optimal traction when pulling a trailer

madmax718

Explorer
What tongue weight do you estimate you have when your truck is at an incline? the M101 is severely center balanced in my opinion. It doesn't put a whole load of tongue weight.

someday

Adventurer
Have you pressed the gravel or did you press it when you had it laid? All the above suggestions are great, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet. It sounds like your issue isn't your truck setup but the road - and since you own the road, I'd suggest having a contractor w/a steamroller come and press your gravel. It will help A LOT with traction (well, unless you get a lot of snow/ice in which case it will hurt your traction in the winter). Speed and bouncing and 4LO never are good in the long run unless you like breaking things :)

Also, there are other options - you can self-apply asphalt filler that will help hold the rocks together, or you can get a trailer full of dirt and spread that out over the rocks and water it down (helps act like a sort of cement). Honestly, if you use the road regularly, I'd focus more on the road than the driving technique - not a lot you can do if the road sucks :)

I'm glad you mentioned the driveway itself. I have NOT had it pressed yet. I was wondering if it will settle. Long story short, I got shut off from my old access road/point and had to have this one put in. The excavator put down BIG gravel (number 3 sound right?) and said he could fill it in with smaller stuff if I wanted. Which I will probably have him do that next winter. The road is used 3-4 times a week in the summer, and 3-4 weekends a month in the spring and fall. I use the property for camping (with a little teardrop) and firewood splitting and storage, so traction in the winter is not a huge issue.

Madmax - I only used the trailer once, and am thinking the tongue weight wasn't more than 150-200 lbs. It didn't even make my truck sag.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94