half fat bikes

p nut

butter
Not to hijack but has anyone seen these. My local Walmarts are not carrying them. I am really interested in taking a look at one as I see this being a bike I would actually purchase from a place like Walmart. It is as close to a bicycles more pure and simple design and for the money would be really good reliable transportation. Most of us like CoOpski who are really into bikes could put together a nicer and more quality build like his half fatty or even just a basic singlespeed commuter for similar money but a simple one speed commuter with fatty tires is a better option IMO than a flashy dual suspension "rock beater" for the same money.

Never ridden one, but it's safe to make some assumptions. Not being biased from an opinion that Walmart is a horrible corporation, their bikes are junk. From the crap components, to even crappier frame, and crappiest "mechanic" that puts it all together. I would not put my arm, teeth, noggin, life on the line for one of their bikes. I have seen a neighborhood kid's crank arm fall off mid-ride. A friend's fork bent right in half.

There is a reason why the thing costs less than $200. Maybe some have had no issues and are having a great time on it. For me, no thanks. I'd much rather trust my 20 year old Scott, or some cheap used Raleigh/Trek/Spec/etc. $50 craigslist bike than that thing. They would also make better commuters with better gearing, weight, braze-ons, etc.

Please don't take this as being some kind of a bike snob. I have had plenty of low end bikes, and current still have 2 in the garage. I have no issues with solid, low end bikes (such as my Bridgestone MB-4 that was purchased for $50). I just shudder a bit when I imagine someone out riding on one of those dept store time bombs.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I am not a walmart fan by any means- but a buddy of mine bought the bike from one. Its a mongoose brand bike and it came disassembled. He ordered it online and had it shipped to the store for free.

He's already replaced the front hub with a hub motor and added a battery pack to make it "awd" or a 2x2 bike. His plan is to use it beach for beach combing...

Its a very basic bike- coaster hub brake only on rear, no front brake -.so part of why its cheap.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Ok next stage in life, prep for summer and bikepacking.
I've been getting some skookum rides in on the Mushing trails up Winter Creek and the start of the Snowcat road. It was fun biking past a splitboarder working his way up to the cabin for the night. I think he was as surprised to see me as I was to see him. As the lower 48 is in a deep freeze we have had mild temps and the best riding is at night when the trail freezes around 30 degs.
What I have planned is after Flagster reminded me of the Trek 69ers and some call them 96er is to build this one up with a Salsa Fargo fork to put my anything cages on fit the bike with frame bag and seat bag, have easy rolling 29 up front and 26 in the rear. I'm building a 29 inch wheel now, just need to be n the lookout for a Fargo Fork.
I may start a thread on bike packing 69/96er once I get more parts.

p nut

butter
Co-op - If you need a 29er fork, let me know. I have a silver 2012 Raleigh XXIX rigid fork that you can have. It's approximately 490mm A/C length. It doesn't have brazeons like the Fargo fork, but you can easily mount bottle cages with some hose clamps. Steerer tube is around 7". Just pay shipping and it's yours, although I don't know what shipping is up to AK...

squatch

Adventurer
Co opski check out the surly forks too. I am running a krampus fork with all the braze ons on my kona unit. with a rabbit hole knard wheel. half fat. Nice fork kinda cheap.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Co-op - If you need a 29er fork, let me know. I have a silver 2012 Raleigh XXIX rigid fork that you can have. It's approximately 490mm A/C length. It doesn't have brazeons like the Fargo fork, but you can easily mount bottle cages with some hose clamps. Steerer tube is around 7". Just pay shipping and it's yours, although I don't know what shipping is up to AK...

Thanks P-nut I'll let you know, I'm looking locally first, but not very hard.

Co opski check out the surly forks too. I am running a krampus fork with all the braze ons on my kona unit. with a rabbit hole knard wheel. half fat. Nice fork kinda cheap.
good info.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
So since the skiing has been well non-existent I've been playing with the bike getting ready for summer. So far I've put some Middleburn cranks on with a 34 tooth uno chain ring and a 22 tooth endless cog on the back to replace my Shimano stx crank and surly steel cog on my LX snowcat rear wheel. For the summer wheel set I still have the 26" fork with an early cronometro http://cronometro.com/ wheel before cane creek took over that style, but I'm still looking at going the 69er route with a 29” front wheel.
In the back for the summer I have my Surly flip flop hub with a 17 tooth Shimano freewheel and a 20 tooth White Ind freewheel built up with the 2x spoke twist. That darn wheel brings too much attention to my bike [rant] but when your 21 and an old washed up BMX rider sitting around drinking beers with your college roommate that built wheels at Trek for years it sounded like a good idea [/ rant]. I swapped out my big lugged Continental Mud Kings for some smoother rolling Richey Speed Max pros and added a Relavate Jerrycan and feed bag. http://www.revelatedesigns.com/
Still working on the 69er route as well as a frame bag and gas tank bag for some trips. I've got one trip planed biking from Hope to Seward over the Resurrection Pass trail and one trip planned to bike the Denali Road into Kantishna Roadhouse this summer. http://www.kantishnaroadhouse.com/

I just helped my friend that I'll be biking Res Pass with strip his ridged Rock Lobster to get a new coat of paint on it. He may take that bike this summer or his new Pugs for our trip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online