Glamisdude's Do it all Frontier

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
Thanks, I have seen some of the others on here but thought that they were all gravity fed. Mine is a 4" irrigation pipe (ABS was way expensive) that is about 45" long, I did the math and it should give me about 2.5 gallons. I'm hoping that it will be enough for 2 military style showers, if not though I can always just refill it and put some hot water in from the stove:)

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Nice work! there're a couple of other PVC pipe showers floating around here on ExPo similar to the one you made. Is that a 4ft section of a 4" PVC pipe? How much water does it hold?

Here comes the scientist in me.... Volume of a cylinder is

A = pi * r^2 * h = pi * 4 * 48
A = ~ 600 cubic inches or 2.6 gallons

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I have seen some of the others on here but thought that they were all gravity fed. Mine is a 4" irrigation pipe (ABS was way expensive) that is about 45" long, I did the math and it should give me about 2.5 gallons. I'm hoping that it will be enough for 2 military style showers, if not though I can always just refill it and put some hot water in from the stove:)

Beat me to it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh yes several pressurized examples too with PVC, Scepter, garden sprayers etc. Each with their own pros and cons. I wanted to build one similar to your's for cleaning up purposes (since PVC is not rated for drinking water) but never got around to it and then I ended up with an even more portable solution, weighs half the weight of the liquid water too

1209091427_05524.gif

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
^lol very funny. It took me a second to figure out that it was a fake. I was trying to think of how that made sense, "Empty into 1 gallon of water, stir and enjoy" At first I thought it was some kind of water multiplier:D

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
Recently I have been getting a high amount of questions regarding my bed setup in the shell. So I figured I would make a detailed post only about the shell insides and the platform it self.

To begin I'd like to say that this by no means a finished product nor has it ever been. Since I built it close to 3 years ago, it has been continuously changing.

Specs:
Twin size 4" thick dual stage memory foam mattress covered in cotton "T-shirt" sheets
12 connection Blue Sea fuse block, in dedicated electrical hatch
Power connections: 200w inverter, four 12v plugs, USB charging port
Command center with lighted, labeled switches
Fully dust proofed, with tail gate seal and foam stuffed everywhere
Large, spare parts storage hatch
Extra large full length and depth passenger side storage box
Two under platform half length pull out storage bins
Small 1/3 length stash cube
All Wood construction wrapped in outdoor carpet, semi-easily removed from bed,
Empty weight = ~90lbs
Total cost= ~$120

Construction details:
Materials:
Main supports are 2x8"s
Platform deck is 3/4" plywood
Side box walls are 1/2" plywood
Side box lids are 3/8" birch plywood
Side box lid rest is 1x2"
Misc. gussets and lips are scrap from above

How to:
I built mine outside of the truck after taking many measurements. I started with the main frame runners, mine are in the shape of an "H" with a connected top (think squareish A). Next I made the platform deck and put both the frame and deck in the truck bed, then began to shape the deck around all the various notches in the bed walls. Once the fit was decent, I screwed deck to runner frame and removed from the truck. After that I cut the side box wall to fit the side of the platform and screwed it on. Then put the whole thing back in the cut the notches for the shell over hang. At this point the platform stayed in the truck. Next I cut the lids to the storage box to size and then screwed in the lid rest to have lids sit flat. Then I cut the rear wall of the box to fit against the bed wall and screwed it in using a gusset to stiffen it. Now is when you want to cut any storage hatches out and then wrap the whole thing in carpet using a staple gun and carpet glue.
I finished mine in a weekend including getting all the supplies.

Realistic things I would like to add to mine currently:
- Rear shell interior brace hoop (more roof strength + less shimmies over bumps + less cracks + solid mounting points inside = :D)
- All of the modifications to the sleeping platform mentioned below (removable center section, wider shorter side box)
- Change all velcro to some alternative!
- Figure out some way to better mount speakers
- Better interior lighting (currently using the factory shell light and a battery powered stick on)
- Tint the shell windows darker with better heat rejection
- Find a way to fit my mtn bike inside shell for security

Dream add ons
- Second battery with solar charging
- Flip down monitor
- New aluminum mid height shell with custom lo pro roof rack:)

