37 on stock quigley

FDM2012

Adventurer
I like the idea, but at $425 each, not sure I can justify that.

I did body work many moons ago, so I will give it a shot. I have a buddy with a body shop, as well.
Plus, it seems like bed liner is also very forgiving!

cjken

Explorer
Not much to report.
Did a few things this summer:

New steering box
524bf69fdb8ed2a8b4010cdf5877b991.jpg

New ujoints and ball joints
e8a49cf8b04a4287f1ab5f1efc0c3769.jpg

797c6a93041dbfbfd1a8ba633a6b60bd.jpg

Had a steering problem that turned out to be seized ujoint on drivers side.

Decided to rip out cabinets behind passenger seat. This led to delete of rear ac unit. It worked but was mostly ineffective.
Also eliminated some unnecessary wiring.

82cc632a3a16bad418786a1bcfde3515.jpg

1bd3fbdda2955c5349d4783d3100e686.jpg

5e70d73982c013cf2d79adf0348c8d23.jpg

5295f0ca4cd141cc86d5d43341e147d0.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Also getting ready to cut my black ambo up to make a trailer. Similar to Pat's except mine will be more of a utility trailer
I plan to clear out interior completely.
173725c74281a4d228962ec5a9fcd694.jpg

e4b22c056013506896a02cb8dc39cbd2.jpg

f2279115f5f2b894d547a39a5d35801f.jpg

995b600c8b477bea9b7a83bb083a89c7.jpg

a119f4b9d6411cd81abc4ba7d0cf7aa6.jpg

7802f8870b43281bc1b9d049fc530cfa.jpg

The interior is pretty nice, but I think it makes sense to get rid of the unnecessary weight.

I'll have a solid low mile IDI 7.3 and c6 tranny available once done if anyone is looking.
(I've got a high mile 7.3 PSD and e4od as well.
Once cut I'll list additional available parts.

tmo2460

Observer
Also getting ready to cut my black ambo up to make a trailer. Similar to Pat's except mine will be more of a utility trailer
I plan to clear out interior completely.

The interior is pretty nice, but I think it makes sense to get rid of the unnecessary weight.

I'll have a solid low mile IDI 7.3 and c6 tranny available once done if anyone is looking.
(I've got a high mile 7.3 PSD and e4od as well.
Once cut I'll list additional available parts.

That interior looks familiar! I'd be all over your spare parts except that I going to be removing my interior soon (hopefully) to do a more complete RV/Full-timing build out.

cjken

Explorer
I just looked at your pics
Yes very similar.
The other box I have has the spare tire compartment and wider door on the drivers side which I do find convenient, but the Horton interior seems more solidly built than other one.

Your project is looking great. BTW
I was originally going to do a 4x4 conversion, but found the quigley setup already done so went that route.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Are you planing to sell the long grab bar off the roof? I'd like to get my hands on a 60" bar with a support in the middle if cost isn't prohibitive after shipping. Also wouldn't mind getting a mic for the siren module.

cjken

Explorer
Are you planing to sell the long grab bar off the roof? I'd like to get my hands on a 60" bar with a support in the middle if cost isn't prohibitive after shipping. Also wouldn't mind getting a mic for the siren module.

It will be awhile before I get to disassemble the interior.
Will keep you posted.

flightcancled

Explorer
That interior is so nice though! Probably a bit crammed with the 3 pups. What is going back in?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
That interior is so nice though! Probably a bit crammed with the 3 pups. What is going back in?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yea it is near perfect. Everything works.
I'm leaving it alone short term, but want more of a open utility trailer eventually.
Still plan to camp/sleep in the main unit.

Abitibi

Explorer
So why the new steering box? My steering becomes a workout if the van isn't moving. I changed my pump, no change. Curious if changing the box would help. Last option would be a Ram but I'd rather keep it simple if possible... Anyway, nice to see your old girl getting all the love! :)

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Doesn't sound right that the steering is so hard. Mine is actually fairly light even when not moving.

I would not rush into the ram until you at sure your current steering is functioning optimally.

Maybe detach tie rod from Pittman arm and see if there is any binding.

I changed due to s weird intermittent steering problem. Once I pulled tierods I discovered it was a u-joint on drivers side binding. Even in 2wd sometimes it would rotate into binding position. In one direction it was fine 90 degree from that you could barely steer.
I already had the box so I changed it.
I also did ball joints since I had the axles out and they were accessible. Glad I did. I could not feel it driving but they were near their end or service.

Next I want to get new bushings for the control arms, sway bar and tracbar.

Working on wiring up trailer brake controller today.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You interested in getting rid of the wiring you're pulling out? And if/when you get around to yanking that engine give me a shout.

cjken

Explorer
You interested in getting rid of the wiring you're pulling out? And if/when you get around to yanking that engine give me a shout.

Will do
May be awhile before all wiring comes out. Not sure we are going to have the time to extract methodically from cab.
Engine should be available sooner.

I'm heading into my busy season. So this project may stall a bit.

I recently pulled a lot of unnecessary wiring from other truck. Hated to eliminate possible connection capabilities down the road, but I needed the space. All the functions I currently need work. Although I lost my horn somehow.

Abitibi

Explorer
I wouldn't worry to much. I practically pulled everything out except for the obvious (brake/signal/reverse lights...). I did reuse a lot of the wiring I pulled out to connect new systems, saved me some cash :) At the end I realized it's a lot easier starting from scratch!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Towed old outback upstate with newly wired brake controller.
Worked well. Didn't get much worse mileage towing.
dbb12106fe90d98edb7bcdb84e5b5e2d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94