Toyota LC vs Mits Montero?

DBS311

Adventurer
IMO, saying a LC will get 10 mpg compared to a Montero getting 17 is a LITTLE bit of a stretch. In my FJ62 I regularly get 12-14 when loaded. Most other people I've wheeled with from Jeeps to Xterras to Troopers to Monteros usually average 15-16 (from what they tell me). I would gladly trade 3-5 mpg for the reliability and wheelabilty I have enjoyed for the past two decades with my Cruiser. Not only that, but I wouldn't be surprised to reach 250k+ without any issues. My bro-in-law just hit 270k miles in his '88 FJ62 and has done nothing other than regular service. He is still running the original water pump!

Now, I'm not saying the Montero isn't a good vehicle. I even posted in the past asking about them because I was close to buying one. If I could find a 98-00 with low mileage and a rear locker I would love to get my hands on it. The Cruiser would then become my offroad only vehicle and the Montero would be my DD/weekend trip vehicle. BUT, if I could only have one, it would be the Land Cruiser for sure.

DavidG

Adventurer
OneTime said:
Holy Cow!!! I just posted in IH8mud.com about selling my 80 for a Monty. Those guys are killing me. And I posted in a Expedition forum purposly and not a 80 forums thinking Expedition guys would be more experienced with other brands. Only one guy spoke highly of the Monty. Personally I think they are just Toyota Snobs. I do think the LC is a better trail platform. Just not better for my personal needs. And like said early if you cant afford to drive the truck...Want good is it

IMO, a fully locked FZJ80 is the pinnacle. I would have bought one, but could not afford it at the time. I settled on the Montero. While I have thoroughly enjoyed it and it has met all my on and offroad needs, I not so secretly long for an LC. I know the fuel economy sucks, I know they are heavy and I know I can't begin to afford half the mods I would like for it...but damn if they're not stoutest, most reliable and just plain coolest real world rig I can think of.

Then again, a clapped out Suzuki Sidekick could probably get the job done 98% of the time.

Good luck either way. Parting with a rig you've become attached to is never easy. I still miss my old 2500 Suburban, barn doors, 8600# GVW, last year for the solid front *sniff sniff*

OneTime

Adventurer
Am I in a Toyota forum? LOL For the record, I think the Cruiser is the better offroad platform. I just need to be honest and realize I will use my veh much more for hualing my bikes to the trail then driving on the trail. And I think the Montero can handle the type of trail running I plan on doing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
DBS311 said:
IMO, saying a LC will get 10 mpg compared to a Montero getting 17 is a LITTLE bit of a stretch. In my FJ62 I regularly get 12-14 when loaded.

Your 62 doesn't have full time 4wd like an 80 does, either. And "fully loaded" means different things to different people. Even at 12 mpg you're talking about a significant difference if gas is $4.00 a gallon. 17mpg is definitely achievable with a Monty, and I got over 20 on at least a couple of occasions.

And I'd freely admit that the Monty is able to do this, frankly, because it's not as heavy, not as rugged, nor is it built as tough as an LC.

But that's really the whole point that the OP was making: He doesn't use all the capabilities of his LC now, but he pays for those capabilities every time he fills the tank. 25-30% difference in fuel economy may not mean much to you, but it does mean a lot to some of us. And if it makes the difference between being able to go on a long-awaited trip to somewhere special or staying home, that's a big difference because all that "capability" won't help him when his rig is parked in the driveway.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
OneTime said:
Am I in a Toyota forum? LOL For the record, I think the Cruiser is the better offroad platform. I just need to be honest and realize I will use my veh much more for hualing my bikes to the trail then driving on the trail. And I think the Montero can handle the type of trail running I plan on doing.

I have no doubt it can. As I said, you go around the world and the three most common 4wd SUVs you find in the most rugged parts of the planet are (a) the Toyota LC of every variety, (b) the Nissan Patrol and (c) the Mitsubish Pajero (AKA Montero.)

