1986 B2 build

4x4junkie

Explorer
pulled ignition control module today and replaced and it started. but now driving it stutters really bad in overdrive

That doesn't answer my question...

Did you pull the DTC codes from your PCM??
Has your Check Engine (or Service Engine) light lit up at all while driving? (even if intermittent)?

Without the codes, you're just guessing and wasting $$$ throwing parts at it that may not be bad.

storey618

Observer
That doesn't answer my question...

Did you pull the DTC codes from your PCM??
Has your Check Engine (or Service Engine) light lit up at all while driving? (even if intermittent)?

Without the codes, you're just guessing and wasting $$$ throwing parts at it that may not be bad.

im not wasting money, that thing was bad, it would not start until i replaced it. i dont have any way to read codes and the light has never come on.

4x4junkie

Explorer
i dont have any way to read codes and the light has never come on.

You don't have a paperclip or a piece of wire, a pair of eyeballs, and can count??

You probably might want to get a service manual for your truck (even if it's just a Haynes or Chiltons manual). It helps a lot while trying to troubleshoot these types of issues (explains how to use said piece of wire). ;)

Actual code readers are not that expensive either, though on a OBDI you don't really even need one.

storey618

Observer
You don't have a paperclip or a piece of wire, a pair of eyeballs, and can count??

You probably might want to get a service manual for your truck (even if it's just a Haynes or Chiltons manual). It helps a lot while trying to troubleshoot these types of issues (explains how to use said piece of wire). ;)

Actual code readers are not that expensive either, though on a OBDI you don't really even need one.

ive used the wire before but i thought that was just on obd2 vehicles. where does the code get dispayed?

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Manuels are your friend. Google can help some to. check out some forums for older rangers the B2 and ranger shared a lot of the same parts.

4x4junkie

Explorer
also i have a manual

Well git to readin' it then! :coffee:

OBDI codes are flashed out on the check engine light. There are different sets of codes (some active, some stored in memory). Some require retrieval with the engine off, others need it to be running. The manual should explain how to do all this.

OBDII (all '96 & later) vehicles require a reader (a.k.a. code scanner).

storey618

Observer
Well git to readin' it then! :coffee:

OBDI codes are flashed out on the check engine light. There are different sets of codes (some active, some stored in memory). Some require retrieval with the engine off, others need it to be running. The manual should explain how to do all this.

OBDII (all '96 & later) vehicles require a reader (a.k.a. code scanner).

obd2 on chrysler you turn the key on and off three times and the code dispays on the digital gauge cluster, gm's you use a paperclip and jump two ports and it dispays on the digital gauge cluster. you dont HAVE to have a code scanner for obd2. ill look at the manual tonight

Bernard_Roofus

"Jackaroo of all trades"
The Haynes manual covers the check engine codes procedure. Or you can get a fancy code reader for $30 from autozone that will beep and blink a led to read the codes. It can also perform tests to the system. I keep mine in the glove box just in case...

storey618

Observer
well since ive ran the truck its cleaned up quite a bit, went from endless running issues to about once a day and it last half as long. also i went and got an orv sticker today

storey618

Observer
Good deal, I am getting ready to build a safari rack for mine. Where did you get the sticker?

got it from walmart. no one even knew what it was! isnt that supposed to be a redneck store lol went through some mud today, my girlfriend was sweet enough to get out and get 2 good shots :D

20131101_131440.jpg

20131101_131517.jpg

Bernard_Roofus

"Jackaroo of all trades"
Looks great! Here is mine in its natural environment...
abuzymyq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz