$150 Suspension Compressor?

mr dw

Yesterday I had the dealership send me all the records on the vehicle I just purchased (2005 LR3). Turns out the EAS compressor has been changed FIVE TIMES and I think it is going out again. Needless to say I've been doing some research on compressors. Came across a very interesting thread when I was google searching the new AMK compressor...

http://www.luxury4play.com/land-rover/46828-design-flaw-air-compressor-noise-lr3-lr4-rrs.html

Thoughts? Worth a try don't you think. Disco 3/4 owners have been suffering at the hands of the ridiculous dealership prices and low quality long enough.

Eniam17

Adventurer
how many miles are on your LR3? 5 times in 6 - 7 years leads me to believe there is more to the story or other issues than just a bad compressor. A lot of people have had 1 compressor for 6 or 7 years/100k miles.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I suppose its worth a try I'm just concerned you're covering up another issue given all the compressors the vehicle has been through. Did the dealer address that at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr dw

The truck had an impeccable service record. Every single oil change and scheduled maint was documented in the owner's manual and dealer stamped. I still need to take it to my dealer and discuss the issue. I do know it has never been fitted with the new/better AMK compressor.

But really, this thread is not about my truck, its about the possibility of sourcing a better and less expensive compressor option for those who would otherwise have to shell out $1200-$1400 at the LR dealership.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
We sell them for around $600 at our shop. With the stronger US$, maybe we should start selling them into the USA. :)
The new improved one is much better.

KyleT

Explorer
Iirc if it is eating compressors, the exhaust on the valve block is messed up. But it has been a while since I workd on one. I'll ask around....

Eniam17

Adventurer
Iirc if it is eating compressors, the exhaust on the valve block is messed up. But it has been a while since I workd on one. I'll ask around....

this is what i was trying to get at. you shouldn't be going through compressors like this. and I doubt buying a 150 dollar compressor from Ford is going to solve the problem.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Last year Land Rover discontinued the relationship with the original OEM supplier of these compressors (due to the failure rate). They recently switched to a new manufacturer and they fit somewhat different (hang a little lower, but have a skid plate on them. I believe the new manufacturer is Hitachi. (not 100% sure on that). I recently had my pump switched. The new one is much quicker and once inflated never runs much again. (unlike the old that came on, ran long times and seemed to have to keep running over and over again at times).

mr dw

Thanks for all the replies. I posted up the same question on several forums and this is the only LR forum where I have received any help! Guess Ive found my home =)
The old compressor was Hitachi. The new one (revised in 2012) is AMK. It is German and is supposedly much better, but IMO its too early to tell. I do not have the AMK compressor so maybe I should drop one of those in and see how it goes. Also, I will check out the exhaust valve block.

thanks!

A.J.M

Explorer
The AMK one is a better design, lots of us UK guys swap over to the AMK once the original one goes pop.

There is a software update needed to get it to work properly with the rest of the car, but it's worth doing.

However, your car suffering SO many failures is not from a bad design of compressor, there is a underlying issue that is causing them to fail. Fix that before you launch another compressor into the bin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior