Ford Excursion or Other Newer SUV engin swaps

now101

I currently have a 2010 Nissan Titan crew cab 4x4 (stock) with factory 20 inch rims and off-road Wranglers LT275/65R20 tires, which makes for a nice look and handling in dirt with a lot of power. But, I was looking for a 70s / 80s SUV to billed up for the family to take on road trips / camping off the beaten path or even for zombie apocalypse (hay you never know), but they are harder and harder to find in decent shape for a low price. I would rather spend the money on upgrades vs fixing rust spots and the older vehicles are easier to work on when you are hours away from civilization, even out-off cell phone signal area. I did buy a 2004 Ford Excursion from the local police department last year but they removed the key mechanism and to replace it and have the keys and the computer reprogramed would have cost me way to much money( new keys, new tumbler sensor, reprograming the keys, tumbler programing to the computer and the computer it self, which only the dealers seem to be able to do, so I would need to tow it there, $$$$) I was just chasing electrical issues which were all expansive so I sold the Excursion.

So you ask, what's your question? I would like to know if I could have done the following with the Excursion? a engine swap and/or eliminated all the standard factory vehicle computer and sensors and converted it to a vehicle that has just the standard speedometer / oil / water / amps / fuel / etc. gauges. I would like to have some of the comfort of a newer SUV but reliability of an older technology. I learned from the Excursion that there is many small items that can disable a newer computerized vehicle where older ones depend on few major items such as oil/water/charging and you can still limp home if something goes wrong.

You information and experiences would be appreciated.

IMG_2057.jpgIMG_8141.jpg

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
To answer your question- anything CAN be done, just a matter of $$. The first issue will be one of emissions. It is not permitted legally to go backwards with an engine swap- appropriate or newer engine with all emissions pertinent. Federal issue...

I have a similar dilemma: '00 built Excursion, 115k miles, no rust, great truck. I also found & bought a '87 63k mile 2500 4x4 Suburban from Ca and garaged- orig uncracked dash and shiney paint!!

Which to keep?? The 'burb is very nice but a little short on power, 350 TB. The X is strong, and obviously a bit newer translating into nicer interior, brakes, etc. The 'burb can be worked on with a hammer and pliers- the X needs a scanner, but still very straight forward platform.

Still debating, but hope the emissions issue helps you decide- never know, I will be selling one or the other soon ;-)
Good luck deciding, enjoy the build, and welcome aboard Portal!!

JohnsD90

I'm not sure what "reliability" you speak of in old trucks, they all have their issues, i think the best you can find is an early mechanical direct injection diesel motor with a manual transmission, but i don't know of many SUV's sold here with that combo. An old carb'd V8 automatic isn't my personal ideal of a reliable SUV. I really like my 99 Toyota 4Runner, its got 230k on it with a 5 speed and that motor has never skipped a beat, never left me stranded, always made it through bad winters, i've taken my old 97 off road and it performed well, so i would certianly reccomend a 96-02 4runner as a reliable comfortable capable SUV, i dont think it is the best at anything it does, but i think all things considered it is the best SUV you can buy.

bjm206

Adventurer
Wiring around the control modules on an Excursion would be involved. The number of systems (even basic ones) that interact with the modules is large. The wiring diagrams are a 150 page supplement to the service manual. After modifications only you would know how it works (which could be a good thing) and as Rovertrader said if you live in a part of the country that inspects vehicle emissions systems you would have a problem.

Can it be done? Yes, but it would be a lot of work.

Many folks do 12V Cummins swaps because of their reliability/simplicity. This swap can be made to work well with most of the OEM modules but once again it will not work if you live in an area that does emissions inspections.

now101

What I am referring to as far as reliability is when your way out somewhere in middle of nowhere and things just happen, for example, what if you drive of the road and hit a tree? Nothing bad, but just enough to deploy the airbags, well the computer on many vehicles disengage the fuel pump and some disengage the ignition to prevent fire and so on. Maybe you go through a mud hole, its deeper then you thought and shorts out some modules because the wires connecting them are striped without your knowledge. In other words you don't know what could happen. The more something is complicated the easier it is to fail. Now I am not talking about converting something to 1970s technology but just simplifying the operating system which would decrease the chances of breakdowns in a newer model that's much more comfortable. If because of the emission laws simplifying a newer model cant be accomplished then maybe my thinking should be changed to a 70s/80s Suburban and upgrading the internals for comfort while keeping under-hood and driveline simplified.

8-Lug

I don't know how much of that build I posted that you read, but the guy doing it does diesel conversions in Iowa.
If you have deep pockets, this guy may build whatever you want, also.

http://www.megax2.com/our-rides/

I saw an article on one of this company's builds (I think in 'Diesel Tech' magazine out now) and they built a 6dr Excursion using an early model with a later longbed Ford truck chassis. In the article, the builder said the electronics took an extra 100hrs because the years didn't match up.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
As I recall, EPA/DOT regulations regarding engine swaps require that the new engine be the same model year or newer than the chassis. Depending on where you live this might be an uh huh, or stop the project dead, as you couldn't pass the states vehicle emissions test.

Jim

evilfij

Explorer
Fummins (ie a 5.9 cummins in a ford super duty) are pretty popular, but emissions is the issue as Dale says.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
How much $ to just fix the Ex and not swap engines? That's what I would have done. Maybe rebuilt the 6.8L V10 or swapped in a reman'd long block. I don't think all the electric gizmos really hurt the Excusion, much. It's from a time before the massive EPA nonsense and PIDs.
-
Putting in a carb'd 460 would be a nightmare I think, and would stink to get caught with. EPA sponsored jail suit in 3, 2, 1.... Not to mention, the olde schooll engines are pretty gutless compared to the modern modular. 460 is slower than a 5.4L! LOLz.
-
Best solution for a swap? Buy an entire beater Dodge 2wd or Ford 2wd with the engine of your choice. Swap the whole drivetrain in, ecm and all. Figure out how to bolt your xfer case to it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles