WarnerD9 's 2011 4Runner TE build thread

WarnerD9

Builder
@Warnerd9 's 2011 4Runner Build Thread

This is a compilation of threads that I have on t4r.org. This is the consolidated version, enjoy.

I owe many others from the forum credit as I have drawn from them heavily. I am late in putting this together but hopefully someone else can get something out of it. My goal in building this rig was to create an Overland oriented/rock crawling capable rig to take the whole family wherever I felt like going while also serving as my daily driver. I also wanted to build it to where everything serves a purpose, is fully functional, and doesn't come across as a McGuyver stunt.

I'll go through and go over the basics. If you have questions on anything let me know and I'll try to provide great answers or helpful info.

I had and sold this....

3udute9a.jpg

http://youtu.be/wkEKZSH5aY8
http://youtu.be/lqwZa8ueaaE
ugupe7e9.jpg

ra5y4uvy.jpg

u2y6uhut.jpg

ebamu3yd.jpg

First broken Birfield join to replace on a wheeling trip
agutyjep.jpg

8u4e6eta.jpg

First taste of expedition style travel and appreciation of a spacious enclosed vehicle.

jyne5yvu.jpg

Then the T4R started like this...

u9e2unap.jpg

ere2u8y7.jpg

7e6yga8y.jpg

jary5a3y.jpg

Then it started turning into this...

vanyqu3y.jpg

e6e5e9eb.jpg

Front End

u5adu7ur.jpg

- Shrockworks front bumper with custom recovery points http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CM-Hoist-Ring-4R986?Pid=search 5k rating available but I have put these to the test and am totally comfortable with them.
- Rigid 10" E-series and dualies with amber covers
- LED replacement turn signals http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...h-brightness-25in-round-led-marker-lamp/1085/ I can't recall who mentioned this site but credit is due on this one, thank you whoever you are. The Shrockworks ones only lasted a few months.
- Warn 9.5XP with wireless remote and interior switch (more later)
- Custom mounted CB antenna
- Gobi Stealth roof rack
- Rigid 20" and (2) 6" E-Series bars on the rack
- Dent in the IFS skid plate was courtesy of a large boulder I slid into in Moab in the snow.
- Rigid A-Series mounted to mirrors

Driver's Side

u9u3yme2.jpg

- Gobi Hi-Lift mounts
- Rigid Dualies mounted in the "o" of the Gobi inscription for the rack mounts.
5aje3adu.jpg

ugajybaq.jpg

te8uqa9a.jpg

udumevys.jpg

- Rigid A-Series on lower quarter panels powered in conjunction with mirror lights

Rear End

6aty6yta.jpg

- Rear bumper built and designed with a couple FJC friends, same recovery points as front bumper, made mostly out of 3/8" angle and 3/8" sheet. May be for sale mid August. CBI is going to build me a rear bumper/spare tire carrier.
- Gobi Ladder
- Modified exhaust with Magnaflow high performance muffler and custom pipe to exit.
- Aux fuel tank to be installed with new rear bumper b CBI

Passenger Side

dage3u4a.jpg

- ARB Awning - I wanted a tight mount that wouldn't add to height or width. I picked up some Allen bolts from a local hardware store. Things lined up pretty well on their own. I measured man, many times and made it happen. So far the rack shows no negative signs and it seems to be a solid mount. However the bolts aren't looking too good and need to be treated. I did take measures to make sure that the rack wouldn't rust, but I should have done the same with the bolts. I would recommend this set up if you're considering it. Just prep for rust and be very precise in drilling your holes.
deqetedu.jpg

a5u6eteb.jpg

- (minor) Rock Rash (lower front passenger door) - I'm looking for a more competent spotter... I had a set of sliders on but it wasn't enough.

WarnerD9

Builder
Tires/Wheels

- BFG KM2 285/75/17 - pros - sticky, great looking, ware evenly. Cons - loud, ware quickly, $$$$$$. I did slice a sidewall, did some McGuyver repair and made it home from the last 3/4 of Hole In The Rock Trail. Quickly remembered why I bought tire warranties.
yvyru3u7.jpg

- SCS Stealth 6 in gunmetal matte
epa6u4es.jpg

Suspension

I have gone through several set ups trying to dial in clearance, travel, and ride quality. First I went with Old Man Emu because I had 95,000 miles of bliss using a similar set up on my FJC. I tried the medium heavy and the heavy but wasn't satisfied. I liked the medium heavy but it didn't offer enough lift/clearance/travel. The HD wasn't really a suspension, it was more like rigid stilts. I've evolved to Total Chaos upper control arms with Icon extended travel set up in the front and the Metal Tech Long Travel kit in the rear with resivor shocks and I love it. I had the non resivor shocks and they were great except when the rig was loaded or if you were pushing through rough terrain. The AllPro control arms work but are barely short enough for what I need. I plan on updating to the HD MetalTech Long Travel Coils and a true long travel set up like the Orange MetalTech 4Runner but I need to figure out what to do with the KDSS first. There is also a Toytec rear panhard rod.

banyduhu.jpg

ze8yvany.jpg

u4aqe8un.jpg

Don't mind the crushed trailer wiring hook up, it will be replaced soon...

Interior/switches

upy8yzyd.jpg

- I'm running an IBS battery monitoring system
- I've shifted around some factory switches to run my Rigids (fog lamps) and my side roof, mirror and rear quarter panel lights.
- I am also running a scan gauge to monitor fuel usage, power usage, etc. not bad for $60

e6eqehu9.jpg

aturu5av.jpg

Bottom up
- 20" and (2) 6" Rigid switches replace dummy switches that should keep the seats warm
- Icon billet shifter knobs
- RAM mount for iPad Mini to serve as GPS thanks to GAIA GPS and a DUAL GPS Locator
- (OTRATTW switches) Top row has ARB twin air compressor, as well as front and rear locker. (In order to get the locker to run in 2WD, high and low range, I activate the factory, ARB, and an additional switch on the lower panel. Kind of a pain but nice to able to run the lockers in any drive mode. Great for sand, and immature driving/sliding)
- Bottom row starts with an activation switch for the next one, the winch in and out, requires SLEE regulator from FJ80
- Fuel pump switch powers some wire that I have ran for the amazing aux fuel/transfer tank that will one day be installed.
- ARB fridge freezer switch allows me to turn the fridge on and off without touching the fridge.
- The next switch is the third switch to enable the rear locker
- The set up had six slots, I only needed five. I'll figure something out some day. I'm putti together a solar panel set up for the roof and this may come into play if I ever get around to finishing it.

esahysy4.jpg

- ARB fridge freezer
- 10lb power tank

Under the Hood/Electrical

a2egy4ap.jpg

- ARB twin air compressor with braided stainless lines
- TRD cold air intake
- 2nd Battery, Optima Blue Top, runs everything but winch and 4Runner

a3amyzuj.jpg

- Relays, Relays, relays... A simple piece of strap metal, a few bends and holes drilled and wallah...
- BUS port (blue ocean?) can't remember, got it from sierraexpeditions
- Warn wireless winch remote computer/receiver/relay. Currently creating a draw on the battery, needs to be resolved when I find some time when I can't think of something I'd rather do...

Here are some pics testing out the MetalTech long travel rear suspension.

re4ara6a.jpg

tenu4a8e.jpg

usydegyb.jpg

u2eseqe8.jpg

yvehudad.jpg

The massive aluminum bump stops give away that its a MetalTech setup. Love it and would recommend it to anyone...

Thought I'd throw some of my pics I've posted in other threads on this one. Enjoy and sorry if you've already seen them.

I ended up slicing my sidewall going through this. Pictures don't do justice on this one. If you had sliders on it wouldn't be a big deal.
y6y2ugym.jpg

8y4upeda.jpg

You can see that the passenger rear is stuffed in is one.
ujyrageq.jpg

9udyvy4a.jpg

yjynupen.jpg

A little RTV sealant and she made it home, over 500 miles away at freeway speeds.
betere2y.jpg

A couple of neat overlooks from Hole in the Rock Trail
za9u7apy.jpg

jy7uredy.jpg

a4yjyru6.jpg

WarnerD9

Builder
Burr trail
hy9ygege.jpg

And... More pics...

