FlipPac meets Unimog project

burquedoka

Adventurer
After scoring a FlipPac for a full size pickup off Crags List locally here in Albuquerque for $300, I was determined to make it work on my Unimog. The length is good, but the width is much narrower than the Mog bed and the Mog bed has drop sides. So the decision was made to build a slide in unit that the camper was to be permanently joined to. I ended up building it out of 2x4 lumber and skinning it with aluminum to seal the weather out. So far the box is built, the aluminum skin is on and the shell is temporarily clamped on and the brainstorming begins how to do the rear end of the camper. I believe the flip up glass will go away, since it is ten feet of the ground when open, and a narrower fold down door will replace it that when folded down, it will have built in steps to get up into the camper. Next, the interior build out........

More pics to follow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 124

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
OMG! I love Flippacs AND Unimogs! You are going to have a dream machine! I think you're right about the rear glass. Plus I don't know how you'll secure the lid open, unlatch the latches or get in it! I see ladders and a staircase in your future! The flip down door/stair idea sounds like a great solution. I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Last edited:

burquedoka

Adventurer
Still haven't started the interior, but some progress is happening with the exterior in an effort to get her ready to drive out to the Expo next week. Currently working on a brush cage/ Foxwing awning mount and spare tire carrier. Who here will be at the expo?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

burquedoka

Adventurer
More...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg