Front bumper build. Step by step guide...

boo471

Adventurer
I finally got around to start my front bumper build. I scrapped the plans for a tubular bumper which was my original plan and will do a sheet metal bumper instead. I don't really have a good reason for that more than I think it fits the truck a lot better.

I thought I will try to do a little write up on this and do more of a step by step on this instead of just presenting some pictures. Just to show everyone that you can do a lot of fabrication in your own garage with just some simple tools and some pieces of sheet metal.

I'll be building the bumper out of 3/16" steel (Because thats what I had laying around the house). And I'll probably use some tubing to create a hoop to attach my 9" lights (A.K.A "Zombie Targeting System on my switch board). And the only tools I'll be using is my grinder, sawzall, drill, HFT Pipe bender and welder. It takes longer and not as easy as having more advanced tools but it works just fine.

The first step was to come up with a design. I spent a few hours online and sketched some cool design ideas (at least according to me). Once I had a ruff picture in my head I started playing with it in CAD. I have access to Catia V5 at work so I used that. But any software would do or even cooler, a pen and paper.

I created some views on my bumper and printed it for reference. And thats all I will use it for, reference.
Bumperbuild117_zpse317a6f7.jpg

I will mostly create the design as go along. I knew I wanted to get kind of a diamond pattern design on the bumper. Think stealth airplane. I like the triangles and it makes for a strong design as well instead of using long flat pieces.

So the first step is to remove the stock bumper. 10min later it will look like this (truck is lifted because I'm bleeding the power steering system, more about that in the text lower down).
Bumperbuild121_zps71b40bd7.jpg

I know that there is a big chance that I will get a winch and mount in the truck. So I had to make room for that. I made my own paper winch mock up to use as help when designing the bumper. Its dimensions is pretty big so I know I will fit most winches once I decide on one.

Here is my awesome winch eyeballed so the roller will be centered on the bumper. Meaning the winch sits a little towards the passenger side.
Bumperbuild119_zpsbac51862.jpg

The first thing you will notice when you have your fake winch in place is that there is a lot of piping going on in front of the truck. And I want my winch/bumper as close to the vehicle as possible. So I had to do something about that.

I dont have a before picture but what I did was to gently bend the pipes by hand and tuck them closer to the body. Here is the passenger side.
Bumperbuild123_zps3c70d0e2.jpg

Driver side. I switched location on the 2 pipes so the power steering piping was on the outside holding the other pipe tucked in by the help of the bracket.
The downside with this is that you have to disconnect the hoses and pipes and if you get air in to your power steering system you need to bleed it. its a 20min job and pretty simple. But you need to lift the truck to get the wheels of the ground. But yeah, I had to do this.
Bumperbuild122_zpsaf6fea4e.jpg

I noticed that I hadn't been that gentle with bending the pipes on the driver side and had a bad kink in the pipe.
Bumperbuild116_zpsd8416f94.jpg

So I cut the pipe of and ran the hose down to the new location. Easy fix, But it meant bleeding the system again :mad:
Bumperbuild115_zps486122a9.jpg

You'll also find some brackets here and there that you might want to remove.
Bumperbuild120_zps0edb6557.jpg

Bumperbuild112_zps920d9ab3.jpg

Once you got the front end cleaned up its time for the fun stuff. To start designing your mock up bumper. I used some hard foam paper from office depot. I used cardboard on my last couple of mock ups which is cheaper but this is much better and has similar thickness as my sheet metal.

I started with the boring stuff. The fixing points. The reason for that is that it will kind of effect the rest of the design, depending on how I will mount it to the truck. So thats a good place to start. I will use the stock 4 bolts (on each side) that the stock bumper use. But I will also use 2 bolts on the side of the frame and then bolt this bracket to the bumper. A lot of aftermarket bumper for yotas use this and its a smart design that will make it a lot stronger.
Bumperbuild114_zpsad782903.jpg

I will modify the angle of the bracket facing forward and have my skids press up agains these. So they can act as supports when hitting a rock.

Then its on with the bumper itself. I started from the top and worked my way down.
Ruff top plate cut out.
Bumperbuild118_zps6f0d5a2a.jpg

I then moved on with the plating under the lights.
Bumperbuild111_zps83a5c166.jpg

After that I just continued to add pieces to get the look that I was after. I made a piece. tested it. did some cuts to it and adjusted, then on to the next one.
Bumperbuild110_zps8cc564d1.jpg

Bumperbuild19_zpsc286426a.jpg

Bumperbuild17_zpseba59f44.jpg

Bumperbuild16_zps0e8a110d.jpg

As you see I only to one side of the front and I will just cut out doubles when needed for the other side as well. Whats left to do on the mock up is the front skid shape and design for air going in to the cooling package.

I had to remove the mock up to take my truck to work tomorrow. But the last thing I did was to mark all the pieces and take lots of pictures so you know what goes where!
Bumperbuild14_zpsd673df2f.jpg

To be continued.

Aegis

K9 Handler
Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product after all's said and done :)

... Are you going to be powdercoating or painting the final product?

boo471

Adventurer
Front bumper build progress....

I spent a few hours on the bumper the other day.

I did some alterations on the design. I thought that some of the edges was to sharp so I split them up in to more triangles to smooth it out. I also added an awesome design/sketch for a recovery point:ylsmoke:
Bumperbuild18_zps95fc3335.jpg

Here is the design as it sits now. (No its not a d**k drawn on the front plate. Its numbered "3" and I also draw the opening for the fairlead:))
Bumperbuild17_zpsea4f2d6f.jpg

Time to carry out the freakkin heavy steel sheet I have in the garage and start cutting out some pieces.
Bumperbuild16_zpsa575023a.jpg

I started with the cutting out the mounting plates and test fitted them
Bumperbuild15_zps98302729.jpg

Bumperbuild14_zpsac59fe2a.jpg

I then moved on with the pieces making up the lower portion of the bumper. The reason for this is that I will do some reinforcements in this area and use this as a base for the upper part of the bumper. So once the lower part is tack welded I can start cutting out the upper pieces and adjust them if needed instead of cutting out all the pieces at the same time and then one or two of them are to small or has the wrong angle and then you have to cut out a new piece. Thats just wast a of steel.
Bumperbuild13_zpsbe249776.jpg

Here are all the pieces that makes up the lower portion up the bumper, ruff cut. I'll need to grind them down a little and I will also do some cut outs in the bottom/front skid to allow airflow going in to the cooler.
Bumperbuild12_zpsca70c033.jpg

So once I got these pieces tacked up I'll start cutting out the rest of the bumper piece by piece and tack weld it in place.
Bumperbuild11_zpsc0b5c629.jpg

To be continued

//Marten

boo471

Adventurer
Front bumper build moves forward...slowly

Why didn't I build a normal square box bumper! Gaaah trying to get these triangle pieces to line up is a mess. But I'll get it to work.

I did some more work on the bumper yesterday. I started with cutting out the vents in the front skid. I used a 1" drill to do the triangles corners and then use the grinder with a cutting wheel to do the cut outs.
DSCF2710_zpsbbef2703.jpg

Then I moved on with the grinding wheel and grinded down all the edges and straighted them out. Here are all pieces ready to be assembled.
DSCF2711_zpsc0ba961a.jpg

I started tacking it together on the ground before mounting it to the truck.
DSCF2712_zps55ca1d49.jpg

Once on the truck I just added piece by piece to get the complete assembly together.
DSCF2713_zpsa2d2626d.jpg

I measured both once and twice. The "box" is nice and square but there wasn't a perfect symmetry on both sides. So I cut the weld spots and gave it another shot, this time I did the entire assembly on the ground.
DSCF2717_zpsda9bb9a7.jpg

Its still not perfect. So I will most likely chop it up AGAIN and see if I cant get it lined up better. I knew it was going to be hard getting all these triangles to line up and get everything perfect, but not this hard. I should have taken more measurements of the mock up then I did. Aaah well I will just keep on trying.

This is how it looks right now.
DSCF2714_zps0821347f.jpg

DSCF2715_zpsdc299137.jpg

DSCF2718_zps9c68f220.jpg

To be continued...

mccustomize

Explorer
Instead of using a full sheet of steel, I start with steel strap in various widths, 6" 8" 10" etc. It's usually loads cheaper and you have a bunch of factory edges to work with.

boo471

Adventurer
Instead of using a full sheet of steel, I start with steel strap in various widths, 6" 8" 10" etc. It's usually loads cheaper and you have a bunch of factory edges to work with.

Yep that would probably have worked. But I have two 4x8 feet sheets of 3/16 in the garage so figured I would use them. They take up to much space.

java

Expedition Leader
Sub'ed Thanks for posting. Thats a lot of work, but im sure it will be an awesome one of a kind piece when your done

mccustomize

Explorer
Absolutely, just sharing a little trick for someone going out and buying steel. I wish I could see the pictures at work, stupid firewall.

But I have built a few plate style bumper and a few tube style, I gotta say plate is easier with basic tools. I am leaning towards all plate in the centers (frame rail to frame rail) and tube on the ends to keep some weight down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior