Mercedes-Benz 917 AF Renovation.

photo_i

Explorer
Now for our experiences with the truck.
With the interior complete it is very comfortable inside (although not as palatial as Perky Mog)

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

We love the wonderful homey feeling inside of your truck!!! :)

Joe917

Explorer
Top speed? 70mph at the end of a straight 5 mile downhill, with a tail wind!
We can run comfortably all day at 55mph (2200 rpm) but will lose speed on most climbs.
The truck is best at 50mph (2000 rpm) .

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
My wife and I have been checking out your blog, really nice photos. We are nearing the end of a 6+ year sailing circumnavigation and plan on when we return to the USA (next summer after crossing the Atlantic this winter) to, most likely sell the boat and move to an expedition rv to head out again. After months of research the 917 AF looks like it might be the right truck to start with. Due to budget I had planned on building my own using a Total Composites shell (this is if we could not find a used one that fits our wants). Really looking forward to the possibilities.

wischulte

Congratulations to that 917 AF

Because I plan to go to North America next year I found your interesting thread in this forum. Congratulations for choosing this vehicle. You'll never regret your decision.

May I introduce myself: My Name is William and I live in Germany and now I am retired.
Nine years ago I bought a German army MB truck 1017A (4x4) with 29000 km, planned the box and found a company which built it finally. The door and the connection to the driver's cab I manufactured as well as the windows, the interior, electric, solar panels (500 wp) etc. I'll ship it next summer to Halifax, travel first to Newfoundland, Trans Canada -Hwy up to Banff, then southwards to yellowstone down the USA and finally to Mexico (Baja California down and up) finally through the southern parts of the USA to Baltimore. From there wi'll ship our baby back to Germany. Duration of trip: 1 Year.

If you have any interesting stops in Canada, let me know. Thank you.

Regards
William

My Truck:
1017A.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
We are in Peru right now, on our way to Bolivia next week. The truck will be back in North America in the fall then up for sale.
The cushions we had made in Ottawa by an upholsterer before we left. All the woodwork done by myself.
We did have quite a bit of mechanical work done in Chile that had needed to be done for a while. Labor is considerably cheaper down here.

Sitec

Adventurer
We are in Peru right now, on our way to Bolivia next week. The truck will be back in North America in the fall then up for sale.
The cushions we had made in Ottawa by an upholsterer before we left. All the woodwork done by myself.
We did have quite a bit of mechanical work done in Chile that had needed to be done for a while. Labor is considerably cheaper down here.

Hi Joe. Are Neil and Pat still down that way (Cloud 9)?... Selling!? That'll be a hard thing to do! Cheers.

Joe917

Explorer
I have lost track of Niel and Pat for now, We did bounce a few emails back and forth, but we always seem to be going the opposite way! Neil will probably chime in soon!
Selling our home of 5 years that we have put a ton of work into will be OK, we will be moving on to our next project, a canal barge in Europe.
I will start adding more truck details to the post as we get closer to selling in the fall.
Thanks for the comments, Joe.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey Joe, we have friends in the UK that after sailing their catamaran from the UK to Thailand decided to build a canal boat in the UK. They are now living aboard and if you want I can put you in touch with them. Just send me an email.

Neil

Observer
Hi guys. We are still alive. We are currently back in the UK taking a break. Friends, family stuffs etc.

Our truck is in Lima Peru. We will be heading back in a month or so to continue north towards Ecuador and Columbia .

Not posted much for a while but still follow you all with enthusiasm.

The houseboat/ barge idea sounds fantastic. Someone told me that you can navigate from the north French coast to the south by canal. Cant verify this but it sounds feasible.

I love exciting new plans.

Our last adventure before we came back to the UK was Galapagos. We are still dining out on that.

Neil

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi guys. We are still alive. We are currently back in the UK taking a break. Friends, family stuffs etc.

Our truck is in Lima Peru. We will be heading back in a month or so to continue north towards Ecuador and Columbia .

Not posted much for a while but still follow you all with enthusiasm.

The houseboat/ barge idea sounds fantastic. Someone told me that you can navigate from the north French coast to the south by canal. Cant verify this but it sounds feasible.

I love exciting new plans.

Our last adventure before we came back to the UK was Galapagos. We are still dining out on that.

Neil

Good to hear all is good. Thought you'd gone quiet! Hope the truck is safe. How are you coping with UK life having been away for so long? I was there last Aug, and couldn't get out soon enough! :) Re the barge/houseboat Joe917, that sounds good... A very different pace of life! Neil, I recon you're right. Didn't Rick Stein do that trip on a wide beam dutch barge? All the way from the UK to the Med via canal... Limited UK use tho as I think its only the Grand Union and Kennet and Avon Canal that are 'wide beam' canals. Poss only a 60 foot max length too... Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles