off, filled up and the bike hesitated to turn over for a split second then fired off. But it was warm so that helped.
Got me a bit worried so MM'd it when I got home.
12.1 ish volts DC at battery with bike off.
12.7-13 ish volts DC at battery with bike running, lights off.
11.4 ish volts DC at battery wth bike running, lights switched on...and I believe it was slowly going down. This was a quicker test, but I will be a bit more thorough and documentary tomorrow.
Am I miscalculating Wattage draw?
Is it possible to wire directly to the R/R output for the headlights? And if so would there be an advantage or disadvantage to this?
I have read some stuff on R/R upgrades and that helping people with voltage drops when accessories run. After some searching here and elsewhere (there is a good thread on ADVrider on a BMW GS model killing stators) it seems a R/R upgrade would just be more efficient at regulating voltage produced by the stator (i.e., keeping cooler really), but not necessarily helping with actual output? (Although more efficiency would seem to allow a little better output...but I could be way wrong here.)
Bottom line, do the stator and R/R just need to be upgraded?
I just really didnt think I was going to place an unacceptable load on the charging system since I'm not running a plethora of electronic equipment, but I seem to be mistaken...If I am WAY off base in some of my logic please let me know.
If I have forgotten a vital piece of needed info, let me know that too....Thanks.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I'm not sure your problem is necessarily the wattage draw. Given that you're only getting 12.7-13v with the bike running, it seems like you might be having pre-existing issues. Sure, 12.7-13V is technically charging the battery, but that seems too low of an output for a healthy system. I think I would try to figure out why you aren't getting 14+V, unless that is something typical to the TTR.

By the way - I saw your thread on ADV and saw a TTR on c-list today for $1500. But I don't think they're very easy to plate here.

SixLug

Explorer
Well, that test was right after I had the hard start at the station. The battery may not have been fully charged, but charging...I will put it on a tender today then start it up and test out running voltage. I have had 0 issues with the charging system up to this point though.

I was fortunate to find mine titled. Have a link to the CL ad? I believe I have heard VA is a pain to deal with when it comes to vehicles though, so you are probably right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles