M101A2 Leaf Spring restoration

Pccruiser

Observer
Quick question: should I do anything special to the leaf springs outside of cleaning them up and painting them?

Should I take them apart and oil then up to?

It's an early 90s model. I can get pics if need be.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
They're pretty indestructable...I just bombed them(mine) with PB Blaster, wiped clean, and hit them a coat of paint and called it a day

RagnarD

Adventurer
I didn't mess with mine. They have a nice coat of self lubricating mud on them now.

i-9prQkMR-L.jpg

shogun

Adventurer
You could add some plastic in between the leaves to help them slide better, look at Terriann's website for details.

I strongly recommend going to a spring shop and getting an extra leaf for them. One of the biggest errors with these trailers is bulk vs gross. They are rated at 1500lb but given the size, most folks overgross them (as have I). They will handle it but you must be very gentle with it. Adding an extra leaf will provide some more margin for safety/damage.

TRACTION

Adventurer
I separated the leafs, wire brushed, painted, and reassembled. I asked a local spring shop whether I should re-grease the leaves before assembly and they recommended I not. They said it just attracts dirt and wears harder that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online