Ford Transit Connect 4wd conversion?

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
What are the chances and cost in trying to fit say a Ranger or Bronco II 4wd drive train? I ask because I'm interested in buying a transit within the next 6 months.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I can't answer your question directly, but Quigley has said that it plans to convert Transits to 4WD. It seems unlikely that the conversion will be any easier than their current conversions done to E-Series vans, so figure that the current cost of about $13,000 would be the least they would charge.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think you are talking about the small transit connect car and not the large sprinter like van?
No real option on the car based "connect".

Google it Research; said:
What are the chances and cost in trying to fit say a Ranger or Bronco II 4wd drive train? I ask because I'm interested in buying a transit within the next 6 months.

madmax718

Explorer
Not really likely to be able to fit ranger and bronco parts. its a FF layout vehicle, and based on the old ford focus.

Unlike the econolines, which can share a lot of parts with the F pickups, the big frames and RWD allow quigly to add a transfer case to the back of the existing transmission.

On a FF vehicle, you'd have to rework a lot- most of the time a completely different transmission.

Not to sound crazy, but if they would add some low geared electric hubs to the rear, you can get pretty close to 4wd capability at low speed. Tie into engine OBD2 speedo reading, and power up the rear wheels when you engage the "4wd" button. Heck, some crazy programmer could probably figure out to engage it when DSC kicks on (and button is pressed).

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I've totally thought about doing a conversion on one of these (for the next project van). I think a 4x4 Connect on 33's would look killer! From what I've seen of the little transit connect, it would require quite a bit of work to make it happen but it isn't impossible. Anything is possible if you really want to put the time and money into it...
The street rod industry is basically centered around the idea of taking components from one car and fitting them to another car to make it better, faster, cooler, more unique. Anything can be done...it's just 4 tires, a body and drivetrain. Would you think putting an AWD chassis under a Camaro is impossible? Nope, it's already been done. It wasn't done with parts purchased at NAPA but someone still pulled it off.
I think there's a way to do a 4x4 Connect cleanly by using a combination of Ranger parts and a custom frame but it wouldn't be a trivial exercise to integrate the two vehicles since they don't share any parts. Full-on custom job... probably months of work and piles of cash. And as long as I'm going way out there with the idea, I'd probably find a small diesel to put in it too (2.0L TDI would be awesome!).

madmax718

Explorer
Tossing anything more than 15-20k for a conversion is nothing more than the excercise in being different. It merely becomes a 4x4 connect body on top of *something*.

Like you said, not trivial. and camaro has at least the other GM lineup with similiar engine/transmission combinations to help this process.

a high roof AWD minivan would technically do just about the same deal as the transit connect. Thats just my opinion (as much as I like the connect).

Jeffh555

Observer
Since it's built on a Focus platform, it would be similar to converting a Focus to AWD. I have ignored the fact that AWD isn't 4wd for the sake of this conversation. My opinion is that for what one would use a Tranit Connect for, AWD would get the job done.

Here's an example of the effort needed to make it AWD:

http://passionford.com/forum/restor...h-4x4-ellmer-autosport-update-18-01-08-a.html

On a similar note, I was at a junkyard over the weekend and took a peek under the hood of a Subaru (late 90s N/A car). I'm amazed how compact the drive train is on those things. They could be fun to put in something, maybe something like a Transit Connect.

lqhikers

Adventurer
as a owner/builder of a ford transit (2013) connect "minimalist"
camper to be used for short trips i would see no reason to even
consider trying to covert to 4wd/awd.as said by others it would then not be a transit 4x4
but a study in how to spend money!

i also have had a astro van converted to camper (2wd) and this as have been proving by
other forum members that you can take a awd and convert to a true 4wd and have a proven rig.

just my thoughts, yours may differ!

Les,lqhikers

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford has not imported AWD Focus to North America, but they do sell them in Europe. So you could import a wrecked Euro AWD Focus as parts, and then get converting. This would definitely not be a cheap or quick project, however.

Off topic, I like the notion of using an electric motor to provide AWD at the rear wheels. No transfer case, no drive shafts, no rear diff or axle, just a bigger battery and a fancy traction control computer to manage the electric motor. It's a type of hybrid vehicle. Borg Warner has a project like this called eAWD, in which one electric motor drives both rear wheels.

A different approach is to put two small electric motors in the wheels themselves. Protean Electric makes a system like this for larger vehicles like the F150.

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
I understand it would be an expensive idea. I just wanted to know if it was possible using local parts. Now knowing that it's based on a focus gives me some new ideas to consider. I wonder if an awe version of the focus was sold in Mexico.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I can't answer your question directly, but Quigley has said that it plans to convert Transits to 4WD.
My bad; totally missed the "Connect."

Given the the extent of the engineering would be comparable to the Sprinter conversions with which I'm familiar, I can't see any commercial group being able to get a true 4WD Connect conversion under $20K.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
revival of a dead thread.. why not.. anyways.. here's how I would do a 4x4 connect. (and i think its on the list for the next few years) easiest way, escape awd 4 cylinder transmission, since its all mounted to a subframe, drop said subframe to make things easier. next step modify engine bay and floor to accept a driveshaft. modify subframe. maybe an escape subframe could be used.. dunno. now correct me if I'm wrong, but connects use a live rear axle no? so grab a small truck axle with the same gear ratio, cut off mounts from tag axle weld to new axle. reattach. I would venture to guess this would add 3-5" of lift in the rear. might need to play with the springs to get it down slightly. back to the front. now that you've got your awd subframe ready to go, get / make some subframe / shock spacers like the subaru and astro van folks use to add a small amount of lift up front. or if you want to go really nuts build some long travel coilovers.. but really, you gonna rock crawl your connect? prolly not. now as far as engine performance goes.. I would build a turbo mill with the focus on low end torque, or attempt a tdi conversion, seeing as vw is the only mfgr with a transverse small diesel in the states, but not 100% theres an awd transmission that would bolt up to that. I would say stick to the ztec mill... now someone go build one! lol....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz