Awing Experts

codename607

Adventurer
Hey guys,

Since I just recently sold my rtt I'm looking into purchasing a awning to use in its place. I'm thinking about going with the CVT 99" Awning and getting the walls with it.

Does anyone have any experience using these in replace of tents? I've never seen one in person but I would imagine that the size would work for 2x adults and a child but I'm not sure. Also, would these awnings hold up to heavy rains and relatively high winds?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I've thought about this too. I remember seeing a couple of pics of Paul May (Equipt) doing this. It's in his epic build thread. I'm pretty sure his entire set up is Eezi-Awn.

From the very little research that I've done, most awning manufacturers have solid walls available but they usually only provide three walls, as opposed to four. The wall that's missing is where the awning attaches to the vehicle. Here in Florida, we'd definitely need a sealed, 4 sided wall + zipped in floor system to mitigate the bugs and rain.

java

Expedition Leader
Ive spent many nights under a tarp. I dont see an awning being any worse! The only problem i see is being high off the ground, with no walls you will get blown in rain. With sides may not be a big deal though.

I have a CVT one and am happy with it. Get the biggest one that you can IMO

codename607

Adventurer
I've thought about this too. I remember seeing a couple of pics of Paul May (Equipt) doing this. It's in his epic build thread. I'm pretty sure his entire set up is Eezi-Awn.

From the very little research that I've done, most awning manufacturers have solid walls available but they usually only provide three walls, as opposed to four. The wall that's missing is where the awning attaches to the vehicle. Here in Florida, we'd definitely need a sealed, 4 sided wall + zipped in floor system to mitigate the bugs and rain.

I've some companies that have made walls for their awnings but I wasn't sure how secure they are. Seems like most of them are connected with velcro on the top and I would think that a small gust of wind would come through it.

I've seen his build but don't remember seeing anything about him sleeping in the awning…must have over looked that part. I'll check it back out again. Thanks!

Ive spent many nights under a tarp. I dont see an awning being any worse! The only problem i see is being high off the ground, with no walls you will get blown in rain. With sides may not be a big deal though.

I have a CVT one and am happy with it. Get the biggest one that you can IMO

I wouldn't mind just sleeping under the stairs but my girlfriend would much rather be inside a tent so thats the main reason why I'm considering a awning with walls. Do you have the walls with your CVT?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
I recently went on an adventure up through southern and central Utah, and used exactly what you are referring to as my shelter. I used an Eezi-Awn Series 2000 2.5M awning and what they call a Rec Vee Panel Set. It is a solid 3 wall set that attaches to the awning with a set of steel rods from the awning case to the outside roll, and a male/female welt built into the awning roll. A very solid set up, and with the awning mounted tight to the truck there wasn't much need for the 4th wall. Only ingress was from under the truck. You can stake the walls down too. There is a big 3 panel window (clear/solid/screen) and a door to the back. I used an XL cot inside. The room is roughly 81"L x 98"W.

_MG_5675.JPG

Rec Vee Panel Set Link

Let me know if you have questions. Happy to help.

Cheers,

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I seriously considered that option and even purchased an awning and walls but had some issues with fit. If I did this again I would get a custom rear wall made that had zippered access to at least one side door of the vehicle and full coverage to the ground to keep out bugs, wind, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codename607

Adventurer
I recently went on an adventure up through southern and central Utah, and used exactly what you are referring to as my shelter. I used an Eezi-Awn Series 2000 2.5M awning and what they call a Rec Vee Panel Set. It is a solid 3 wall set that attaches to the awning with a set of steel rods from the awning case to the outside roll, and a male/female welt built into the awning roll. A very solid set up, and with the awning mounted tight to the truck there wasn't much need for the 4th wall. Only ingress was from under the truck. You can stake the walls down too. There is a big 3 panel window (clear/solid/screen) and a door to the back. I used an XL cot inside. The room is roughly 81"L x 98"W.
Let me know if you have questions. Happy to help.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info Paul. I really like your setup and this maybe what I start out with. I'll let you know if I have any questions.

-Terrill

I seriously considered that option and even purchased an awning and walls but had some issues with fit. If I did this again I would get a custom rear wall made that had zippered access to at least one side door of the vehicle and full coverage to the ground to keep out bugs, wind, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping out the bugs is one of my major concerns, especially being out here on the east cost.

Luke111

Observer
I know your considering an awning with side panels but have you considered an awning like the Foxwing with the Oztent that zips to the Foxwing. Secure from bugs and small creatures and lots of space..

Attachments

• foxwing-foxwing-attached-to-an-oztent-974.jpg
    foxwing-foxwing-attached-to-an-oztent-974.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles