exhaust brake problems

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
Turtle
youll have to excuse Owen he's getting old and his eyes don't work that well anymore :wings:

Ive got the 649 manual tell me what sections you want and pm me with your personal e mail and ill sendl them to you
I would post them here but im not that clever

Thanks for the offer BlackDuck. I have just ordered a cd so will wait for a few days and attack it.

Cheers.

Barrabindi

Observer
Hi Turtle59
Im interested to know how you resolved your exhaust brake problem... I have the reverse problem with my fg84. Dash light is on, fuse looks ok but no brake
Thanx

Andelles

Observer
Hi Turtle59
Im interested to know how you resolved your exhaust brake problem... I have the reverse problem with my fg84. Dash light is on, fuse looks ok but no brake
Thanx

I'm interested in your resolve to.....I to have a fg84 the problem is the exhaust brake stays on intermittly then it goes into limp mode Mitsubishi have no clue

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
Gidday blokes

Sorry it has been a while since I posted this issue and since then my life has been thrown into a tail spin.

I have been to 3 auto electricians who had limited ideas and even less clues then I got sent to see a friend of a guy I work with and he had many clues and even more ideas. He is of the belief the problem is in the switch under the steering wheel that also controls the indicators and wipers etc. I think he called it a combination cluster or some such thing.

But as I said due to the tail spin I have not had a chance to pursue another switch. If you happen to know where I can get one for a fair price I would be interested... Then it might prompt me to do something about it.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I'd be bridging that switch on the column first to confirm that this is the source of the problem before committing to buying a new one.
Just my 2c worth...

1Engine

Observer
Just if it is manual, there is a switch on the clutch pedal to disengage the brake when the pedal is depressed & also a neutral switch to disengage the brake when the gear lever is in neutral

canter tourer

Adventurer
Not sure if it helps, but on mine which is a fair bit older, 96 FG637, when I got it the exhaust brake did not work, but light came on etc when you moved the lever. Turned out the brake was seized closed, not so good for the performance, or what I thought was an exhaust leak, but turned out to be an overheated cracked exhaust manifold, so one new exhaust manifold and exhaust brake fitted and all good.

Occasionally it still doesn't work and had me scratching my head, but turned out to be simple, the spring on the accelerator pedal was not allowing the pedal to return fully to it's non pressed state, preventing the micro-switch from activating it, just needed to give the pedal a pull up with my foot and the brake would work again:).

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
Here goes for digging up an old thread...

I have had my truck at an auto electrician for the day to try to work out what is actually wrong with my exhaust brake. His conclusion is that the issue is in the ECU. His suggestion is either get another ECU or get this one repaired.

What says the brains trust. Repair or replace. (Probably from the wreckers I guess.)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It seems very strange to me that if the ECU was faulty that the only issue you would have is the exhaust brake.
I have no idea how your auto electrician came to that conclusion, but if I were fault finding this issue I would follow the circuit diagram, isolating OEM wiring sections, working backwards from the exhaust brake.
Blaming the ECU seems like a bit of a stretch.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Blaming the ECU seems like a bit of a stretch.

That was my thought as well. All things are possible, but most of the time it comes down to a mechanical failure not the computer, unless there is obvious environmental damage like water ingress.

HazMan

Observer
I have a 2001 Fg and have the same issues with mine.

I tried plumbing up the exhaust break to the vacuum tank, bypassing the whole electrical side and it still didn't work.

I guessed that maybe the diaphragm is stuffed or butterfly valve seized.

I can move the butterfly valve myself so that's not it.....

I've given up at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles