Ford Transit Connect 4wd conversion?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
You need to find someone like Dangel; they convert the PSA vehicles for around the €7k to €8k mark; of particular interest to the US market is that they can convert the Peugeot Boxer/Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato van, which is sold in the US as the Ram Pro Master with some different engines...

DAV!D

Adventurer
It's not practical for my needs (too small), but I think along the same lines. I'd love to take one of those transits and make it 4wd. I'll likely never do it, I still have to finish my Syncro 4wd conversion and I just bought a 07 E250 which will be my new full time rig. ( I really want to Cummings/4wd swap it but if that happens it wont be anytime soon)

Now keep in mind, this is me not even looking under the hood of a connect, but I think if you are to do this you might as well go "all" the way real 4wd not some AWD hack set up. IMO the best way to go about this is to gut the van remove the uni-body tub and rebuild the tub so it can sit on either a jeep chassis or a 4wd ford ranger chassis. If you go to that trouble, then might as well swap in a VW TDI turbo diesel.. If I were to build one of these that's the way I'd do it.

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
It's not practical for my needs (too small), but I think along the same lines. I'd love to take one of those transits and make it 4wd. I'll likely never do it, I still have to finish my Syncro 4wd conversion and I just bought a 07 E250 which will be my new full time rig. ( I really want to Cummings/4wd swap it but if that happens it wont be anytime soon)

Now keep in mind, this is me not even looking under the hood of a connect, but I think if you are to do this you might as well go "all" the way real 4wd not some AWD hack set up. IMO the best way to go about this is to gut the van remove the uni-body tub and rebuild the tub so it can sit on either a jeep chassis or a 4wd ford ranger chassis. If you go to that trouble, then might as well swap in a VW TDI turbo diesel.. If I were to build one of these that's the way I'd do it.

See post #5 in this thread... ;)

Rama

...Not to sound crazy, but if they would add some low geared electric hubs to the rear, you can get pretty close to 4wd capability at low speed. Tie into engine OBD2 speedo reading, and power up the rear wheels when you engage the "4wd" button. Heck, some crazy programmer could probably figure out to engage it when DSC kicks on...
Doesn't sound crazy to me. This is more or less the way the new Toyota Rav4 AWD hybrids work. The front wheels are driven by a standard gas/electric hybrid setup, and the rear wheels have their own completely separate electric-only motor that is not connected mechanically to the front in any way. It apparently yields pretty good traction (even though the ground clearance is pretty bad).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94