4th of July celebration!
uty4unuq.jpg

agyjyte4.jpg

8u4uhyha.jpg

pade5e8u.jpg

eha4u9e2.jpg

ysybygen.jpg

eqegubud.jpg

usytenes.jpg

6atyvaqy.jpg

ega3y3uh.jpg

Collected some fire wood take to the cabin for the season
abedy7em.jpg

Testing out the Front ARB locker in the Maze section of Sand Hollow, UT
2011 4Runner near Sand Hollow - YouTube

Teaser pic from CBI for the rear bumper. The notch in the corner will house some Rigid dualies.

uny2yvy6.jpg

And build pics for the rear bumper and aux fuel tank.

Here are some more progress pics on the rear bumper. They were wrapping up the swing arm, but it will hold the spare, two rotopax and some mattrax. Should have everything wrapped up in the next two weeks and I will post pics then. Here ya go...

yne2a2a7.jpg

y8edemep.jpg

9abepygu.jpg

4u3aju2y.jpg

a3u6yryh.jpg

jysemepu.jpg

Fuel tank baffle
ujyjupez.jpg

Fuel tank
nu4ahy3a.jpg

Fuel tank mount
erazegyb.jpg

Swing arm disassembled
sugaqesu.jpg

WarnerD9

Builder
Went to Cruiserfest the day after I got it back and tested it out.

ypajunaz.jpg

umu2ajar.jpg

bu5u8a4y.jpg

u2ubygev.jpg

qebehe9u.jpg

jyne8y4y.jpg

y2yvypej.jpg

avanuhyz.jpg

hety2e8e.jpg

3ynu4u5y.jpg

qe5ybyva.jpg

ybahemes.jpg

jadapyte.jpg

4u9y8yna.jpg

urajever.jpg

jyzutapy.jpg

zu5enu5e.jpg

uty3a7y2.jpg

u7yjyhug.jpg

uru3a6ar.jpg

e8y2eby7.jpg

dy8ynaze.jpg

peqa9aty.jpg

sabada8u.jpg

Check out CBI Offroad Fab online at www.cbioffroadfab.com. I'd highly recommend them. They built my project just the way I wanted it, communication was awesome, and it was worth every penny.

Things to come:
- Snorkel
- Currie rock jock 60 with 4:56's and ARB locker in the rear and ring and pinion up front
- Inchworm lefty with tummy tuck
- Total Chaos/Icon dual shock set up.
- Solar panels
- Drawer system?

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
Wow! Crazy build! I'm amazed at how much custom work is going in there. Definitely the nicest 5th gen I've seen.

WarnerD9

Builder
I broke it in for you and I'm taking offers. It needs sanding and paint but she's burly yet petite. Where are you located?

WarnerD9

Builder
A few more random shots
yqa5uja7.jpg

Didn't know I was competing or who I was competing against but they gave me this nice award. Thanks Cruiserfest and whoever decided that I won!
jumema2e.jpg

6umysaqu.jpg

4aze6yte.jpg

Last edited:

haddix

Adventurer
This rig is so sick. As already said nicest 5th gen I've ever seen. Makes me want a trail 4runner even more now. Keep up the awesome work, I'll be following this thread closely.

WarnerD9

Builder
Great to see you on here in addition to T4R! I love your build and seriously am jealous of that rear bumper!

My blog: www.4funr.com

Nice blog. I started laughing because I just asked Mark at MetalTech to quote me on a nearly identical front susp set up with the dual shocks and new icons. I was pretty sure I was going to do it but based on your reviews I guess I'm just waiting for the bid to come back.

Hit me up next time you head towards UT!

Last edited:

joneseyyy

Explorer
Nice blog. I started laughing because I just asked Mark at MetalTech to quote me on a nearly impudent octal front susp set up with the dual shocks and new icons. I was pretty sure I was going to do it but based on your reviews I guess I'm just waiting for the bid to come back.

Hit me up next time you head towards UT!

It is a really nice setup...really a huge step up over the standard coilover setup. You won't regret it.

My blog: www.4funr.com

chmura

Adventurer
Sweet rig! I saw the pics of your rear bumper from cbi that posted your bumper build on the 4runner.org forums. I was windering who's 4runner thst was and now I know!

Do you have KDSS? That is some serious flex, not sure if KDSS would allow that! Please let us know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles