Winter 2013 M416 Build Thread

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Update! Tent is in!

The trailer is currently getting the lid and tongue extension fabbed.

So this update is just to mark the arrival of our Tepui Kukenam Sky Tent!

Test setup in the garage.

I am really impressed with the tent and the material used. I was afraid this was more of the standard "nylon" material, but the Tepui is made from a very thick, textured material.

Attachments

• 1496497_10152115923724631_1142512856_o.jpg
    1496497_10152115923724631_1142512856_o.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 1521598_10152115923714631_1835007035_n.jpg
    1521598_10152115923714631_1835007035_n.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 76

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Got my tent while the lid was still not attached to the trailer. Almost killed me to have to wait so i strapped the lid down with ratchet straps and set the tent up just to see how it looked.

I feel your pain (or anxiety!!)

Just look at it this way, it is a neverending project so you have plenty of time.

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Yeah even after I get it back, I am going to redo the electrical, new LEDs, and of course prime and paint...so I have a ways to go!

i4get98

So I'm stalking you from the Facebook page. lol. Was wondering your setup with the electrical brakes. What were you planning on setting up for when the trailer is parked and not behind the jeep.
It's my understanding the e-brakes don't have a parking brake option?

Last edited:
Can I ask total costs so far?

------------------------------------------------------
Hardcore Metal Detectors
Multi Line Dealer

PM me on Tapatalk to learn more

Vince1

Adventurer
I know it isn't sexy, but I am going to use chocks when camping and a security boot when parked long term.
That's what I do. However, I originally bought a standard trailer boot but it didn't fit the larger tires I added to match my jeep (35's), so I ended up buying one that is like a Club that goes through the wheel spokes and hooks around the leaf spring.
On the e-brakes, if you have a battery on board, you can wire in an activation switch on the tongue to make it easier to handle when unhooked from your rig. Keeps you from losing it down the hill in those situations.

Any big plans for electronics? I'd highly recommend solar backup, but I see you're in Portland so it may be a waste ; )

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
That's what I do. However, I originally bought a standard trailer boot but it didn't fit the larger tires I added to match my jeep (35's), so I ended up buying one that is like a Club that goes through the wheel spokes and hooks around the leaf spring.
On the e-brakes, if you have a battery on board, you can wire in an activation switch on the tongue to make it easier to handle when unhooked from your rig. Keeps you from losing it down the hill in those situations.

Any big plans for electronics? I'd highly recommend solar backup, but I see you're in Portland so it may be a waste ; )

Great point on the boot...I am running 35s as well so I will need to consider that. Do you have a link to the club thing you bought?

Yeah electronics are on my mind lately. At first, just a battery to power the ARB and charge off the alternator.

Eventually, I'd like to add outlets at the rear and some other goodies. The solar option is not a bad idea, I'd need to look into what is involved. This trailer will spend most of its time outside of Portland anyway :) Places like Moab, Rubicon, etc.

And FWIW, this has been the driest winter in Portland in 30+ years. Beautiful, beautiful winter so far. Bluebird skies almost every day, and today is forecasted for the upper 50s/60s.

I'll take it!

So the trailer was $1100.
I got out a $2500 credit card for the build, and have $1k left. But the money spent to date also includes the coupler ($225) and tires/wheels.

Thanks, it reinforces my decision to purchase over a build. You are doing a great job! Keep it up and good luck

------------------------------------------------------
Hardcore Metal Detectors
Multi Line Dealer

PM me on Tapatalk to learn more

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Thanks everyone. I added a custom rear bumper with receiver hitch and LEDs to the build, hope to see something this week.

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Quick update!

The rear bumper and lid are being fabbed right now. In the pic, the receiver is just tacked in and will be flush to the bumper when done.

Scott

2014-02-21-16.42.28.jpg2014-02-21-16.41.47.jpg

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Hey gang!

Picked the trailer up from the shop today. Here is the final work sheet:

- CJ Tailgate added
- Custom fenders
- Nerf Steps (w/extruded steel)
- Custom Lid w/frame
- 4' tongue extension
- Angle iron rim of tub