F250 and F350

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Casually considering one of these as a possible vehicle purchase in the next couple years or so.

Have a question. Other than the 'obvious' answer of 1/4 ton better...just how much stouter is the F-350 over the F-250 and is it worth the extra expense for moderate expedition travel.

By that I mean a vehicle able to

a) carry 3-4 people, a bed full of equipment and such, heavy duty bumpers and recovery equipment (heavy winch)

b) be able to handle about a 3 on the "Scotty Scale" as it was recently referred to:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/resources/expedition_handbook/trail_rating.htm

Also, interstate travel is a factor.

flywgn

Explorer
We've had the F250 (and before it the 2500s of GM). Only on this last purchase of the F250 SD 4X4 did I consider going to the F350 and when I made a list of what I expected out of the vehicle (all the items you mention plus 'payload') I came to the conclusion that the F250 more than satisfied our needs.

The stock Rancho 5000s which came with the "off-road" package didn't make a complete trip to Punta Bufeo. After about 15 miles of that road into and south of Puertecitos they were useless, so Bilstein reservoir shocks replaced them. I'm really happy with those.

We also switched out the OME 265 75R16s in favor of the slightly taller (only ½") but 3-ply sidewall 285 75R16s, and installed Firestone air bags on the rear suspension.

We added a Transferflow® 50gal tank w/tool box above in the bed and with 88 gallons we have a loooooooonnnnng range. We're getting 17+mpg w/o trailer and 13±mpg w/trailer. I love the beast. It's a geniune workhorse.

In answer to your trail question, we've had in on some tough trails in Baja, British Columbia, Yukon, and all over the western U.S. I don't go out looking for walls to crawl, but the vehicle has answered every call so far.

I like the fact that we haven't been able to overload it yet.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
That pretty much answers my question. No, not looking for walls of rock to crawl either. May try to sneak a trip to Moab in the Jeep while I still have it, just to say I have been there and done that. So far I have only been there. It was rather odd being in Moab on Easter Jeep Safari weekend with no Jeep. No 4x4 even...

I am more oriented towards finding how to get places few have ever been than trying to challenge my vehicle so much that parts breakage is almost a given. I don't quite get that whole aspect of offroading (rockcrawling).

The setup you have is a lot like what I was envisioning if I do decide to go the route of the effie (a tough call for a lifelong Chevy guy) I have a good road map and a clear idea of what I want to accomplish with it.

Are you running the Powerstroke or the gas engine? I am leaning strongly towards the diesel. Any comments?

Thanks!

flywgn

Explorer
Fat_Man said:
...Are you running the Powerstroke or the gas engine? I am leaning strongly towards the diesel. Any comments?

Thanks!

It's an '04 PSD. We purchased it in mid August '04 and drove over to Winslow, Flagstaff, and other points in order to get +500 miles on it before leaving for the Arctic Circle w/trailer. It now has >43K, so weeds have not grown up around the wheels.

My last Ford was a '69 F250 Camper Special 4X4 (gas). We put over 120K miles on that one and sold it to a friend who put ????? (odometer broke at 203K) on it before selling it yet again.

Then I switched to Chevy and had a bunch of great trucks and Suburbans, all gas and all 4X4s. The switch was owing to a change in ownership of the Ford dealership (in California) and a definite drop in service quality. I stuck with Chevy (good service and relatively good products) until the '02 Silverado 2500 Heavy Duty, extended cab, 4X4 "Off-Road" pkg began to fall apart (not sure just what the label referred to 'cause it sure wasn't HD or off-road equipped...the gas tank didn't even come std with a skid plate...go figure!).

The first 'event' happened w/less than 500 miles on it. The left rear taillight assembly fell out on the road between Punta Bufeo and Puertecitos and was hanging by the wires when another motorist alerted me. The mounting bracket had broken.

Then the bed rail cracked at each corner and when the Chevy claims rep said that it was because I had put a canopy on the bed I pointed out that it was the very same canopy pictured in their 8X10 glossy brochure. They still balked and wanted to know where I had been driving the truck. I told them that it had gone the same places our two Suburbans before it had gone and one of those was still in the family with over 200k miles on it.

Long story, Chevy did not want to admit structural failure and when I got the same stone-walling when the left rear under-fender fell down on the tire I drove into our Ford dealer here in Prescott and said something to the effect, "Will you take this POS off my hands?" They laughed and took me out into the back lot to see two more with the same problems. It seemed to have been endemic with the '04 extended cab 2500 models.

Anyway, that's how I came to own our Super Duty. Bet you're sorry you asked for "comments" now. :elkgrin:

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Nope, not at all sorry for asking for comments. It is actually exactly the kind of info I want.

Thanks for the story on the Chevy, because it just reinforces what I have been hearing. Despite being a lifelong Chevy guy, what I am seeing and hearing is that if you want the truck for anything more than putting around town and looking good (heck, they don't even look all that good anymore) that Chevy is NOT the way to go. Unfortunate seeing what was once a grand brand seemingly go to crap.

My father in law has a 94 F-150 with the ultra durable inline 6. He has put nearly 300,000 on it and it is still running. He recently bought a new F-150, but kept the old one, because why turn your back on all those years of dependability. He is a contractor, and the 94 is a extended cab long wheelbase with a topper and a bed full of tools. His work now has him more in a supervisory role most often, so he bought the new truck (a regular cab shortbed) for simple transportation. Strange thing is that he is ALSO a Chevy guy, but hasn't owned one in years.

Somewhere in the last 10 years or so, they took a left turn for the crapper and seem to only be headed further that direction.

Meanwhile, Ford, Dodge and Toyota continue on...

Anyway, thanks a ton. Or 3/4 ton, as it were....

Scott Brady

Founder
The Ford SD is an excellent daily driver and expedition platform. Perfect for Mexico, as Ford has great infrastructure there, and nearly all roads were designed with a full-size in mind.

91xlt

Adventurer
i like the 250s with the HD package. the diffs and suspension/payload are the biggest differenc between the 250, & 350. if you find or order a 250 with the HD package i beleive that bumps up to the 350 drivetrain components. my $.02 is that the 250 looks better and gen maint items like brake pads/rotors etc cost a little less. good luck!

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Good thing is that I have some time to casually look and learn about what is the best setup. Gonna pay the Jeep off first. It will be tough parting with a vehicle as fun as the Jeep, but I am seriously doubting that my wife will let me keep that many toys. I also have a '62 Chevy Bel Air project car, and am aching to get a motorcycle again. I sold my bike when I found out my wife was pregnant.

So lucky for me, she is surprisingly tolerant of my hobbies. Not so lucky for me is that none of my hobbies are cheap. However, I know she is with me on putting together a stout travel vehicle, because we both LOVE travel and have travelled extensively during our marriage. The motorcycle...she went for it once, but it might be a harder sell this time...

I briefly considered a '04 or older Taco too, but I think for me, the added space and size of the 250 will probably be the key. It will definitely be a used one, a 2-4 years old with some miles on it. The new 250's give me sticker shock...

91xlt

Adventurer
hey lot of luck to you and enjoj the research....sometimes its the thrill of the chase!!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Be sure to look into the fuel system problems that ford was having with the power choke's. I don't know if they ever got them fixed or not...but for awhile it was ugly...plenty of horror stories of people having their trucks in the shop for months at a time.

Something else to consider...the V configuration diesels (chevy and ford) just don't match the durability of the in-line B series cummins. Every Cummins has a 100K warranty on it...that just about covers the break-in period. After that, they loosen up, fuel milage goes up, and they just run....and run.....and run......The new(er) HPCR fuel systems are a huge improvement over the slightly older VP44 pumps (but the P7100 series pumps are still the most reliable, tuneable, and desirable pumps---the downside is the lift pump they used....not so great...but for $125 you can fix that).

No matter what brand you end up with, I suggest the oil burner over the gasser any day of the week. Fuel economy can't be beat when you get 'em loaded down, and there is always plenty of power there when you need it, particularaly with the newer vehicles. Even if you end up with an older rig, they are all very easy to modify to make very impressive numbers while retaining excellent fuel economy.

I'd suggest you check out the message boards for each of the 3 (ford, chevy, dodge), and see how many people are complaining about what. This will give you a better view of the "big picture" than you will find on this board. I don't recall the big diesel boards for ford and chevy....but http://www.turbodieselregister.com is where I go for the Dodge/Cummins info.

flywgn

Explorer
goodtimes said:
...Something else to consider...the V configuration diesels (chevy and ford) just don't match the durability of the in-line B series cummins. Every Cummins has a 100K warranty on it...that just about covers the break-in period. After that, they loosen up, fuel milage goes up, and they just run....and run.....and run......

I'd suggest you check out the message boards for each of the 3 (ford, chevy, dodge), and see how many people are complaining about what. This will give you a better view of the "big picture" than you will find on this board. I don't recall the big diesel boards for ford and chevy....but http://www.turbodieselregister.com is where I go for the Dodge/Cummins info.

I agree, and here's another good web site http://www.thedieselstop.com/

I wish that one could purchase a Ford chassis, etc, stick a Cummins engine/drive in it, with the Chev comfort level. Now that would be a package. :bowdown:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
flywgn said:
I agree, and here's another good web site http://www.thedieselstop.com/

I wish that one could purchase a Ford chassis, etc, stick a Cummins engine/drive in it, with the Chev comfort level. Now that would be a package. :bowdown:

I prefer the Dodge chassis to the Ford. The Fords I have been in have a very stiff ride compared to the Dodge. Of course, these were the super duty's, which at the time were still using leaf springs up front (not sure if they still are or not.....don't really keep up on the suspesion systems anymore), where Dodge uses a 4-link with coils. I do like the Chevy interiors though......of course none of them use shocks worth a crap.....that would be the first thing I changed if I didn't have a "plan" for the suspension on my dodge.....

turboale

Observer
Try and stay as far from the 6.0L Power Stroke as you can... Especially the 03-04 models. The EPA put the screws down on Ford and forced them to release an engine that was not yet ready for production and since then has been paying HEAVILY for it. I was just reading the other day about a guy who has 3 SDs in his business. They got an 04 F550 and it spent more time at the dealership than it did in their parking lot. Lucky for them Ford is doing right by them and getting them an 06 for about $4,800. I would do one of two things, a. wait for the new twin turbo motor to come out next year or get an 02/03 with a 7.3L in it. The main thing you will loose by staying with a 7.3L is the torqueshift transmission. The R400 isn't the most reliable tranny on the road but with a few relatively cheap preventive measures it should serve you and your needs very well. And you will have a much more reliable engine turning it as well. The key is finding one that has yet to be modded, I got lucky and not only found one that was un-modded but it was also driven by a grand-ma. I have put 10k mi on my 7.3 in 4 months and it has yet to even hiccup. Being a 7.3 guy I'm sure I get slightly biased info so do plenty of research before diving into anything but I would run as fast as I could from those first production year 6.0Ls in the 03 and early 04s.

my .02...

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
My boss has 75,000 miles on his 6.0 Powerstroke. 2 transmissions later, he is now experiencing engine problems (fuel system). His buddy had his engine (6.0) replaced at 15,000 mi.

He can't wait for 2009, when he hopes the Tundra diesel hits the market.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Just food for thought, the only difference between the 250/350 after 2001 (I believe) is the height of the rear blocks on the rear axle. All of the brake, axle, bearing parts are the same. The 7.3 has some minor problems, depending on who you listen to, but is a great motor. Also the Powerstrokes also have a 100k/5year warranty. I chose the 350, because I needed the extra capacity.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles