Ski/Board Storage for Truck Bed

College Kid

Adventurer
Since last season I have changed up my trucks and now am driving a F150 with a high rise canopy.

I currently don't have any roof rack, and would rather not mount one if I can get away with it. I used to carry my skis in a yakima rocket box and if I mounted that on the canopy it would be over 9 feet driving down the road (way to tall).

So what have you guys come up with the store/transport ski's in a truck bed. I don't like the idea of them just rattling around the bed.

We are a family of 3 but usually end up with a few extra sets or an extra board or two.

Ideas? Pictures?

Last edited:

Kuma632

Observer
Nice to see action in the winter sports thread! Good question, kid.
I'm going to put a truck cap on the Frontier. One reason is for securing
the skis/snowboards, etc. during winter trips. We mostly have such gear
in their own ski/boardbags which help prevent them sliding around and whatnot.
Another handy thing there is gloves, hats, extra socks, (even boots, jackets)etc.
are all organized and in one place. Could be worth a try, your bed/canopy is huge!
Hopefully more peeps will find their way here, getting towards winter,
and you'll get better input regarding your specific request.

Pray for snow! ~B

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I bet you could rig up something with extra long Voile straps to hold your skis down. Ever think of adding the track system in the bed like new Toyota's and Nissan's have? If you are good with wood working try building a storage box in the bed and line it with carpet. You could make it lockable for added security.

I have a short short bed at 4.5 feet so I have to have a Yakima box on my truck. On my old f150 I just tossed them in the back, no cap or shell, but I did not leave them in the truck at all. They were on my feet or in transit to the hill.

College Kid

Adventurer
Thanks Guys,

I am working through a couple of ideas on paper and hopefully have some drawings or even some pictures shortly.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What if you made a storage/sleeping platform in the bed and somehow made the supports wide enough for boards and skis?

College Kid

Adventurer
Here is the first drawing. It's my first time using sketchup, but I am learning fast and it is an amazing program to work through things like this.

I originally was working through having them under a sleeping platform, which might still be the way I go, but I really like ability to have the ski rack be a single unit that I could move into the garage or basement in the off season for ski storage as well.

ski rack right side.jpg

The idea is that I could store 3 sets of ski's on the top, and hopefully boots in the lower half at the back and the front and either side of the wheel.

The great part I like about this set up is I could lock the tailgate and it would be impossible to access the ski's, it also would keep them out of site.

The dimensions would be about 23 inches high (up to the top of the bed rail) and about 7 inches wide. I am thinking I will mount it using the 3 bolts and clamps for my canopy accross the top (you can just see the over hang) and then if needed use turn buckles on the bottom attached to the bed mounted cleats.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thats it a great idea. How high up are you thinking that will go? Just to the bed rail?

Have you considered any overhead storage ideas?

Also, How do you like Sketchup? I've seen it talked about a few times on here.

D

College Kid

Adventurer
I thought a bit about over head and dismissed it as I don't really want snow dripping on me or my bedding if I decide to sleep in the back.

yep it will go up to about the bed rail.

I like Sketchup. it's a neat program. I have always had been big on drawing out my ideas and designs in a note book. I usually have 2 or 3 around the house, shop, truck, just in case I want to work though and idea in my head. Sketchup is pretty neat as it gives you the 3D affect which is pretty useful. It is pretty to use as well I was able to come up with that drawing in about and hour and half of playing around.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I thought a bit about over head and dismissed it as I don't really want snow dripping on me or my bedding if I decide to sleep in the back.

yep it will go up to about the bed rail.

I like Sketchup. it's a neat program. I have always had been big on drawing out my ideas and designs in a note book. I usually have 2 or 3 around the house, shop, truck, just in case I want to work though and idea in my head. Sketchup is pretty neat as it gives you the 3D affect which is pretty useful. It is pretty to use as well I was able to come up with that drawing in about and hour and half of playing around.

Ah good call, didnt think of that one.

Im so horrible at drawing and sketching things out. I can always see what I want in my head but cant put it on paper. Been looking for something to help me desing stuff. Thanks.

Post up some pics if/when you decided to do it

D

College Kid

Adventurer
After playing around alittle more in sketchup, and reading a bunch of platform threads I think I have my design down. At least enough so that I can think about materials.

I am leaning towards 3/4 in plywood. I will be using dado joints for the shelves and I am worried that 1/2 or 3/8 would be strong enough once I cut them. What do you guys think?

Due to the 3/4 weight I am going to cut out the sides. I am not sure if I will end up with that many cuts. Probably end up making only 6 bigger triangles.

This isn't exactly to scale but you get the idea.

The snow is falling here pretty good, and ski hills are going to be open in the next couple weeks. If I can ever get the chores around the house done I will hopefully be playing with wood in the next few weeks as well.
ski rack 2.jpgski rack with sleeping platform.jpg

College Kid

Adventurer
given the fact that the white stuff has come early this year, I've had to compromise on my design, for now. I am head out to Banff this weekend for 4 days on the mountain and really wanted to have some better organization for the ski's in the bed. This is what I banged together last night. It will keep the ski's and poles from sliding around. I am think about amending my design to build a platform over top of this rack. We'll see how the first trip of the season goes I am sure will be more versions.

IMG_1106[1].jpgIMG_1107[1].jpgIMG_1108[1].jpgIMG_1109[1].jpg

And This is what it looks like out the window right now. Can't wait.

IMG_1110.jpg

College Kid

Adventurer
I ended up using that rack I built for the whole season. It worked awesome!!! When I got started on my platform I decided to scrap the ski storage on the side as it would take too much room, as well as block the windows, and in turn the airflow. My plan was to continue to use the rack I had put together on the fly under my platform. Unfortunately I ended up braking the rack by mistake when it was stored over the summer. I am planning on rebuilding something similar, as soon as I get away on Christmas holidays at the end of the week. I'll get some pictures up then.

Love to see if anyone else has come up with other good ideas.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Your final solution is a perfect example of KISS in action. Keep It Simple Stupid. A big expensive and fancy box is fine and all, but sometimes, keeping it simple is the best solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles