Need Header advice '90 Burb.

bowstryder

Observer
Okay, so I have a 1990 v1500 that's getting the full one ton and build treatment. Eventually I would like to go either 8100 or cummins, however, the burb came with a very low mile 290hp gmpp crate engine that will stay till she blows. All that being said, I have throw a few upgrades at it but need some header advice. As it sits, it's running the factory exhaust manifolds which are hindering flow and efficiency. I want ceramic coated, and a torque boost style. NO JUNK, BUT, not dropping 7 hundo on the super high end side either. Any help and suggestions would be great.

bowstryder

Observer
WAR, Thanks for the heads up. I was just looking at those specifically, however, there were a lot of complaints about fitment and shackle rubbing. Sooooooooooo I think I am going to try a set of the 69830's they are listed for up to an 81 but they fit my application "GREAT" according some other folks that had the fitment issues with the 69890's. Probably wouldn't have thought any more of it unless you said something which led to an answer. Thanks!
hope you engine issues arent serious!

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
You might head over to ck5. As long as your not needing to look at pics( that a $25 privilege) most I know recommend the headman elite ceramic coated. At 290 hp I don't think the stock manifolds will restrict much. The cat going bye bye will make a huge difference......for free.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The best header advice I could offer it to stay away from headers all together. The hassles of chasing constant exhaust leaks and overheated starter motors is not worth the little power that headers deliver. I run manifolds on everything including the my old ’78 K10 infused with a late model 8.1L.

Like Mike said, if you live in a non-emissions area, replace the cat with a “test” pipe. You would be surprised the power you will gain by pruning away the old restrictive pellet type cats.

Here is the “test” pipe I am “testing” on my ‘89 Polar Bear Burb. So far the test is going great! It was a very noticeable difference between having a cat and a test pipe. Runs much better!
8302714198_c3765f5ed6_c.jpg

The best header advice I could offer it to stay away from headers all together. The hassles of chasing constant exhaust leaks and overheated starter motors is not worth the little power that headers deliver. I run manifolds on everything including the my old '78 K10 infused with a late model 8.1L.

Like Mike said, if you live in a non-emissions area, replace the cat with a “test” pipe. You would be surprised the power you will gain by pruning away the old restrictive pellet type cats.

Here is the “test” pipe I am “testing” on my ‘89 Polar Bear Burb. So far the test is going great! It was a very noticeable difference between having a cat and a test pipe. Runs much better!
8302714198_c3765f5ed6_c.jpg

I agree with larry 100%. spend your money toward the axle swap or on gears or lockers. Also for the best TQ your gonna want to aviod true dueals. If you must have duals incorperate an x or x pipe.

cyclic

Adventurer
New tech is amazing, just get a new high flow cat. I'd go with a 3 inch. The three biggest things you need for a great exhaust on that rig....................
1) quality mandrel bent y pipe
2) good flowing cat
3) mandrel bent tail pipe
obviously get the muffler of your choice, I'd do something like a magnaflo or something similar in 3 inch also. Unless you like it really loud, stay away from the flowmaster 40. Any quality 3 inch muffler will do you nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior