Spices

photo_i

Explorer
What spices do you carry on regular bases?

My must have list:

- sea salt, black pepper corns, cayenne powder, chili flakes, dry oregano, cumin powder, coarse paprika… What else did I forget?… And then, of course, lots of regional things :)

shogun

Adventurer
"la-yu chili oil, small jar with orange top.

S&B red chili pepper, small jar, red top, (red pepper with roasted sesame seeds)

Arabiki Garlic, "coarsely grinded garlic", small jar, tan top

Sansho japanese pepper, small jar green top.

Go to your local oriental food store.

OverlandXterra

Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Cumin, Chili Powder & Oregano. Not a spice, but I usually also carry a small bottle of Tapatio.

photo_i

Explorer
So, the next question would be what you keep as must have condiments for cooking, right? :) Olive oil, vinegar (balsamic & white), fish sauce, mayo, hot sauce, salsa, mustard, green curry paste… what else I'm forgetting?

mkitchen

Explorer
Keep them fresh

I have seen a lot of folks keep their spices with their camp gear. Spices should go back into the house after each trip. I use household seasonings that are packed for each trip. This way, they are always fresh and I pack with the foods that I intend to cook on that trip as well as some regulars that are always along. I still bring fresh garlic rather than granulated or chopped.
Mikey

My wife handles the spices lol. But I think we had about 15 different spices plus a few blends on the last outing.
Salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, oregano, and I really don't know the rest lol.
Blends I had my burger, steak, and pork chop mixes.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Not a spice, but I usually carry powdered chicken soup and onion soup packets. I find they are a really handy way to make a quick broth or gravy or to add flavour to sauces.

jpachard

Adventurer
Turmeric, Garam masala, black pepper, Thai chili’s, paprika, mustard seeds, salt, tapatillo, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. That covers most cuisines!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles