Making a ifting roof on a 110

wuntenn

Adventurer
That new top looks like a great improvement. Good work and thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Makes a huge difference. Nearly 7 standing height - can walk to the middle of the van without hitting my head (and I'm 6') and it can sleep two adults uptop with lots of space - 7' of length so not cramped.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Well I finally got it my 110 roof fettled and working as I wanted it to, so took it for its first test drive last week for a few days just up the road from my home in the north (of Scotland).

Now the restrictions have eased its legal although still required no-contact interactions (hardly saw anyone anyway).

It was variously cold, it was windy, it was wet, then it was warm. It kept me warm and dry, no rattles or leaks, the additional weight was hardly noticeable - the 110 bowled along nicely.

The ease of operation and being able to stand up in the back cooking my supper within 10 minutes of stopping is priceless!

jul20jmp37034.jpgjul20jmp37346.jpgjul20jmp37293.jpgjul20jmp37789.jpgjul20jmp37749.jpgjul20jmp38234.jpgjul20jmp38218.jpgjul20jmp38037.jpgjul20jmp38040.jpgjul20jmp37454.jpg

wuntenn

Adventurer
Thanks Arjan! The fabric sides were good for summer use, and when it wasn't terribly windy, but not a lot of fun in the winter. The hard sides are insulated and dry, and despite a few hours of pretty strong gusts on the North Coast straight off the Atlantic the van just rocked a wee bit but no creaks or groans or leaks so I'm really happy. It was a really awkward addition with a lot of experimentation to get the various aspects right.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
I'm making some progress on the elevating roof on the 110 - but too busy workwise but it will happen..

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
The plan :

1595538104455.png

The lifting section needs to fit between the B & D hoop of the roll cage and the other tubes of the cages.

It is a VERY tight fit and knowing Land Rover tolerances I need to fit the roof 1st to the vehicle before going any further as there is very little room for error...

wuntenn

Adventurer
The plan :

View attachment 600470

The lifting section needs to fit between the B & D hoop of the roll cage and the other tubes of the cages.

It is a VERY tight fit and knowing Land Rover tolerances I need to fit the roof 1st to the vehicle before going any further as there is very little room for error...

I feel your pain. I fabricated my sides and rear then discovered to my dismay that the 110 is not 'square' (side to side) it actually 'leans' to the driver's side meaning that I had to 'accommodate' this error in the assembly.

The main part it affected was the rear section, which was already all welded and prepped. I was able to get around it by some careful bodging but it was a completely unforeseeable problem that only revealed itself when everything was partly assembled.

Yes, get that roof back on and work from some fixed points of reference!

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Yes - I've had vehicles with 46 mm. tolerances and I simply do not want to run the risk !

So, as soon as I can I will chisel out the whateveritis from the gutters etc, get some decent kit in and spray the thing( well, the Mrs. does the spraying, and swap the roofs. Once bolted in I'll align the lifting section and drill 4 holes for the legs. Fabris is here but needs some modifications..

wuntenn

Adventurer
Yes - I've had vehicles with 46 mm. tolerances and I simply do not want to run the risk !

So, as soon as I can I will chisel out the whateveritis from the gutters etc, get some decent kit in and spray the thing( well, the Mrs. does the spraying, and swap the roofs. Once bolted in I'll align the lifting section and drill 4 holes for the legs. Fabris is here but needs some modifications..
Sounds like a plan! Good luck - post progress so we can see where you're at!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior