broken arrow trip

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
ShottsCruisers said:
SINCE WHEN? Did they close the Homestead to camping when they activated it for Jeep Tours? ERRR.

I don't know when exactly, but it has been for a long time. I had also heard that there was consideration of closing the trail completely (my guess is that the homeowners near the trailhead were involved?) and I don't know if it is still open or not. I need to pay a visit.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
BajaTaco said:
I don't know when exactly, but it has been for a long time. I had also heard that there was consideration of closing the trail completely (my guess is that the homeowners near the trailhead were involved?) and I don't know if it is still open or not. I need to pay a visit.

Heck with the homeowners. There's another way in there. A more scenic way from father down on US89A. ERR!

Well I guess then I'm really fortunate to being running Casner Mountain this weekend. Joe Chott (in our Club) has been trying for 10-years to get a permit. He got it and we're going. 10 rigs and 25 people max. Should be sweet. It goes between the 2 wilderness areas and tops out in the Coconino at 7000'. Should be an interesting run....the FS says:

“The Casner Mountain Trail #8 is extremely steep and rough. Attempting any portion of this route alone or by anyone who is not well versed in 4X4 mountain driving is not recommended. It is a long distance from help, should it be needed.”

I looked at the trail on TerraServer. It measure out steeper than Black Bear Pass in CO. :Wow1: It looks dangerous....I'm going to be losing my mind. Pray for me amigos.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
ShottsCruisers said:
Heck with the homeowners. There's another way in there. A more scenic way from father down on US89A. ERR!

Well I guess then I'm really fortunate to being running Casner Mountain this weekend. Joe Chott (in our Club) has been trying for 10-years to get a permit. He got it and we're going. 10 rigs and 25 people max. Should be sweet. It goes between the 2 wilderness areas and tops out in the Coconino at 7000'. Should be an interesting run....the FS says:

“The Casner Mountain Trail #8 is extremely steep and rough. Attempting any portion of this route alone or by anyone who is not well versed in 4X4 mountain driving is not recommended. It is a long distance from help, should it be needed.”

I looked at the trail on TerraServer. It measure out steeper than Black Bear Pass in CO. :Wow1: It looks dangerous....I'm going to be losing my mind. Pray for me amigos.

WOW - COOL!!! Oh man, that sounds fun. We will pray for you.. LOL

Attachments

• yota1.jpg
    yota1.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 0
S

Scenic WonderRunner

During my trip to Sedona and the Broken Arrow Trail in May 2005.....

I headed up Schnebly Hill for some views....and for a scenic way to get back up to the Mogollon rim and our camp site on Milk Ranch Point.

At the top of Schnebly Hill.....look for a two track on the right hand side as you crest up into the flat top area.....you can do dispersed camping up there and have some pretty nice views!....I bet the sunsets from up there are awesome!

I am also very frustrated how they are closing off most of the great dispersed camping areas......and it's almost impossible to get a reservation along the Oak Creek campsites.

LINK: Schnebly Hill Infohttp://www.desertusa.com/mag02/aug/sed1.html

Attachments

• BrokenArrowValleyView02.jpg
    BrokenArrowValleyView02.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 22

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Got some way points for the meeting spot for the trip I was thinking about meeting around 9am 45 miles North of the 101 and I17 N34'19.542 by W112'07.142 Broken arrow is about 45min or so from there and we can say meet anyone else camping in the area at the parking ot of broken arrow at 10am so ok with everyone by the way at an advg. speed of 70mph around 45 min to get to that way point via the 17. If you don't have a GPS call me for more info and directions @ 602-647-1200 Hint we can gas up about 50 yard infrom the way point.
joe

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
lionsbreath said:
Got some way points for the meeting spot for the trip I was thinking about meeting around 9am 45 miles North of the 101 and I17 N34'19.542 by W112'07.142 Broken arrow is about 45min or so from there and we can say meet anyone else camping in the area at the parking ot of broken arrow at 10am so ok with everyone by the way at an advg. speed of 70mph around 45 min to get to that way point via the 17. If you don't have a GPS call me for more info and directions @ 602-647-1200 Hint we can gas up about 50 yard infrom the way point.
joe

Haven't looked at your waypoint, however, it's far longer to BA than 45-min from 45-miles N of the AZ101. BA is about 45-minutes from Camp Verde. :)

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I have us meeting at exit 262 Cordes Junc. I show the exit for broken arrow (hwy 179) as exit 298 would it be better if we all meet here at the North end of Phoenix an stayed together? Say meet somewhere around deer valley and 17 or something like that? How many do we have going?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Joe, you convinced me, mark me down for this trip. I am not sure yet who in my brood is going to attend, but I will be there with my trusy Trooper. :luxhello:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Joe, set up a meeting place for this trip, I know you had coordinates set for it but were thinking of changing them. Let us know where to meet and I will be there. How about at the Chevron at Carefree Highway and I-17? :confused:

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I think I17 and Carefree @ the Cheveron Station is a good idea. Say 8 am and We will leave @ 8:30 Sound good to everyone

Attachments

• P4101126.jpg
    P4101126.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P4080782.jpg
    P4080782.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P4101165.jpg
    P4101165.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 0
  • moab_day_three_250_20110413_1933891449.jpg
    moab_day_three_250_20110413_1933891449.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 3
  • P4090950.jpg
    P4090950.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-02-18_13-45-50_507.jpg
    2012-02-18_13-45-50_507.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 1

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Before running Broken Arrow and Casner Powerline last Saturday I picked up a map showing camping areas.

I was correct (for once :D ), camping is allowed on on the Pipeline section of the Pipeline/Greasy Spoon Trail. Basically everything is open on the WEST side of Greasy Spoon (FH152A) and both sides of Pipeline (west of the FH152A jct).

This will be warmer camping than atop Schnebly Hill.

Broken Arrow has been made easier again. :mad: Very little challenge now. All the ledges have been filled in more. The Devil's Staircase did seem a little more cut up than normal though? Still though, a lot of fun and really scenic. An Arizona favorite!

Attachments

• V__4C7B.jpg
    V__4C7B.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WP_000504.jpg
    WP_000504.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 3

lionsbreath

Adventurer
reconfirm

Just so everyone is on the same page we will be meeting at the cheveron station @ I17 & Carefree Hwy @ 8am and leaving at 8:30 We should be able to be at broken aroow by around 10:30-10:45 for anyon meeting us up there. I will run my CB on chan. #4 I look forward to a great trip and meeting everyone. Please make sure you have all the standard eq. for the trip.
Ie: recovery strap
tow points
first aid kit
water
Fire Extingisher
Broken Arrow is a fun trail to run and able to be done with a good clearance stock 4x4 and a great place to learn. No need for lockers, just pick good line and don't be afraid to ask for a sencond set of eyes if you feel the need.
We can vote where to go after Broken Arrow. Any question PLEASE CALL MY CELL 602-647-1200 I wil be working on Sat. and will be away from my computer. If you are running late call
Joe :elkgrin:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Joe, sorry I missed this trip, I woke up Sunday morning with a flooded back yard and some sprinkler system work that needed tending to. Are you going to post a report soon? I would love to hear about it and see some pics so I can be jealous that I didn't make it. Next time though.

Attachments

• jeep_new.jpg
    jeep_new.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior