LET'S PLAY WHAT IS IT & WHATS IT WORTH?

SwampfoxSC

Observer
Found this up the road. It originally came from Arizona. So its fairly rust free. Except for two small holes. And the floor has some pretty good surface rust. There are no dents other than the floor. It is wavy around the cross struts. Where it looks like firewood or rocks got tossed in. But the floor is still very solid. The tub needs a blast and about 30 minutes worth of welding. Then it could be painted and bedlined inside. Its titled as a homemade. Which obviously its not. It appears to me like a early 60s late 50s civilian Bantam or something maybe. Or is it just a good solid M416? It has no badges or ID numbers on it anywhere. Despite what appears to be original greyish paint. There is no parking brake. It does have two spring loaded drain holes in opposing corners. There are six small holes on the upper right rear. That looks like some kind of badge was there. The guy said the wheels are original on it. I seriously doubt they are factory. Since they are two different colors. It has a 2" tongue welded on it. That does not appear original. It seems like a pretty good start. But he is asking a good bit. I would have to put tires on it right away also. This would be my first trailer. So I am kind of a newbie to these. What would you guys pay for this? And is it collectible or rare enough? That I shouldn't mess with it much? I was planning on doing a tailgate mod at some point. And putting a lid on it. What say you?

Last edited:

E Dr. P

Observer
That's a modified m416. The dataplate is supposed to be at the back right. The wheels are not original, looks like the axle isn't either, the shocks are factory. Looks like an earlier one with the extra mounting tabs on the tub and no crossmember over the axle.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
i saw one more rusted out than that, missing fenders, sell for over 600 on Ebay. There's a worse example on ebay right now (link here) that has a starting bid of 500, although no one has bid on it.

Hope this helps.

SwampfoxSC

Observer
That's what I thought. He wouldn't budge below $900. So I walked on it. But I have seen guys pay $1200 for these. So I wasn't sure. I offered $800. But he seemed to think he can get $1600 in AZ. With some paint and tires. I found another already. Gonna pick it up after work. Stay tuned for pics and build.:)

FandL

JK ADDICTION
If you have desided on an M416 then keep watching eBay, Craigslist, etc. you may have to make a bit of a road trip for a better buy, but it will be worth it. Before I picked up my M101, I missed out on an M416 that was in pristine condition for $500. I didn't want to make the drive from Pittsburg PA to Richmond VA. It turned out that the M416 was too small for my needs and I'm glad I have the M101.

But I could have easily flipped that M416 and made some money toward my build.

Are you still considering the M101 you told me about on my build page?

luk4mud

Explorer
Hard to put a value on it without seeing it in person and how much work it needs or not. In my mind the expensive stuff are the things I cant do my self. Parts are easy to buy and replace. Welding in new floors etc would make it cost prohibitive for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier