ignition disabler switch

louisiana

Observer
In preparations for a trip down to south America I am thinking about installing an ignition disabler type switch as a extra safety against the truck getting stolen. My idea is to install a hidden switch somewhere such as inside the center console or under the seat so that event if some one breaks into the truck and 12 volt system is disabled so the truck cant be moved. A simple idea would be something similar to a race car kill switch, but im interested to know if any one else has installed something similar or if there is a product made for such applications? In short im fishing for ideas to see whats out there .

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Electronic gold mine has some that come with a remote for under 10$

I put one in my van.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That's a great site Dawgboy, Ordered some hydraulic struts. Even with the shipping being more than the items it was still a bargain.

ert01

Adventurer
You don't need to kill all 12V power with a fancy expensive switch... just one critical component.

On my Jeep XJ I wired in a simple switch to cut off the fuel pump. Without fuel, the rig is going nowhere.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

louisiana

Observer
You don't need to kill all 12V power with a fancy expensive switch... just one critical component.

On my Jeep XJ I wired in a simple switch to cut off the fuel pump. Without fuel, the rig is going nowhere.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

this is an excellent idea. thanks for the simple idea

dddonkey

Adventurer
I had a friend use a headlight dimmer switch to do this, you know to old foot activated style ones. He installed it in the floor after his rig was stolen, and put it under the carpet. This way when he gets out or in no one sees him click the button. I believe he put it to the fuel pump and it cost him $20 with about of an hours work to do it.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
A simple fuel pump switch saved my Datsun 510 years ago. The thieves hot wired it but it died when it ran out of fuel. They pushed it for two blocks then gave up when it would not re-fire.

Zeep

Adventurer
Just pull the fuel pump relay! No need to install a switch. Thieves don't carry spare parts.

soonenough

Explorer
Not sure if these are new or not, but I'd never heard of them until the other day. It's a vehicle kill switch that you mount behind a plastic panel (up to 1/8" thick) on the dash/console/etc, and it senses the touch of your finger similar to the way a smartphone screen does. So there's absolutely nothing visible, you just have to know the correct place on the dash to touch with your finger to enable the vehicle to be started.

http://www.aeicomp.com/Detail.asp?Product_ID=303.075_SK551&Product=Invisible+Start+Kill+Switch

rfoubi

Observer
In my van I just took the ground wire off the fuel pump, and ran a new one to new ground in a hidden location, and then put a hidden switch there that i can flip covertly. Left the old fuel pump wiring in place tucked out of the way so if something goes bad with my new wiring I can just hook the old wire back up and not strand myself.

ALso, in my subaru I have an accessport engine management setup (code-reader, datalogger type deal that plugs into OBD II port.) Theres an anti-theft mode, and when you leave the vehicle, you just program your ECU with it. (aka press anti-theft mode on the controller) THen take the AP with you and the vehicle wont start without reprogramming the ECU. Good for the peace of mind.

Funny thing is how many times i flip the fuel pump kill when i go away for a few weeks, come back to start up the vehicle, and then it wont start. I give it 3-4 tries, curse, and then I remember the switch is flipped haha.

Riptide

Explorer
I always thought it would be handy to have one of those old headlight foot-operated switches connected to a timer. That way if your truck got jacked, you'd hit the switch on the way out, sight unseen, and the bandits could get away from you in the truck... ...for about a mile.

86tuning

Adventurer
When we do alarm installs we only ever disable the starter because if/when failure occurs, being stranded is better than having an engine stall at freeway speeds. And you can quickly diagnose and repair vs having something happen when you're driving.

So I have an aversion to ignition kill switches.

Fuel kill is only slightly better, it will slowly stall instead of abruptly stall, giving an alert driver a bit of warning so you can pull over safely.

Zeep

Adventurer
I would use a disable the starter method. Possibly in conjunction with a fuel disable or other.
You dont want your ************** thief to ruin a battery or starter by endlessly cranking your motor what will NEVER start because its fuel or computer is disabled.

As opposed to stripping your vehichle? I'd rather have my vehichle in proximity of where it was taken, with a dead battery. I'll continue to pull my fuel pump relay. Fast and 0 cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94