37 on stock quigley

flightcancled

Explorer
That is totally weird! Also explains why I didn't see it today.

I stopped at the fire truck repair place and asked about it. They gave me a number for an ambo shop on the island I am going to call tomorrow.

I am so glad I am not the only person. At least that means its a somewhat common thing and someone will know the solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Just want to see if anyone knows where I can find a good CHEAP!! Mini-mod ambulance box.
My ambulance project is on hold till I can find something.
I saw a 93 idi min-mod on eBay for 1k but it was in KS. A bit too far for me.
Well if anyone comes across anything please let me know.
The current idi ambulance I have only has 71k miles and just runs too good to separate at this point.

I did,however, have to jump start it last week when it was cold.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390147439.549630.jpg

r_w

Adventurer
May have to run standard rims in back or do some kind of spacer. Not sure how comfortable i would be running a spacer on such a heavy vehicle. I think that the ujoint kit uses a spacer on the rear. I would be interested in hearing more about people's experience with that. I definitely trust chris and his judgement on that. He seems to have done right by many people on this forum. I still have time to figure that out.

Single best thing I did to change handling, completely different vehicle on-road. I bought the STEEL adapters from Fred. http://www.wheeladapter.com/

I haven't pushed them hard, but they are NOT the weak link in the rear end.

cjken

Explorer
Thanks so much rw!!!

That was very useful information.
My other option is to get 2 - h1 rims re-centered for the rear.
I think that tony with the ambovan has spacers on his rear. If they hold up to that beast they should be no problem on mine!! I just have to measure and figure out what thickness I will need.
I'm hoping that I will not have to cut down the original wheel studs.

cjken

Explorer
Haha.
Not 100% sure, but through some very imprecise measurements and eyeballing I think it will work. Since the mini-mod style box does not have very deep wheel wells, I do think I will need to space the wheels out about 3" on each side.
It is lifted about 4" by quigley so the full diameter of the tire should never stuff up in the wheel well.
Worst case I guess we trim the box out a bit and get some fender flairs.

I plan to get the fox shock kit from bajasportsmobile which apparently lifts the front about 1.5"
Cowboy4x4 spoke highly of that setup.

Maybe then I can get some 6" rear springs from chris. I want a ball park weight before I start thinking about that.

I do need to get something on the back. It's becoming inconvenient not having use of the back.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390419052.179786.jpg

flightcancled

Explorer
Well part of the reason that I asked is because I think it's worth pointing out that it would be a lot easier on the build, ride quality, etc to chop the wheel wells and make them taller on the inside than to lift the truck or put spacers under the box to clear them. -What were you really going to do with that space anyway you know?

Food for thought.

cjken

Explorer
Flightcancled.
Yes I agree completely. I may not have to do any cutting/reworking of the wheel wells, but that would be my preferred route.
I plan to keep it as low as possible while still fitting the tires.

BTW. You are making great progress in your project. It is so cold in the NE. I'm impressed that you are being so productive. I'm sure that I will be stealing dome ideas from your thread once I get a box mounted!!!👍.

flightcancled

Explorer
Thanks!

I finally took night to myself last night. There was no way I was working in -3 before windchill.

Let me know if you will be up by Albany. You are welcome to have a look.

cjken

Explorer
I'll definitely be up in warrensburg some time this spring.
Also, My one brother in law lives in Waterford. Another in the Latham area. I'll let you know when I may be up that way.

cjken

Explorer
AMBO #3

The "Good Earth Revival" ambulance now sits in my driveway.
Mike had a spare when he changed the direction of his build. Black/Blue van which is getting finished by Chris in NC right now.
Mike is a great guy and worked out a deal that made it reasonable for me to buy his mini-mod ambulance for the box.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393334810.276800.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Working on sorting out the wiring before separating the box.
My goal is to keep the flood lights and all essential circuits. Then repurpose others for things such as onboard air, lighting, water, and possibly an diesel fired heater of some sort.
Probably don't really need the heater, but it has been such a cold winter so it is currently on my mind.

flightcancled

Explorer
Score! How far are you tearing the box down? Are you taking it down to the box?

Edit:

Also offer still stands if you need help -although doing it in the warm weather with some surf would be ideal! Also let us know if there are parts you don't need that could be useful.

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
The previous owner tore down the right side of the box but left the left did mostly intact.
I plan to keep it simple in back with some kind of bed/ platform that can fold down from the wall for camping, but can fold up for the versatility of carrying things in the back.

I do plan to have a roof rack, but want the room to throw windsurf/kitesurfing gear in the back during cold stormy weather. Climbing up to put boards on the roof when it is blowing 30+ is just not that practical.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393391591.035760.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94