1953 M101A1 RESURRECTION

FandL

JK ADDICTION
FrandL

Your title states the trailer is an M101A1. The design of the parking brake handles indicate that it is an M101.

Far as I know the brake handle design and probably taillight design are the only differences between the M101 and M101A1.

Jim

Jim,

I'm not sure if there was a difference in the hinge system, but I don't think was a dump trailer. The hinges at the front of the frame are clearly designed to be hinges. I was told that this trailer unbolted at the rear of the "A" frame so to create legs when folded up. This made transporting multiple trailers (aboard cargo planes and ships) capable.

Anyway, the build goes on.

Thanks again

FandL

JK ADDICTION
THE TEAR DOWN CONTINUES

Today the frame is nearly stripped of all parts. I had some trouble with minor issues but was able to move forward. Next is the suspension. I didn't have any help, so I was unable to flip the frame to make it easier on me. I'll finish that tomorrow. I hope....

The "A" frame was another story. The bolts going through the frame and lunette mount are an issue. The bolt heads are good to go but the nuts are in bad shape and I can't get a good grip to disassemble.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, so if anyone has input please tell me. Worst case I will fabricate a new tongue using a 2" receiver, so I can switch from a ball hitch, to a Pintle hitch, or a multi-axis coupler. I'm not sure if that is legal so I will have to research.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 627
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 71

FandL

JK ADDICTION
TOURCH REQUIRED

It took a cutting touch to get the remaining bolts out of the tongue. Now stage 1 is complete! The entire trailer has been dismantled. One of the many impressive finds with this trailer is the quality and condition of the sixty year old suspension. The grease fitting in the bushings are in perfect condition. Other that cleaning and painting the leaf-springs, nothing needs done. I now plan on using the original suspension with my new axle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 69

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great progress.

The condition is very nice for sitting in the woods all those years.

Getting cold in Pa. Nice to have a large garage.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
MEDIA BLAST OF THE FRAME IS COMPLETED

The next step is the primer and then the welding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 73

FandL

JK ADDICTION
PRIMER ON & READY TO WELD

Dropped of the frame for the modifications and welding at Wegco in Bethel Park PA. They are going to fabricate the new tongue using a 2" receiver tub. Also adding a 2" receiver tub at the rear to be used for a bike rack.

Mark,
As far as the cost goes for the media blasting, it was minimal and so worth getting done. I will get the bill when the entire job is done (the tub is next).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 64

FandL

JK ADDICTION
FABRICATING BEGINS

The new tongue fabrication in tacked on and ready for welding. Angles have been added to support the tongue box and the tongue has been lengthened using the 2" receiver tube to allow the rear door of my JK to swing open with the box added.

The 2" receiver tube was tacked on to the rear of the frame in perpetration of welding to support a bike rack.

And lastly, three holes have been drilled out for the LED tail lights.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 76

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Looks good!
Are you selling the original V and lunette?

Yes. But after I clean them up (media blast, prime, and paint). Although I'm not sure there are any other 1950s M101 owners out there. The A2 and A3 people are all over the place, but I haven't seen any original M101s around.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
MORE ADD-ONS

The Dexter 3500 axle, fabricated spacer/adapter, AEV Pintler wheels, and BFG TKO 315x70x17 tires are all in!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 74

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Nice! Love those wheels.

Post your unwanted parts on HRJA.org

We are a local club to you and there are several folks on there restoring old trailers.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The V should work on A2 and A3 trailers they share the same style frame.

Love pile of toys you have there.

Are you going with a black frame or color matched to the jeep?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94