Help deciding which truck

LawnJockey

I am thinking about replacing my 95 f250 and I need some advice. Obviously 4x4 is a must. I prefer manual transmission. I am seriously considering diesel. If I go diesel I don't want it to be too loud as I will be using this for hunting. I do not want a data recorder so that limits me to the used market which is OK with me. I do a fair amount of long distance driving in the western states. I will be pulling a 16' trailer at times. I don't want something that will dent merely by looking at it (my f250).

What brands, models and years do you recommend and why? What should I stay away from and why?

Thanks

Dave

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Your OBS F-250 dents easily?

I would look at pretty much the same as what you've got, but with the specs you want. Or an F-350. Or what I have. Or a 12v Cummins Ram.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A 7.3L Ford would be my pick. That's about the only diesel I recommend for unloaded travel. Maybe certain year Duramax's as well, but I'm anti-GM. Just budget to get the auto trans rebuilt. I wouldn't overlook the 5.4L and 6.8L gassers with the right gears either.

LawnJockey

My current truck a 95 f250 has such thin metal on the body that a flat tire tore up the wheel well and tore up the body around the wheel too. I have noticed similar damage on other Ford trucks of the same vintage as well as tailgates that don't hold up. I am not a big fan of supporting Government Motors either but I hadn't thought about that in regards to my current search. As far as towing goes I will be towing a 2 wheel sheep wagon trailer.

How many miles can a diesel have on it and still be worth owning for several years?

98dango

Expedition Leader
Any rig gas or the big d will last if serviced. Diesel has its place but 16' is not it. You towing that small.of a trailer will likely never see a benifet of the cost. Things to remember 7.3 uses 15 quarts of oil $12 oil filter. Even a 460 uses 6 quarts and a $4 filter. Yes the fuel mileage will be not as good . I hear the well I get 20+ all the time but very few can back it up. On avrage older diesel trucks did not heals amazing fuel mileage. Yes there is a place I did a tone of research before I bought my last truck.

I run mostly empty 80% of the time. So diesel is not for me I live in 27' of trailer I easily tow this with my 5.4. I know the world wants diesel

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've owned many OBS Fords, and never found they dented easily. That said, I don't often run into things either.

If you want a quiet diesel, you are looking at an 04.5 and newer Cummins, a 03.5 and newer Powerstroke or whatever GM offered, but like most who have replied here, I'm not a fan of anything GM newer than about 1990.

I agree with some of the gasser options listed here too. While I love a diesel, if you want something for hunting out of, most of the simple older diesels are far too noisy. I would have seriously considered a gas truck for what I do now, but the only option Dodge has in the 3rd gen is the 5.7 which is not enough engine for a dually with 4000 lbs on its back and towing a 6000 lb Jeep.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I know what he means about the exploded tire eating the body. The OBS Ford were straighter there and easier to damage than the flared Superduties. But a blown tire can rip up just about anything. I had one grab a leaf spring on a trailer once and snap it like a twig. A 2008+ has an even larger wheelwell if you really want clearance. And the gas 2008's are starting to get cheap.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
I am not a big fan of supporting Government Motors either but I hadn't thought about that in regards to my current search.

That was initially a concern of mine, but goes away pretty quick once you realize you're likely buying it used, and can maintain the thing outside of a dealer using their parts. And you can debadge it. Of the big 3, I started looking at Fords first for political reasons but I was going to pick whatever was best, and ideally local, for my needs. Some of course are anti-this or anti-that brand. I'm anti-all 3 because they use unions. Again, less of a deal since I was buying used. My Chevy is an old tool. At heart, I'm actually an Audi guy and my daily is an old S8.

Here's some food for thought at what others are picking for their builds. Note the Suburbans. I almost did the same.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110884-Collection-of-Build-Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz