Sankey preservation

DividingCreek

Explorer
very cool plan. I'd love to have one like that. For about a year and a half I had a 110 high cap with an ifor williams top on it. While ugly as hell with that top on it, the truck was incredibly versatile.

Arlo

Adventurer
Might be interesting for your recovering.

I don't like the knuckle joint.

16599898ap.jpg

I guess an other kind of ball joint will do it perfektly! Time will tell.

Here we go:

16599899at.jpg

16599900ff.jpg

16599902ls.jpg

The big forkend matching to the front break leaver needs to be some inner cosmetic to fit the ball joint.
Just set it in tension direction...

16599903em.jpg

... and weld it.

16599904sn.jpg

16599905rb.jpg

Just add a thread for a greasing point.

16599906xt.jpg

After zinc plating this part you will have to remove the additional inner zinc cover. So have a look first to the spinning between outer an inner diameter!
The bushes may be replaced otherwise.

16599907dr.jpg

DividingCreek

Explorer
update

Here's a few of mine set up @ camp last weekend @ Uwharrie Safarigalvanized sankey.jpgGalv sankey 2.jpggalv sankey 3.jpg

Eventually I plan to cut the corner nubs off the rack and have a canvas made with roll up sides to enclose the load space of the trailer. I keep everything in Hardigg cases but it would be nice to keep rain and dust off of everything. Plans also include Line X on the inside of the tub. Also like the looks of defender rear fender flares on a Sankey so may give that a try. The issue being how to attach them without drilling a bunch of holes in the tub. To this point I haven't modified the original trailer aside from the holes to bolt the rack on.
I put the trailer away in a corner of the shop last fall after re-assembling it and hadn't touched it until last Thursday (the day I needed to depart for Uwharrie) so hopefully I can gain some momentum again.

Last edited:

Arlo

Adventurer
That's quite a good looking Sankey!

About the corners and fender flares:

I just added some aluminum brackets to the original corners to carry the flares.
The picture are from the first one. He's sold 2 years ago. No chance to take more details.

18063084fr.jpg

18063085ua.jpg

18063086ga.jpg

18063088iz.jpg

18063089kf.jpg

18063091vg.jpg

Arlo

Adventurer
Just found the first try of the inner and outer bracket.
The flare is going to be clamped between them.
Inner part was bolted to the stand.

18064059rn.jpg

18064060sz.jpg

DividingCreek

Explorer
Arlo,
Those are mud flaps. I'm referring to the wheel arches from a defender. Here's a friends sankey with defender wheel arches.Jstahls sankey.jpg

I just think they completely change the look of the trailer, for the better.

Last edited:

Arlo

Adventurer
I have to apologize for my mistake. :oops:

But you're right, the design will change a little bit.

Arlo

Adventurer
I bought it in 1994 during my first big loop through the beautiful USA in Wyoming.
Every Sankey has a protected convoy light underneeth and a reflection plate installed.
I kept this truck licence plate, so I put both of the two together because it doesn't make sense.
It's not legal here but who cares about it?

Just my high five to the USA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior