1953 M101A1 RESURRECTION

FandL

JK ADDICTION
TAILGATE PINS ARRIVED

I picked them up from a military supply company.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 92

FandL

JK ADDICTION
DECONSTRUCTION TIME

The tub is now off the frame and for a 60 year old trailer that sat exposed to the elements for over 50 years, the rusted nuts and bolts came apart without any issues! I'll finish stripping all the brake components and original electric lines next. Then I'll order the new dexter axel, making sure the wheel adapters will compensate to allow the AEV Pintler Wheels (hub centric) to properly fit the hub and track my JKU perfectly ( same tire width).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 100
nice score ..suggestion if you are going to use it off road maybe add a winch at the back..what are the measurements of the box and over all lenght

SwampfoxSC

Observer
FandL how did this pull behind the JK? I just got 13 JKUR Rubicon. And am looking at a few trailers. There is a guy local that one of these in great shape with new tires. And he only wants $350 for it. It seems like a steal. But they are kinda big for a trail rig. So I am leaning to a M416 type. But I really do like the versatility of these. With the dump feature and brakes.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
SwampfoxSC,

The M101 tracks awesome behind my JKU! I also looked at the M416 and found it to be way to small for my needs. The suspension on the M101 has much higher clearance than the M416 and the M101 can literally roll through or over anything a Jeep can. It sounds like the M101 you are looking at is much newer than mine and is in much better shape. I would jump on it for that price!

Good luck!

Send me a pic if you decide to get it...

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
FandL nice tear down pictures.
That trailer looks food for sitting in the woods for so many years without cover.
Are you keeping the original lunette?

$350.00 is a great deal " even better for a M101A2 or A3.
Many have reduced the tub and frame size to make them smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_5946.JPG
    IMG_5946.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5947.JPG
    IMG_5947.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 106

FandL

JK ADDICTION
nice score ..suggestion if you are going to use it off road maybe add a winch at the back..what are the measurements of the box and over all lenght

Thanks....

The tub is 6'x8' and the over all length is approximately 12". I'm considering lengthening the tongue another foot or so.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
FandL nice tear down pictures.
That trailer looks food for sitting in the woods for so many years without cover.
Are you keeping the original lunette?.

Thanks Mark...

I'm very happy with the trailers over all condition. However, I do have concerns with one two areas. The first concern is the location where the "A" frame bolts to the front portion of the frame (pivot point). The pivot pint is bolted to the frame and the bolt portion is rusted. I would love to replace them to ensure the parts integrity, but I may have to fabricate the part and weld it to the frame. The other is the condition of the leaf springs. I'm hoping to be able to replace them to ensure their integrity. Well one step at a time. I'll take pics and post them later.

As far as the lunette, I'm thinking of replacing it with a 2" receiver to extend the length of the tongue and have the capability of changing from a lunette to a ball when needed. But, if the lunette is found to be in good shape after the media blasting, I'll keep it.

If you have any advise, please send it over!

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
FrandL

Your title states the trailer is an M101A1. The design of the parking brake handles indicate that it is an M101.

Far as I know the brake handle design and probably taillight design are the only differences between the M101 and M101A1.

Jim

FandL

JK ADDICTION
2" RECEIVER FOR BIKE CARRIER

I got the 2" receiver to weld to the rear of the frame. I plan on having it welded a few inches lower than the bottom of the frame. The addition space gained will be used to install the tree red LED lights above the receiver and below the frame. By doing so I won't have to install the LEDs into the frame, which will reduce its integrity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 76

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Your title states the trailer is an M101A1. The design of the parking brake handles indicate that it is an M101.Far as I know the brake handle design and probably taillight design are the only differences between the M101 and M101A1

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I'm learning as I go along. If you have anymore inside info please let me know.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
When you mount the receiver tube leave the pin hole exposed.
I put mine behind the rear frame rail and at times it is a pain to put the pin in.
My 116A2 I left it exposed and liked it better.

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC05071.JPG
    DSC05071.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 86

E Dr. P

Observer
The brakes themselves are also different on the original m101s vs. the m101a1s, and early m101s would have a separate light cable that connected to a receptacle between the handbrakes. Later ones use a cable that is wired in through a junction box on the drivers side of the a frame, same as the m101a1s. Looks like its in good shape for its age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94