My little sleeping pod i built for a utility trailer

lilgription

Observer
I'd be very careful using a propane heater in there, especially while sleeping. It will burn through the oxygen very quickly.

What sort of ventilation does it have?

Yes I'm aware of the propane problem.. The big window has a small up and down slider plus the bigger portion is actually an escape hatch unit. The small window on the drivers side is a up and down slider also. And at the moment I'm working on a vent that will be placed above the heater shelf facing toward the back of Pod beside the rear door, keeping it waterproof from rain and spray is stumping me. And really the time that Ive spent in it working with the door shut I may not need the heater but to warm it up to temperature , I believe that it will warm up nice with body temperature. The reason I didn't install a roof vent was because of a roof rack I'm working on to hold my kayaks

lilgription

Observer
I love your build. about as simple as can be. I like the trailer window with the slider for fresh air. The fact that it can be skidded onto a trailer or carried in a truck bed is a bonus. Checks off all the boxes of the KISS rule.:coffee:

Thanks

FAW3

Adventurer
Very nice design and build!

It's so easy to get into the mindset "got to have x,y,z" and as a result folks end up focusing on the aspect of the "toy" and not the actual "fun". Great use of what you have to get on the road & trail NOW.

lilgription

Observer
Well after nine months of using the OSP, I am well pleased. Ive been off the beaten path to the deepest of wood and the end of the trail to many fishing spots. There are a few things that I plan on altering soon to have once the cool weather begins. Ive had many people stop and want to see the inside with a few having me to price them one for their hunting land. I also had a guy from Alabama with a hunting show interested in one to use for The Wounded Warrior Project which he does a lot for. To be used as a hunting blind for wheelchaired Vets. That one would be on me of course.... Thanks to all who answered my questions in the pre-build.

ober27

Adventurer
Having someone see something you've built, and want one for their own is high praise. You should be proud. Any campsite photos you'd like to share. Any thing you'd do differently now that you've had a chance to test it out?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice job and great idea, I like the "pod" concept. Looks like our trailers are very similar and I've been cooking that idea as well. Lots of possibilities.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
Having someone see something you've built, and want one for their own is high praise. You should be proud. Any campsite photos you'd like to share. Any thing you'd do differently now that you've had a chance to test it out?

This is great - nice work! I have been thinking of building something very similar for a small off road trailer that is getting ready to start construction. Anything that you would have done differently or added / subtracted?

Where did you source the windows from? I really like the idea of having the escape window on there for safety.

Last question - do you find it sturdy enough that you can stand or put some serious cargo on top?

Thanks!

lilgription

Observer
Don't have any pics of this year. I had them all on my phone ....and lets just say they got wet......

lilgription

Observer
Ryan I built this as a K.I.S.S. design. I would have liked to put a battery compartment. I should have put in a roof vent , for the fan aspect, but the windows are so big that its really not needed.. The windows and door are from e-bay. I found a dealer on there that had used windows and luggage compartment doors, much cheaper if you look before you buy. I bought all my stuff from that one dealer. As far as the roof cargo capacity goes , I'm 275lbs and ive walked all over it with no issues. Ive hauled two fishing kayaks up there which together weigh in at around 200lbs.. The roof bars I made double as the lifting location while using the gantry to load it..But other than the battery thing im completely satisfied. I may paint it one color at some point to tone down the wow factor ,but im a redneck at heart so I may not.. lol . Like I said earlier in the build most places I go don't have water or electric anywhere close so I just haul my water and really the only thing that requires electric would be a phone charger. I have a small solar phone charger. All the lights inside are battery operated LED lights for simplicity. To be honest I probably only have about $400 in it
This is great - nice work! I have been thinking of building something very similar for a small off road trailer that is getting ready to start construction. Anything that you would have done differently or added / subtracted?

Where did you source the windows from? I really like the idea of having the escape window on there for safety.

Last question - do you find it sturdy enough that you can stand or put some serious cargo on top?

Thanks!

rgramjet

Great build! Creative and versatile.

I need to build something like this for hunting. My hunt club has a cabin but the snoring situation has gotten out of hand. I'm a super light sleeper.

A Google search brought me to your post and to this great forum. Looking forward to spending time here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94