Things I'd change if I were start over with a similar setup:
1) Buy a mid to high height shell! Go for aluminum if you can swing it!(gosh, had I known what I know now...) The cab height fiberglass looks great from the outside and gives it a lower profile but that extra 4-6" or even 8-10" of head room would have made it so I could sit up fully and not have my neck totally sideways. This make it possible to go into the shell to just sit and hang out without having to lay down. Also with a higher shell you could make storage in the roof area, like mini overhead cabinets and such. The reason I say aluminum vs fiberglass is because I'm already having to fight with cracks (and major ones at that) and its less than 3 years old! Aluminum will do much better offroad, and allow you screw, cut, and modify it how you please without glass mat and resin (nasty stuff for those that don't know).
2) Make the side storage box a little wider and about 6-8" shorter but still bed rail height. Currently the opening is about 10" or so, which is quite small when trying to take things in and out. I think the sweet spot would be about 13-14", this would still give enough room for two people to sleep with out being on top of each other. Making it slightly shorter would allow you to mount things to the back panel by the tailgate (ie fire extinguisher, switches, lights, etc) and still be able to close the gate.
3) Make the center section between the two main runners of the platform frame removable (if not the whole thing). This gives you at least 3-4' of full bed depth and height. Will be handy say when you go buy something and you can't fit it in the bed because your fancy platform is too tall to have the item fit under the shell window frame... (ask me how I know...)
4) Get a shell that has a single rear lock in the center vs. the double like I have. Its a pain to have to unlock both every time I want to get in back there...
5) Don't use stick on velcro for anything back there! It gets so hot in the sun that the velcro adhesive will melt and leave a nearly impossible to remove gu.
6) Use water heater foil bubble wrap for curtains. Blackout, form fitting to windows, and ultimate heat rejection.
7) Don't get a boot for the shell. This one is not too bad but had I had the choice again. I'd go with a flip down slider up front. The boot is not the worst thing in the world but mine does even so slightly leak when it rains (only enough to have a few streaks down the back window), and it is rubbing the paint off of the truck despite my best efforts to prevent it.

My favorite features:
1) Windoor on shell. God how anyone can deal with not having at least one! I could not afford windoors when I ordered my shell and it was a mistake not saving some more $$ for them. I added one nearly a year later and it cost my $250 ($350 if I wanted a windoor with a slider). If your ordering a new shell, these are a must if you plan on camping in it, just make sure you have at least one slider window/ windoor with a screen as it gets stuffy quick in there...
2) Curtains. Unless you like 5am bright sun in your eyes and scorching temps inside in a matter of minutes, you want some good curtains. I had my grandma help me sew mine together initially but I have added screen material to the windoor and reardoor ones so that they can be open to allow air in. The materiel used is thick and waterproof, so its great for blackout but could use better heat rejection.
3) Comfy mattress. Yes its big, heavy, your friends make fun of you for it, and its a pain in ******** to deal with most of the time; when it comes time to go to bed its all worth it. Mine is a memory foam mattress topper that was like $90 for Walmart, and it is nearly as comfy as my home mattress. Nothing beats a good night sleep after a long day out and about.
4) That USB charging port. Its awesome, just like at home when I go to bed I can plug my phone in for the night.
5)The speakers back there. Super sweet at the drive in, watching movies on your laptop, or low power camp tunes.

Pictures as of 12-2013:

Where the pull out bins live:
IMG_20131129_123751_zps05f50ed7.jpg

IMG_20131129_123812_zps5949917d.jpg

The Electrical hatch:
IMG_20131129_123532_zps9e50cf57.jpg

Spare parts storage hatch:
IMG_20131129_123453_zps2d3c34ab.jpg

Front edge, 3 12v plug visible
IMG_20131129_123348_zpsa02d8d7e.jpg

Driver corner, fit is good but not perfect, small cavity allows for access to plugs in bed wall for easy wiring:
IMG_20131129_123337_zpsb4579259.jpg

Control panel with inverter, front of passenger side storage box:
IMG_20131129_123158_zpsb947946b.jpg

Middle of box:
IMG_20131129_123131_zps17279f06.jpg

Rear of box (wires hanging are for speakers, currently I'm trying to find a better home for them):
IMG_20131129_123119_zpse7ae87c0.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
For those of you that dont know, I copied Glamisdudes sleeping platform...just a little bigger since my truck is a fullsize. Worked great. Plenty of head room, storage underneath and plenty of storage in the box. Anyone thinking of going this route I suggest it. Works awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

D

uscg2008

Explorer
Got any more info and pics of the side lights you have on your rack? I'm looking into getting some side camping lights for my rack and I was wondering what you think about the ones you have?

uscg2008

Explorer
Thanks for the info man I may have to look into those. Def some very good light output for the price.

notabiker

What kind of bike (motorcycle) do you haul with the hitch? How far out past the sides does it stick? I wouldn't mind a topper on my frontier but I use the bed to haul my drz400 which is snug with the sliding bed divider half off the rails in the front (it's still secure and it keeps my front tire from rubbing through the bed paint in the corner).

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
Sorry for the late reply, but currently its a CRF250r but will soon be a KTM 300 xcw. It sticks out about 3-4 inches per side. I like it but I'd still prefer the bike in the bed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Sir, that is a beautiful truck and I love the shower idea! I might have to steal it too ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior