Registering M101A2 issue

Pccruiser

Observer
So I went into the courthouse in Southlake (DFW area) and they were wanting VIN numbers etc off the trailer and warned me against registering it as a home built trailer.

Said police have been cracking down on this lately and if there is any sort of id number on it and it's not registered with it they will treat it as stolen.

So I have to register it as a manufactured trailer under 4000lb (maximum 2700 lb load) for 75 bucks.

Sounds right or no?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sounds ok to me.
Just make it legal and when they issue numbers stamp them on the frame, tub and axle.
Too many thieves rolling around this great nation.

TRACTION

Adventurer
Why not register it as is? They're recognizably not homebuilt so not worth risking it. My M101A2 has a SN and it wasn't difficult to register. $75 sounds about right but I don't remember for sure.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Sounds like your answer is in your post. As long as there are no VIN type numbers on the trailer you are gtg.

I did mine as a home build. I could not find any specific description of what constitutes home built.....

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I'm dealing with transfer of an M416 from texas to arizona right now. Texas registered it as a 2011 homebuilt 4000lb gross, no vin nothing on the paperwork. So Az obviously recognizes it is not home built, and sees the data plate with MFG serial. Now I'm going through hoops to get it cleared up. I think I'm on the right track after two trips to the DMV. Hopefully third time is a charm.

I want it registered as the 67 stevens it is and would advise you to register yours as it is.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Is there a data plate?
Did you get a SF97 form from the government?

Attachments

• imagesCA694CQU.jpg
    imagesCA694CQU.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 159

RagnarD

Adventurer
I would not mess with the data plates unless you are doing a restoration and want them for historical purposes. My data plates were not legible so I removed them. Nothing says you can't remove your data plates.

I am in TX also.

TwinStick

Explorer
I actually bought a legit, brand new 1500 lb tilting bed utility trailer & had issues !!! The VIN was on a paper tag/sticker on the side of frame. I knew it wouldn't last but 1 winter here in NY State. Insp station said the VIN # had to be stamped in frame. So i borrowed my neighbors HD 1" number & letter punch set & did it myself. Problem solved.

shogun

Adventurer
I'm dealing with transfer of an M416 from texas to arizona right now. Texas registered it as a 2011 homebuilt 4000lb gross, no vin nothing on the paperwork. So Az obviously recognizes it is not home built, and sees the data plate with MFG serial. Now I'm going through hoops to get it cleared up. I think I'm on the right track after two trips to the DMV. Hopefully third time is a charm.

Dont even bother with DMV. Go to Donna's Title on 22nd and they will fix you up. Forget what TX did, use the data plate "VIN" and start new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier