exhaust brake problems

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
Ok, lets look at what the electrician had done. He reported to me that he had isolated all of the components on the wiring diagram. (I had provided this to him so that he had the right one.) According to him they all tested to be working fine. He then started to probe the wires as they entered and left the ECU. What he found was that the wires had the same readings regardless of what he did.
With the fuse in place the exhaust brake is on all the time with no lights on the dash. Without the fuse in place the truck runs fine, but no exhaust brake facility.
His assumption is that there is something wrong in the ECU that is not switching the power off and on as the various switches etc are activated and deactivated.
Your thoughts gentleman???

Decanter

Adventurer
Have you checked your grounds? I had a diagnosis one time that suggested to replace the ECM due to the wiring testing fine and ECM not giving the proper readings back - it was an 02 sensor code. I took it somewhere else who checked ALL the grounds and found one which sat under the ECM to be faulty. Problem solved. This was not on a Fuso though

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
I have a query. I hope someone may be able to help me with my thinking.

Just recently I had the opportunity to travel in a Rosa bus. It went exceptionally well for what it was and loaded how it was.

My query is this... What would be involved in adapting a Rosa ECU into a Canter and would there be any advantages in this sort of swap?

Just thinking out loud really. I was impressed with the Rosa's performance.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I cannot speak specifically to the Rosa ECU, but it would be the same actual box with possibly a different engine map.
The problem is that sometimes the ECU is coded to specific sensors, so you would need the ability to reprogram those settings in the ECU. The FE Canter 4.5 also has more horsepower/torque than the FG, so that would be another ECU option.
When I have asked about this type of conversion at my local dealer it all seemed to be above their skill level and they were not what I would call helpful at all. Maybe the guys at Zupps can be more helpful, but they are the ones you would probably need to talk with before going down that route.

Turtle59

Intrepid Wanderer
Finally Fixed

G'day blokes and blokettes,

Well a long time in the making here, but I have finally fixed the exhaust brake problem I have had.

The fix was... another computer. Turns out the combinations of dry joints and a leaky capacitor or some such jargon.

Anyway... all fixed.

By the way... I was quoted $5600.00 ex Japan for a new computer. I purchased a secondhand one from the wreckers for $1100.00 with the previso that I could return it if it proved the issue was not the computer.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If there is one specific thing I do not like about the Fuso it would be the price of OEM spare parts.
On average, they are at least twice the price of equivalent Isuzu parts. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

unkamonkey

Explorer
Ouch. Fortunately , mine works fine. I had to replace an exhaust manifold several years ago and the price for the part was fair. I remember they told me it was the first one they had ever had to order. Not too sure how I cracked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne