Winter 2013 M416 Build Thread

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Hey everyone -

Today I took possession of my 1966 M416 trailer.

My plan for the project is to build a Rubicon-capable trailer to tow behind my 2013 JKUR.

High level plans:
  • Upgraded 3500# axle w/elec brakes
  • Matching JK lug pattern
  • 33x1050 AT tires
  • Custom fab hard steel lid
  • LED lighting upgrade
  • Tailgate
  • Tongue box w/Optima yellow top
  • ARB awning
  • Kukenam Sky RTT
  • Cleanup/paint of frame

I might PM some of you that have designed the hard lids and pick your brain if you don't mind.

Here is the new rig!

Scott1403311_10151948292884631_224785501_o.jpg

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
First step - yesterday I completed all my title applications (the trailer is un-titled), had the VIN inspected, and gave the government $185 for plates and doc fees.

I also met with a local fab shop that is interested in working on this for me. I am going to have them start building the lid and a new frame (for inside the tub). Axle will be ordered this week along with new rubber and wheels.

We'll see if the title gets approved!

SwampfoxSC

Observer
Nice find. May I suggest a Sears Platinium series battery. Instead of the Optima. They are rebadged Odyssey batteries. And are cheaper, better and have a great warranty. I will never go back to Optima. After my experience with my boat. I have been using Odyssey for many years now and love em. When they finally give up. I will replace with the Sear version.

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Alright, so a quick progress report!

Just picked the trailer up from the fab shop.

- New Fenders
- 35" Coopers
- Custom nerf bars w/extruded steel decking
- Jeep CJ tailgate
- New Dexter 3500# axle (configured for SOA)
- New leaf packs
- Angle iron on the frame of the tub

Next week:
- Electric brake install
- Tongue extension
- Lid fab starts

After the holidays, will be Line-X and paint.

1493212_10152051760869631_1272330971_n.jpg2013-12-07 10.56.23.jpg2013-12-07 10.56.32.jpg2013-12-07 10.56.39.jpg

Last edited:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Nice work. I like the new fenders and tailgate. Angle iron will give you nice seal for lid and also support area where tailgate is. Keep the pictures coming! I am always trying to steal new ideas.

Nice work. Angle iron will give you nice seal for lid and also support area where tailgate is. Keep the pictures coming! .

Agreed! The angle iron is great and makes your lid seal up so much better. With the weatherstripping mine reminds me of opening and closing a fridge..lol

eviele

Jealous.
I was hoping to work on my trailer this winter...
-30 degrees tomorrow. Tough to paint in that kind of weather....

Good luck with your project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94