Considering a Trailer Build - Questions

cs0430

Have a few questions before I commit to building myself a trailer. Please feel free to share all opinions/ideas.

1. I have access to a 120v flux core welder. Can you get good enough penetration with that welder to make a 2x3 trailer frame structurally sound? I don't want this thing breaking going 70 down a highway.

2. Anyone see a problem with using grade 8's and nyloc's to secure my trailer box to the frame? Idea being if I want to change something down the road or I screw up on the box I can always remove it and re-do/fix it.

3. Biggest one - I really have no real welding or fabrication experience to speak of. I've done a few small projects (receiver mounted clay pigeon thrower, misc welding on cars and motorcycles) but nothing like this. I do have a friend who I can rely on for some welding and fab help. He's no pro, but he does good work and has done quite a few garage fab jobs. If it comes down to it, I know the owner of a local off-road fab shop who I would guess would charge me ~$60/hr for welding. Am I in way over my head attempting a project like this?

A run-down of my trailer idea: 2"x3" frame with a simple box on top and exterior provisions to mount a 5lb propane and jerry cans. Small box in front for storage and maybe down the road a battery or water tank. I would like 4 sleeved posts to support my RTT. These would sit low to reduce drag when driving and can lift up so I can use the annex on my tent if I wish. A slide out camp kitchen would take up half of the inside of the box and the other would have drawers or some other sort of organized storage system.

Attached is a simple sketch up model of what I would like it to look like.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 27

luk4mud

Explorer
I would not attempt to build an offroad trailer with that welder. But then again, my wife would not allow me to build an offroad trailer with any welder ....

For the cost of the metal and supplies involved, consider buying a good used M416 or similar and build from there.

sk8rjess

I'm using the same welder.. you'll be fine with it. I've used the welder on all my projects, just gotta know how to use it. For my trailer i'm pre-heating up the metal beforehand though with a torch just to make sure i'm getting good welds.
this was the other day. also this isn't flux... flux will be a little hotter.

20131102_181228.jpg

dcr

I'm no fabricator by any means.. But I've seen tons of tube buggies and rock crawlers running around for years built with a 120v welder. I wouldn't be afraid of it for a trailer. I think most of the 110/120 welders say 3/16" with flux core and single pass 1/4" with multi pass? As for grade 8s and nylocs. Absolutely. I bet you will find lighter bolts than that holding the body on your vehicle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sk8rjess

man if you have it, try it. get some scrap metal and weld on it. see how good it penetrates and all that good stuff.

almost all the welding on my rig has been done with my welder and has held up fine. won't know till you try!

slightly off topic but there's hours and hours of welding put into my junk. i've had people hit me, slid into rocks and trees, and all that fun stuff and no weld have gave at all.

1426510_10202667413625915_1882352595_n.jpg

1381752_10202598165254749_1055899283_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94