'97 Montero Sport - upper control arm issue

GrantC

Observer
The driver's side upper control arm on my '97 Sport is loose; with the wheel off I can grab onto the a-arm and push it in (toward the engine) and pull it out and there is a definitely looseness and a clunking sound. The bearings/bushings on which it rides are obviously shot.

Can those bushings/bearings be replaced, or do I have to replace the entire arm? (I can get the entire arm assembly with upper ball joint for $113, but if a component can be replaced cheaper I'd rather do that.)

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Buy the replacement part. Otherwise, a secondhand part may suit your needs but with less lifespan.

GrantC

Observer
I found out that there are no replacement bushings so I bought 2 new arms (figured that I'd replace both sides, because if one is worn out the other can't be far behind.) Had a lot of trouble getting the first upper ball joint to separate; went to the local tool emporium and bought a neat little ball joint separator that took it apart in about 10 seconds. After doing one, and figuring out all the little tricks, the other side took perhaps 30 minutes to do. A quick trip to the alignment shop, and everything's good as new!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94