Another nice thing about the Monty vs. the 80 is that up until recently you could still get a Monty with a manual transmission. Don't know what year was the last one for the MT but my understanding is that the Gen IIIs are automatic only. :(

preacherman

Explorer
I agree with everything said. The LC are stout as nails, have great lines, and very strong. My FJ60 was one great truck...but more than I needed. I was tired of getting 12mpg every day for a truck that I only used to it's full extent some days. For me, my decision was 100% based on what was best for me and my family. For us better MPG = More trips.
Do whats best for you and yours. If that is a tricked out LC sweet, if its an awd mini van with snow tires, go for it. Just get outside and spend time with your family and friends. Don't forget, it's not about the truck.

DavidG

Adventurer
Do whats best for you and yours. If that is a tricked out LC sweet, if its an awd mini van with snow tires, go for it. Just get outside and spend time with your family and friends. Don't forget, it's not about the truck.

x2. I considered an AWD Minivan too :)

OneTime

Adventurer
But that's really the whole point that the OP was making: He doesn't use all the capabilities of his LC now, but he pays for those capabilities every time he fills the tank. 25-30% difference in fuel economy may not mean much to you, but it does mean a lot to some of us. And if it makes the difference between being able to go on a long-awaited trip to somewhere special or staying home, that's a big difference because all that "capability" won't help him when his rig is parked in the driveway.

Amen!! You get it. The LC is s wonderful rig. Just coslty. Plus coming from a guy who has now driven both. The comfront of the Monty far exceeds the 80. It's like a cross of the LC 80 and 100

DavidG

Adventurer
OneTime said:
Amen!! You get it. The LC is s wonderful rig. Just coslty. Plus coming from a guy who has now driven both. The comfront of the Monty far exceeds the 80. It's like a cross of the LC 80 and 100

Sounds like your mind is made up! We welcome your return to the wonderful world of Monteros (and fuel economy) :)

OneTime

Adventurer
Anybody wanna buy my 80? I have a few guys in Mud trying to tell me that regearing is my answer. I think that will solve my power issues. But do nothing to improve my fuel economy.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
OneTime said:
Anybody wanna buy my 80? I have a few guys in Mud trying to tell me that regearing is my answer. I think that will solve my power issues. But do nothing to improve my fuel economy.
Actualy it WOULD do something for your fuel economy... That's one of the reasons for re-gearing, to get your fianl drive ratio BACK to what it was from teh factory before you put on bigger tires. But then I don't know what if any mods you've done in teh Tire department.

Cheers

Dave

OneTime

Adventurer
Rescue My rig has 33x12.5 R15. I have read about regearing to 4.88. But I have no idea if that will improve or make my MPG worse.

Scott Brady

Founder
It will definitely improve your fuel economy... But it will cost you about $1000 to do the gearing swap, which buys a lot of fuel. I would not do it for that reason alone.

Changing vehicles will also cost you a lot of money, selling low and buying high.

Just keep the 80 and enjoy driving one of the greatest vehicles ever brought to the US.

If you really want to improve the cost ratio, it would require something drastic, like going from the 80 to a Suzuki, or 4cyl 4Runner.

90% of the time, you are better off keeping what you have ;)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
It will definitely improve your fuel economy... But it will cost you about $1000 to do the gearing swap, which buys a lot of fuel. I would not do it for that reason alone.

Changing vehicles will also cost you a lot of money, selling low and buying high.

Just keep the 80 and enjoy driving one of the greatest vehicles ever brought to the US.

If you really want to improve the cost ratio, it would require something drastic, like going from the 80 to a Suzuki, or 4cyl 4Runner.

90% of the time, you are better off keeping what you have ;)
Well put... And apparently I can't spell the word THE...

OneTime

Adventurer
I would spend the money on regearing if would improve my milage. But how much could of a improvement could I really expect to get from a regear. I had considered doing a regear and adding lockers adn rebuilding axles all at once. Firgured i was looking at about $2500.00. I would keep the LC if I could get it into the say 16-18 MPG range. I doubt that is possible. Still having a hard time not going with the Monty. For the type of driving I do. Plus I watch some youtube today. I forgot how quick the DOHC is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior